Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts

Jury Duty....Arghhhhh

Served jury duty all day yesterday and have to go back to finish today. One trial (felony traffic incident) 6 jurors. Called 60 in for jury pool. Wouldn't you know it, it was called for the jury and picked. Sat most of yesterday listening to testimony, motions and tons of dead time in the jury room. Back today,,,hope it finishes up. Initially Judge said wouldn't take all day yesterday, what a misstatement , the attorneys are all really jerks!!

Oh well, at least it's in the winter when there is less to do. Glad to do my civic duty....I think!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 778 Times in 131 Posts
    I’ve gone once. It was a child murder case where the mom had kill the baby on accident by shaking. The baby had broken bones that had been healed when the baby died so abuse had been happening for awhile.

Although it was very sad about the situation I found the whole thing very interesting on how the court and trial works.

Both mother and father went to prison.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts
    Jury duty can be a rough road to haul at times. My first one was a sexual assault in a position of trust which ended up with a hung jury. We had one lady that just would not believe the girl. A couple of years later the scumbag was nailed up in Montana after doing the same thing to his cousin.

Just last year I sat on another one, welfare fraud this time. After the first day we came in and sat in the jury room for 3 hours. All the rest of the jurors had no idea of what was going on but I told them that the lawyers were working on a plea bargain. Then we went into the court room and that is just what had happened, a deal. The evidence that we heard the first day was overwhelming towards convicting the lady.

I couldn't tell you the number of times that I was called in and had to sit in the court room while the lawyers hashed things out only to go home. But at times it can be quite interesting on how our justice system works.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 75 Times in 14 Posts
    I'd been called in a number of times but never selected until a couple of months ago. I was selected to sit on a murder trial which wound up taking 2 weeks. I definitely didn't expect to be there so long, but it was very educational to see how the court system works and hear all the expert testimony. The guy did wind up going to prison.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 718 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 572 Times in 77 Posts
    I haven't been called in the last 23 years.... My one and only time I wasn't selected. My wife has twice in the last 10 years. Expecting it any day

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 64 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Served jury duty all day yesterday and have to go back to finish today. One trial (felony traffic incident) 6 jurors. Called 60 in for jury pool. Wouldn't you know it, it was called for the jury and picked. Sat most of yesterday listening to testimony, motions and tons of dead time in the jury room. Back today,,,hope it finishes up. Initially Judge said wouldn't take all day yesterday, what a misstatement , the attorneys are all really jerks!!

Oh well, at least it's in the winter when there is less to do. Glad to do my civic duty....I think!
    Now, CC, you know that they needed a Rocket Scientist on the jury!
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA; Member CRPA

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts
    Just got home....Judge declared a mistrial. Apparently a witness was talking out of turn out of court and was overheard and reported to the Judge. What a waste.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts
    It is too bad but that kind of stuff happens and ends up wasting everyone's time.

On one of the juries that I sat on we had a juror tell the judge that he saw a mention of the trial in the local news paper. After about 20 minutes of questioning we continued on with the case.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 215 Times in 48 Posts
    I work out of town. Been called twice and excused twice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts

I was on Grand Jury duty for 18 months. That was an eye opener!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast