Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post

Setting up a muzzleloader for Colorado elk

I'm new to muzzleloaders in general but a pretty decent rifle shooter. Planning on a Colorado muzzleloader elk hunt this year with a friend very familiar with the area. I bought a CVA Accura VR with 27" Bergara nitride barrel. It came with fiber optic sights. I would like to get good groups from a bench at 200 yards so I'm confident for a <150 yard shot in the field. I did some searching and saw several different recommended sight changes, See All, ghost rings, etc. I'll be contacting Thor to get a sizing pack to determine what exact size works best in my gun. Any other recommendations to start out with? I plan to leave it Colorado compliant at all times and use the same setup for our Wisconsin muzzleloader season.

Thanks in advance!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mud Farm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 5 Posts
    Thanks for posting this thread; it may be a completely unrealistic plan 'b' option for me since I've got no points in CO, but I've been mulling over whether I'd want to try a muzzy hunt for elk someday in CO.

I have an older inline I grabbed years ago at an auction. Its a TC Thunderhawk .54 with middle of the road twist rate. I think with open sights and a full bore conical I should be street legal in CO, but am interested in how everyone tricks their muzzys out within the limits of the law.

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 90 Times in 20 Posts
    I just use the fiber optic sights on my muzzleloaders. Most of my muzzleloader shots are well under 100 yds. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot to 150 yds. on a broad side elk unaware of my presence that's standing still. So I personally wouldn't worry about different sights unless your eyes aren't great. YMMV...

Blackhorn powder and Thor bullets seem to be the most popular load with the best results if it works in your gun. Some CVA's didn't used to have a breech plug that could handle Blackhorn. That might have changed, you would need to look. Nothing wrong with T7 powder either.

As far as "tricking" out your muzzleloader... I leave that to the guy's with flat brimmed hats

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CoHiCntry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    ... I leave that to the guy's with flat brimmed hats
    Like my avatar...
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by colorado cowboy View Post
    like my avatar...
    lol!!!....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CoHiCntry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You guys think that .54 Thunderhawk adequate? I shoot .44 pistol bullets in sabots for deer here in Iowa thru it. I know sabots aren't allowed in CO for elk. I think back when I was setting it up, the Hornady Great Plains full bore conical shot decent thru it-have to check the grain size in my notebook-I know some of those conicals were discontinued in different sizes. .54 makes a big hole. But accuracy is also important.

Regards,

Last edited by Prerylyon; 02-18-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Prerylyon View Post
    You guys think that .54 Thunderhawk adequate? I shoot .44 pistol bullets in sabots for deer here in Iowa thru it. I know sabots aren't allowed in CO for elk. I think back when I was setting it up, the Hornady Great Plains full bore conical shot decent thru it-have to check the grain size in my notebook-I know some of those conicals were discontinued in different sizes. .54 makes a big hole. But accuracy is also important.

Regards,

I'm sure it would be adequate. I use the 425 grain Great Plains conicals with a wonder wod and 80 grains of T7 powder and am getting a 2.5" group at 100 yards using open sights. It works...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170925-184808106-HDR.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	20934
    Last edited by CoHiCntry; 02-18-2018 at 05:18 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CoHiCntry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 44 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Like my avatar...
    To funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good to hear of your success with the Great Plains; and, will look into that Thor bullet as well. Just need to make sure whatever is legal also shoots decent out the gun.

My Thunderhawk has an odd twist rate - don't remember it off the top of my head, but its not as fast as the 2nd gen or later muzzys designed mostly for for sabots, nor is it as slow as some of more historical Hawkens and the like. It does well with a white plastic sabot and a Sierra .44 bullet and it liked the Great Plains full bore .54 as well. I have the loads written down in my notebook.

I guess I will have to look into it, but are there any muzzy cow tags a non res guy could expect to pull in CO?

Regards,

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts

I will also suggest the Thor. Get a sample kit and find which one fits the barrel. I however found that Pyrodex was the best powder for mine.

My last bull was shot with a 300 grain Thor over 90 grains of Pyrodex at 120 yards. I had 2 complete pass through shots and one that ended up on the far side hide. He was dead on the first shot but my philosophy with elk is if they are still stand keep shooting.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast