Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 44 Times in 15 Posts

Polaris Ranger or Polaris Sportsman atv

Can?t decide between a sportsman or ranger!

Tough decision, I know right.

Cost and size are my only concern with the ranger. But I think the benefits are greater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 215 Times in 48 Posts
    Have you ever owned a machine? Have you ever owned a polaris?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes a 400 sportsman and loved it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts
    Really two different machines intended for almost the same thing.

It will all depend on what you plan on doing with them. I am a 4 wheeler type of rider. I go places where it isn't legal to take a side by side because of the width. But if you don't go those type of places then the ranger might be the right machine. One of the pluses of the ranger is that you can bring a friend quite easily and it doesn't disrupt the balance of it where 2 people on the sportsman does.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts
    As said...2 different machines. I've owned both. Had a Polaris Sportsman 500 for 10 years. Very dependable and did a great job. In fact I had 2, one for me & one for the wife. Sold both 2 years ago and bought a used Yamaha Rhino 700, which is a great machine too. I don't have to wear a rain suit and can stay relatively warm & dry. 2 can ride great with a tilt bed for cargo like an elk or deer. My Rhino is 49" wide. Most of the width restrictions around here are that it must be less than 50" wide to go on the restricted trails. 2 disadvantages for me are that it gets a lot less mileage and is noisier than my Sportsman 500.

Would I ever go back....hell no!

[B][/RANGERB]
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 02-27-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So it?s will be used in Kansas and Missouri mostly and occasionally heading west if needed. No width restrictions here. A positive would be hauling the kids and wife plus gear.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 215 Times in 48 Posts
    Have you checked out the Honda Pioneers? I really like mine and I have not broken it yet. (Which is pretty impressive).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mallardsx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mallardsx2 View Post
    Have you checked out the Honda Pioneers? I really like mine and I have not broken it yet. (Which is pretty impressive).
    I have not looked at Honda. I found a decent deal on a 2018 570 full size.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 153 Times in 20 Posts
    I own a 2006 Honda Foreman 500, but bought a new Polaris Ranger in 2015. Places I have been there hasn't been any width restrictions. It has saved my truck from getting beat up. The downfall is like CC said, much noiser than my ATV.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 2 Posts

I've lived in Kansas, Arizona, Utah, California, and now Montana and I've ridden several models of Polaris machines in all these states, my current machine is a CanAm Outlander Max XT with the 650 motor.

The reasons I chose this machine were based on my experiences with a Ranger, a General, and an older Polaris 4-wheeler.

Obviously the Outlander is narrower and I can get in to the restricted trails with it.

The side by side machines are more comfortable to some degree but they are easier to handle in bad weather, not withstanding Kansas winds. One of the problems I've already had to solve was how to drive my Outlander in a blizzard without being blinded by the snow and ice. I solved that problem by using a face mask and goggles. As for a side by side being warmer, I'd say that this depends on the circumstances. If you have no doors then I don't think that they are any warmer, with doors it's warmer at first but without a cab heater it will slowly get just as cold as a 4-wheeler but without the wind chill.

A side by side is so large that it tends to get high centered in deep snow, the flat bottom of the machine presses the snow down and causes it to ice over, you end up being high centered on an ice pillar. The only way off that ice pillar is to dig all of the snow out from under the machine. A 4-wheeler can have the same problem but it's a smaller machine and it takes a lot less time to dig it out.

Another issue I have with the side by sides is that they have a far higher center of gravity and they will tip over easier than a 4-wheeler, if the side by side tips over you aren't going to tip it back upright by yourself and while it's difficult to do it to a 4-wheeler, it can still be done.

A 4-wheeler doesn't have the storage space of a side by side but you can overcome that problem with a small trailer or a snow sled, both of which are actually a better solution than the limited bed size of a side by side. Both machines can get more storage space by buying a larger trailer or sled but I can see what I'm towing better on a 4-wheeler so it's easier to check my load from time to time. The side by side's heavier weight would allow you to tow a larger load than the 4-wheeler.

Another advantage of a heavier side by side is that, if you have a winch, you can pull a heavier object but that can be overcome by anchoring either machine to some heavy object.

My Outlander is a 2-up style so I can have a second person on board with me.
    Last edited by rammont; 02-27-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast