Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 5 Posts

Its running, sit ups, heavy pack hikes and lots of stretching (basic yoga) for me. And it began Jan 1, usual takes me 6 months to get in mountain shape.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 11 Posts
    Squat, run(slowly, hiking with a weighted pack.

Thinking about mixing it up this year and focusing on curls instead. Help with those hero grip n grins and Instagram posts.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsenhike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 269 Times in 59 Posts
    One exercise I started doing a few years ago is shoulder shrugs. It really helped to keep me from getting sore shoulders when packing out elk quarters. It also cut down on the fatigue of having a daypack with my water bladder and a rifle hanging off my shoulders for a week climbing the mountains. I also go to my tip toes when I have my shoulders at their highest position to work my calves.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,334 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 290 Times in 94 Posts
    Gr8Bawana,

I also like doing shrugs... but I just like looking jacked!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,441 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 886 Times in 153 Posts
    Hiking, stair stepper, and hiking

My lead technician is going to Nepal this December for a trek with a group of people for 2 weeks. He doesn?t own a backpack and doesn?t hunt or go to the mountains at all. I am going to help him train and get into hiking shape with a 30 lb pack.
    They will have stops for food and water so his pack will be a bit lighter then usual for a week in the mountains.
    We will be hiking and trail running, (more like a fast walk, I don?t run, bad knees) with a pack. This will get us both ready since we will start this summer and do some weekend coyote trips in the mountains and get him some experience for what he is getting into.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 8 Posts
    Spend spring and summer months on my road bike (30-40 mile rides) and ride my mountain bike at higher elevations (15-20 mile rides). Do some walking with my pack on my back about 5 miles loaded with about 25lbs of lead shot (bagged lol).
    Also, spend time at gym (3 days week) lifting weights lightly. My leg strength and cardio are my thing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Got a good laugh at the shake weight! haha

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 283 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Walking/running lots and lots of stairs always seems to help me get ready for all the up and down inclines. I live in a pancake flat area of Nebraska so no hills to use in my workouts...
    X2.

Carry a 40# pack up and down the stairs until you are out of breath and your legs are burning. Do that every day before your trip for a month or two and you'll outperform most people on the mountain.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 32 Times in 10 Posts
    I'm quickly getting on the wrong side of middle age, and have discovered that youth isn't very helpful in helping me get up the mountain anymore. As a flat lander I don't use the muscles on a daily basis that are required for gaining elevation. I've been trying to run more and hike with weight as much as possible, but still mix in a good amount of picking up and moving heavy things also.

1. weighted lunges
    2. deadlifts
    3. squats

I heard some famous elk killer/workout guru say one time, "An elk hunter is built from the quads up."
    I believe that he was right on that one.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Mavis For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 18 Posts

Push Aways... kinda like benchpress but all you need is a table, chair and correctly portioned meals; when done with the meal plant palms on the table edge and push, if done correctly your chair will slide away from the table creating adequate distance from your plate for you to then transition into a squat stand coupled with a pivot left or right and a deliberate walk away that preferably consists of around 10 -20 k steps.

For the beginner just start by placing the index finger of your dominant hand on the edge of your plate and extend your arm in a smooth controlled motion. Thus, "pushing away" the plate beyond normal arm's reach. Work toward the chair "push away" combined with the squat/stand/pivot/step. Done with consistency the exercise program will have astonishing results.

Stay tuned for my "No Thank You" self talk psychological reform protocol.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to THelms For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123