Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts

Wyoming Unit 11 Archery Elk

I am somewhat new to the forum. I am a born and raised okie who has been hunting whitetails forever and I decided to start applying out of state for elk, deer and antelope.I read you guys posts daily but rarely comment and I appreciate you experienced guys helping us new guys with your hard earned knowledge.

I was fortunate to draw a unit 11 archery only (type 9) elk tag as a nonresident. I have never set foot on this unit and I am planning two scouting trips and would appreciate some general information on this unit to get the most out of my scouting. I am not wanting anyones honey holes and I am definitely willing to use up some boot leather and do the necessary work to be successful.

What I have read so far about the national forest land on this unit is that the northern half is very thick timber. The southern half is more open but steeper. Access to the forest service land is really good so there really isn't many areas where you can get more than a mile or two off the roads.

There is some state land on the north end of the unit but it is pretty heavily checker boarded with private and I bet accessing most of it is near impossible without paying a trespass fee.

I will have a week and a half to hunt and would really like to harvest the best possible bull that this area holds. 350" appears to be possible but relatively rare on public land. With general hunt areas on all sides I am not to sure that I shouldn't shoot the first 300" bull that I see. Any information on this unit would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Congratulations to y02MDM For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    y02MDM, I sent you a private message.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,671 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 175 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by y02MDM View Post
    I am somewhat new to the forum. I am a born and raised okie who has been hunting whitetails forever and I decided to start applying out of state for elk, deer and antelope.I read you guys posts daily but rarely comment and I appreciate you experienced guys helping us new guys with your hard earned knowledge.

I was fortunate to draw a unit 11 archery only (type 9) elk tag as a nonresident. I have never set foot on this unit and I am planning two scouting trips and would appreciate some general information on this unit to get the most out of my scouting. I am not wanting anyones honey holes and I am definitely willing to use up some boot leather and do the necessary work to be successful.

What I have read so far about the national forest land on this unit is that the northern half is very thick timber. The southern half is more open but steeper. Access to the forest service land is really good so there really isn't many areas where you can get more than a mile or two off the roads.

There is some state land on the north end of the unit but it is pretty heavily checker boarded with private and I bet accessing most of it is near impossible without paying a trespass fee.

I will have a week and a half to hunt and would really like to harvest the best possible bull that this area holds. 350" appears to be possible but relatively rare on public land. With general hunt areas on all sides I am not to sure that I shouldn't shoot the first 300" bull that I see. Any information on this unit would be greatly appreciated.

You have the right attitude and expectations to have a great hunt. If a solid 6 point bull shows itself...especially with 10 days or so to get it done, take it! 350 bulls are possible in any unit, but the reality is that they are needles in hay stacks with the exception of a couple units here and even then it is a good idea to not look a gift horse in the mouth.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    You have the right attitude and expectations to have a great hunt. If a solid 6 point bull shows itself...especially with 10 days or so to get it done, take it! 350 bulls are possible in any unit, but the reality is that they are needles in hay stacks with the exception of a couple units here and even then it is a good idea to not look a gift horse in the mouth.
    Thanks Scott. That's good advice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 4 Posts
    ill be in 11 with a gun. im gonna try to get a trip in in august to get my sea legs. lots of timber.
    how many points did ya have?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod View Post
    ill be in 11 with a gun. im gonna try to get a trip in in august to get my sea legs. lots of timber.
    how many points did ya have?
    I drew the special draw with 5 pts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 80 Times in 18 Posts

When you come through Laramie, stop at The LIbrary for a great local made beer and hunting talk.
    Some local hunters and guides hang out there and you might catch some good info.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wy-tex For This Useful Post: