Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 17 Posts

Many juries are likely over represented by older folks simply because many of them have the time, and it is something interesting for them to do. Depending on the case and the evidence, that could be a plus or minus for the defendant. I was once the arresting officer for a drunk driving case. The defense attorney packed the 6 person jury with people who don't play cards. His defense was focused around the fact that his client had played in a cribbage tournament on the night of his infraction, and that cribbage is so complicated that it is impossible to play while intoxicated. The jury bought it. The guy had to rub in in that he "kicked my ass" in court. I was paid overtime to appear, and his attorney cost him $5,000, so I didn't lose any sleep over it. He was nailed (and convicted) twice more by other officers after that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 93 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICMIC View Post
    Many juries are likely over represented by older folks simply because many of them have the time, and it is something interesting for them to do. Depending on the case and the evidence, that could be a plus or minus for the defendant. I was once the arresting officer for a drunk driving case. The defense attorney packed the 6 person jury with people who don't play cards. His defense was focused around the fact that his client had played in a cribbage tournament on the night of his infraction, and that cribbage is so complicated that it is impossible to play while intoxicated. The jury bought it. The guy had to rub in in that he "kicked my ass" in court. I was paid overtime to appear, and his attorney cost him $5,000, so I didn't lose any sleep over it. He was nailed (and convicted) twice more by other officers after that.
    yep. uneducated jurors are a defense attorneys dream.
    stupid , lazy,honest folks are the reason crime thrives
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 90 Times in 27 Posts
    I was the lucky recipient of a summons in the mail for jury duty next week. My second time in the last 12 years. I didn't get selected the first time and am hoping the same holds true for this one. While I know it may be a good experience, there are a few more important things I need that time for personally right now!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts
    Our jury of was represented by a pretty good cross section of OUR LOCAL population. Our county has lots of retired people, lots of working adults, lots of young people (mostly underemployed) and very few minorities. The jury had 4 men & 2 women, 2 men in their 70's, 3 people in their 40's and a young women who was 18. No minorities. IMO a good cross section of OUR community.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 93 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finsandtines View Post
    I was the lucky recipient of a summons in the mail for jury duty next week. My second time in the last 12 years. I didn't get selected the first time and am hoping the same holds true for this one. While I know it may be a good experience, there are a few more important things I need that time for personally right now!
    there always is .
    but participating in a jury is to our benefit ,not the criminals.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 7 Posts

there are ways around that...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123