Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 93 Times in 32 Posts

I have been on jury duty twice, only sat a trial once and it lasted for half the day before the lawyers plead out a deal and the scumbag walked.

can't say I enjoy jury duty but was sure looking forward to playing a part in that dirtbags punishment.

he and another stole a car the the passenger leaned out the window with a screwdriver scraping other cars as they passed .
    it is my opinion that those who do these things do not deserve to share our oxygen
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 17 Posts
    I've never been called for jury duty, but I was a cop for 25 years, and then worked for 5 years for the US Marshalls as federal court security. Lawyers are one of the few occupations where if we didn't have them we wouldn't need them. I do feel sorry for someone who is self employed who is called for duty, because it will be a big financial loser for them.
    Kidoggy; no defense attorney worth a damn would ever let you sit on his client's jury. But, you would be a prosecutors dream.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RICMIC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by RICMIC View Post
    I've never been called for jury duty, but I was a cop for 25 years, and then worked for 5 years for the US Marshalls as federal court security. Lawyers are one of the few occupations where if we didn't have them we wouldn't need them. I do feel sorry for someone who is self employed who is called for duty, because it will be a big financial loser for them.
    Kidoggy; no defense attorney worth a damn would ever let you sit on his client's jury. But, you would be a prosecutors dream.
    depends on wether I think they are guilty or not.
    I don't generally take it on faith that the accused is guilty until is proven to me to be so.

but once proven, I am all for maximum sentences

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts
    What I didn't say in my OP was that this is my 6th time on jury duty in the last 50 years. I've been on juries 4 times and was Foreman once. It is sometimes a PITA, but with that said, it is our civic duty to serve. The basis of our legal system is innocent until proven guilty and judged by a jury of your peers. Not a perfect system, bet the best in the world IMHO. This particular trial was really screwed up by the County DA. He made a mistake and got caught...nuff said. New trial scheduled for April, which I'll not be serving as I have done my responsible citizen duty for the next year.

Jury duty gets to be a problem if someone is self employed or does not get paid by their employer. There are remedies to get out of JD under these (and more) situations.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts
    Jury duty is one of the burdens that you need to bear when you live in a county with a small population base.

When I first moved to Eagle County it wasn't unheard of for the judge to send a couple county sheriffs to the local grocery store to find jurors. The first time that I was called and they called the roll the judge said that he was then going to issue bench warrants for those that did not show up, and that if their addresses were correct he was going to haul them in.

Since that time I have been called multiple times just to show up and sit around while they either picked the jury or while the lawyers plea bargained a outcome. I have heard just about every excuse to get out of jury service that there is. One of the best was by a lady that just didn't want to serve. She was picked to sit on the felony trial of 13 jurors. That is 12 to actually decided the case one one alternate. She was there all 3 days and then when the lawyers were finished and before we were sent to decide the persons faith they picked a juror number to send home. Yep, her number was picked to leave. She stormed out of the court house.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    yep always some trying to weasle out of their civic duty.

I doubt many of them will be disappointed to get a jury of peers if they are ever in the hotseat though

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts
    Our county (Montezuma) has between 25 & 30,000 population. Don't know how many are eligible for jury duty, bet is around half. When I first moved here after I retired in 2000, I was summoned for jury duty...8 people showed up and the judge was very unhappy. They now really go after those that don't show up.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Civic Duty doesn't pay the mortgage or grocery bill for a working stiff.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 68 Times in 16 Posts
    Only been called once. It was for a coed rape case. I had daughters pretty close to that age but wasn't asked that. Instead, one attorney asked if I would weigh circumstantial or eyewitness testimony more strongly. The way he asked it, he seemed to be leaning toward eyewitness testimony and when I answered that I would consider both he decided he didn't want me on the jury.

Since I'm self-employed, that didn't break my heart, but I would have liked the experience of being part of a jury as long as the trial wasn't super-long.

Thank you to you guys that did serve. It's an important role, especially since today everyone seems to be know the right outcome without having heard any testimony and cry foul when a jury comes down on the other side.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    Civic Duty doesn't pay the mortgage or grocery bill for a working stiff.

neither does letting criminals walk the streets.

I am a working stiff and am proud to do my duty when called.

but if I were on trial for something , I sure wouldn't want a jury made up of folks who didn't want to be there and who were simply willing to go with the crowd so they could leave sooner
    Last edited by kidoggy; 02-24-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast