Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Wyoming Unit 11 Archery Elk

    I am somewhat new to the forum. I am a born and raised okie who has been hunting whitetails forever and I decided to start applying out of state for elk, deer and antelope.I read you guys posts daily but rarely comment and I appreciate you experienced guys helping us new guys with your hard earned knowledge.

    I was fortunate to draw a unit 11 archery only (type 9) elk tag as a nonresident. I have never set foot on this unit and I am planning two scouting trips and would appreciate some general information on this unit to get the most out of my scouting. I am not wanting anyones honey holes and I am definitely willing to use up some boot leather and do the necessary work to be successful.

    What I have read so far about the national forest land on this unit is that the northern half is very thick timber. The southern half is more open but steeper. Access to the forest service land is really good so there really isn't many areas where you can get more than a mile or two off the roads.

    There is some state land on the north end of the unit but it is pretty heavily checker boarded with private and I bet accessing most of it is near impossible without paying a trespass fee.

    I will have a week and a half to hunt and would really like to harvest the best possible bull that this area holds. 350" appears to be possible but relatively rare on public land. With general hunt areas on all sides I am not to sure that I shouldn't shoot the first 300" bull that I see. Any information on this unit would be greatly appreciated.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Congratulations to y02MDM For This Post:


  3. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mid-west
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    y02MDM, I sent you a private message.

  4. #3
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4,605
    Thanks
    419
    Thanked 2,671 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Congratulations
    43
    Congratulated 175 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by y02MDM View Post
    I am somewhat new to the forum. I am a born and raised okie who has been hunting whitetails forever and I decided to start applying out of state for elk, deer and antelope.I read you guys posts daily but rarely comment and I appreciate you experienced guys helping us new guys with your hard earned knowledge.

    I was fortunate to draw a unit 11 archery only (type 9) elk tag as a nonresident. I have never set foot on this unit and I am planning two scouting trips and would appreciate some general information on this unit to get the most out of my scouting. I am not wanting anyones honey holes and I am definitely willing to use up some boot leather and do the necessary work to be successful.

    What I have read so far about the national forest land on this unit is that the northern half is very thick timber. The southern half is more open but steeper. Access to the forest service land is really good so there really isn't many areas where you can get more than a mile or two off the roads.

    There is some state land on the north end of the unit but it is pretty heavily checker boarded with private and I bet accessing most of it is near impossible without paying a trespass fee.

    I will have a week and a half to hunt and would really like to harvest the best possible bull that this area holds. 350" appears to be possible but relatively rare on public land. With general hunt areas on all sides I am not to sure that I shouldn't shoot the first 300" bull that I see. Any information on this unit would be greatly appreciated.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You have the right attitude and expectations to have a great hunt. If a solid 6 point bull shows itself...especially with 10 days or so to get it done, take it! 350 bulls are possible in any unit, but the reality is that they are needles in hay stacks with the exception of a couple units here and even then it is a good idea to not look a gift horse in the mouth.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    You have the right attitude and expectations to have a great hunt. If a solid 6 point bull shows itself...especially with 10 days or so to get it done, take it! 350 bulls are possible in any unit, but the reality is that they are needles in hay stacks with the exception of a couple units here and even then it is a good idea to not look a gift horse in the mouth.
    Thanks Scott. That's good advice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    254
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 48 Times in 36 Posts
    Congratulations
    39
    Congratulated 35 Times in 4 Posts
    ill be in 11 with a gun. im gonna try to get a trip in in august to get my sea legs. lots of timber.
    how many points did ya have?

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod View Post
    ill be in 11 with a gun. im gonna try to get a trip in in august to get my sea legs. lots of timber.
    how many points did ya have?
    I drew the special draw with 5 pts.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    SE Wyoming
    Posts
    684
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 278 Times in 197 Posts
    Congratulations
    62
    Congratulated 80 Times in 18 Posts

    When you come through Laramie, stop at The LIbrary for a great local made beer and hunting talk.
    Some local hunters and guides hang out there and you might catch some good info.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to wy-tex For This Useful Post:


 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •