Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sausage?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 27 Posts

Sausage?

Anyone make their own sausage, specifically Italian sausage and bratwursts? I won't make any venison sausage until this coming fall, but I'd like to try my hand at making some of my own sausages, to learn the process, so I'm not wasting any game meat down the road.
    For those that 'roll their own', are you using a commercial seasoning package, or making your own seasoning? Any tips/tactics to share, other than the obvious - course ground meat, keep the meat really cold, etc.. Soak the casings, no soak? I'm a total rookie when it comes to this, but store bought sausage grosses me out, and I miss really good Italian sausages.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 268 Times in 44 Posts
    I've just pulled a bunch of different recipes off the internet, lessen the seasonings to 2#s and make them and try them. A few things Ive learned is it takes way more seasoning in sausages than you think it should for the right flavor, if your going to use beer use something that has a really strong flavor so the beer flavor comes through.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 120 Times in 23 Posts
    For hot Italian sausage I use Leggs Old Plantation Hot Italian sausage seasoning. I love it. When mixing with game I mix at 70/30, stuff it in natural casing or bulk pack in sealer bags.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 6 Posts
    When I first started making my own sausage I found recipes off the internet. The problem I ran into is that I was buying a whole lot of spices that I may not every use again or may take years to use. I have now switched entirely to packaged kits. This provides already measured ingredients and probably fresher. I end up with better products with kits. Lately I have been buying all my kits from http://www.curleyssausagekitchen.com/. They have all been outstanding. I like the fact that you can buy 5, 25, and 50 lb kits. If I haven't tried a kit before, I buy the 5lb package. For tried and try I buy the 25 or 50 pound kits.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 268 Times in 44 Posts
    If your not going to be making much a kit is the way to go. If you have leftover seasoning Just put them in the freezer, they'll last a long time that way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 70 Times in 7 Posts
    Check out High Mountain products. They are awesome.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to robsev For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckbull View Post
    When I first started making my own sausage I found recipes off the internet. The problem I ran into is that I was buying a whole lot of spices that I may not every use again or may take years to use. I have now switched entirely to packaged kits. This provides already measured ingredients and probably fresher. I end up with better products with kits. Lately I have been buying all my kits from http://www.curleyssausagekitchen.com/. They have all been outstanding. I like the fact that you can buy 5, 25, and 50 lb kits. If I haven't tried a kit before, I buy the 5lb package. For tried and try I buy the 25 or 50 pound kits.
    Nice, thanks, I think I'll order up some of this!
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 17 Posts
    Hi Country mixes out of Lincoln Montana make excellent sausage and jerky mixes. I use them all the time and they are fantastic!!

http://www.hicountry.com/products/products/
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts
    I make 2 different types of sausage. Ground breakfast sausage. I use Hi Mountain Sage mix that my family really likes. I mix in about 10% bacon ends & pieces when I grind it. I also use Hi Mountain Brat casings and seasonings for my Brats. I smoke them and freeze. the thaw and put on the BBQ. My basic mix for sausage and hamburger is the same....80% defatted game meat & 20% pork shoulder roast. The only fat I use is what is on the pork roasts. I just add a little extra fat & flavor in the breakfast sausage when I add the bacon ends & pieces. I also make chorizo.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 6 Posts

I tried making sausage out of the local wild hogs here and it came out more like ham. I don’t think they had Enuff fat to make sausage I think beef fat may be needed to make it for breakfast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast