Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tdcour View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. I'll keep browsing around and see what I end up with. Anyone use them to rest a gun on or anything like that?
    I also use the Black Diamond with the cork handles. A few years ago, two of us backpacked into some tough WY territory & were snow/fogged in for the first 3 days. On the morning of day 4, I poked my head out of the tent & some deer were at the edge of the fog-line. I sat in the snow in my long johns and used the crossed poles as a very firm shooting platform. I had practiced with them, and it can make for a very secure base if needed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 783 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICMIC View Post
    I also use the Black Diamond with the cork handles. A few years ago, two of us backpacked into some tough WY territory & were snow/fogged in for the first 3 days. On the morning of day 4, I poked my head out of the tent & some deer were at the edge of the fog-line. I sat in the snow in my long johns and used the crossed poles as a very firm shooting platform. I had practiced with them, and it can make for a very secure base if needed.
    I bet that was a warm welcome after being stuck in your tent.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I bet that was a warm welcome after being stuck in your tent.
    Yeah, it sure was. It was one of those trips where I was introducing a younger hunter to the joys of deep immersion hunts in the mountains. He actually shot a very nice 4x4, but his job put limitations of only 5 days to hunt. So, in my case it turned into a meat hunt since it took a full day to pack out the meat, and another day to retrieve our camp. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	21069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1814.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	21070

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RICMIC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 54 Times in 17 Posts
    Highly recommend hitting estate/garage sales for these. I have two sets of fixed high-tech poles from estate sales that cost less than $20 combined; like new, one of them is CF, both have carbide tips, etc. They morphed from ski poles to "trekking poles" when I tore off the basket on the end. Save your money for gas. My two cents, good luck buddy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I got a pair of Mountiansmith this year for Christmas very nice. Had a cheapO pair from Sams club and they worked just fine too. Just can't see super high dollar for some things, when others work just fine for the job!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 783 Times in 131 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by conibear View Post
    Highly recommend hitting estate/garage sales for these. I have two sets of fixed high-tech poles from estate sales that cost less than $20 combined; like new, one of them is CF, both have carbide tips, etc. They morphed from ski poles to "trekking poles" when I tore off the basket on the end. Save your money for gas. My two cents, good luck buddy.
    I never think about looking for gear at sales like garage or estate, great idea
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123