Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Helical arrows

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    Ok so I see my test for when I get home.....will fletch two new ones with the helical I've been using for a while and one straight and listen to her.
    A while back i set up a video camera next to my target for the hell of it and with helical blazers you can definitely hear the arrow coming. The deer that i have taken with this same setup haven't noticed apparently. Personally i feel there are more important things to worry about when bow hunting than a little arrow flight noise.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to packer58 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 194 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packer58 View Post
    A while back i set up a video camera next to my target for the hell of it and with helical blazers you can definitely hear the arrow coming. The deer that i have taken with this same setup haven't noticed apparently. Personally i feel there are more important things to worry about when bow hunting than a little arrow flight noise.
    I don't disagree......however we had a 195" plus mulely side step an arrow 2 years ago.....picked up the arrow mid flight ......shuffled his front quarters, both legs.........and watched the arrow go below his nose and in front of his chest.....If I didn't see it I wouldn't believe it.....he in my opinion has done it before. I'm always looking to quiet up as much as possible after that.

Bow was tuned, quiet as hell....later found my sons QAD rest was making a clicking noise.

My son did a 4 hour no boots stalk to get him broadside at 42 yards only to see that happen.....it was a crusher to say the least and will keep me up at night for a while

Always looking for another little edge.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Damn, that would keep me up at night also. As rare as those opportunities are on magnum bucks that must have been a real heart breaker for sure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Agree with everything. They are louder. But trust me, they hear a straight arrow just as much as a helical especially when you put a Broadhead on the end; fixed or mechanical they make noise.

Once you reach a certain yardage, if they’re calm, they don’t even pay it attention. I’ve found at 40 yards the deer almost wait there for it. But at 10-30 they’re moving before the fletching clears the rest.

Just my experience.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 49 Times in 16 Posts
    I won't use blazers, they make more noise whether helical or offset
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 2 Posts
    I have been using aae max stealth vanes on my 5mm Easton axis arrows. I think I am somewhere around 2-3 degrees on a helical clamp on my bitz. I think there is some noise still, but I get great arrow flight with a little bit of helical. I know a lot of people swear on a 1-2 degree offset on a straight clamp, but I have had good results out of my setup.

I really think the blazer vanes are loud no matter how you set them up. I also have had some clearance issues with my arrow rests using them, so I went to a slightly longer and thinner vane.

That's my $.02

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    I just did some testing with blazers and flex fletch 200, fully helical and could not tell a difference in noise standing down range. They both hiss. Animals jump the string at the sound of the bow, not the flight of the arrow. However I do lose trajectory past 70 yds with full helical.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPickar View Post
    I just did some testing with blazers and flex fletch 200, fully helical and could not tell a difference in noise standing down range. They both hiss. Animals jump the string at the sound of the bow, not the flight of the arrow. However I do lose trajectory past 70 yds with full helical.
    Are flex fletches supposed to be a quieter vane? Also, even with the loss of trajectory do you still use helicals?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bowrunner View Post
    Are flex fletches supposed to be a quieter vane? Also, even with the loss of trajectory do you still use helicals?
    Yes Flex fletch are half the thickness as blazers and an grain lighter. They are just as rigid too. Yes I still shoot helical, I get the best accuracy out to 100 with with a COC head (COC gravedigger), full helical. All the testing with offset vanes and COC heads I've done have resulted in groups opening up past 70. A possible fix to the is 4 offset vanes, but then you get drag because of the extra fletch and I don't like vanes touching my face at full draw with 4 fletch.
    Last edited by DanPickar; 03-05-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Ok good to know. I am running a new setup this year so I will do some testing as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast