Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ya we have had 1 bear come into camp while camping in unit 44 one summer, one shot in the ground and he scared off pretty quick. I have my 10mm on my hip at all times while hunting or camping for a just in case.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lions scare me a lot more than bears... hunting unit 211 the past couple of years is what lead me to getting my 10mm for a side arm, finding cat tracks right on top of yours when you were just through there a hour ago gets a little worrisome.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecollector View Post
    Buy a bear tag then you'll be guaranteed NOT to see one!
    Isn't that the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jas1984 View Post
    Lions scare me a lot more than bears... hunting unit 211 the past couple of years is what lead me to getting my 10mm for a side arm, finding cat tracks right on top of yours when you were just through there a hour ago gets a little worrisome.
    Lions are like any other cat, they are curious and will follow hunters just to see what you are up to. But they are also big wimps when confronted face to face. The big thing with cats is not to run away from them, if you do it will trigger the chase insistent in them and they will be on top of you before you know it.

I have actually watched a lion track a hunter around and over a hill walking right in the hunters tracks through some thick brush. They just like to know what is going on.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    Isn't that the truth.

Lions are like any other cat, they are curious and will follow hunters just to see what you are up to. But they are also big wimps when confronted face to face. The big thing with cats is not to run away from them, if you do it will trigger the chase insistent in them and they will be on top of you before you know it.

I have actually watched a lion track a hunter around and over a hill walking right in the hunters tracks through some thick brush. They just like to know what is going on.
    Makes sense and ya I have read not to run away so that the plan if I do ever come across one face to face. Just don't like the fact you can't hear them, all the bears I have seen seem to make some noise as they walk along.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts
    A couple of the bears that I have had walk into me came in as quiet as death itself. It was interesting watching them come in and how careful they were doing it.

A person can learn a lot by watching a predator move through the forest.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    A couple of the bears that I have had walk into me came in as quiet as death itself. It was interesting watching them come in and how careful they were doing it.

A person can learn a lot by watching a predator move through the forest.
    We learn something new everyday, I have probably been around a lot more bears than I thought. I haven't seen a lot but what I have seen all made slight grunting noises and they weren't very graceful with walking lol, they weren't stalking anything tho so that might change if they were.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 17 Posts

Black bears are often referred to as, "The black ghost." I'm not a bear hunter, but have several friends who are, and they seldom hear a bear before it appears close to the bait pile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12