Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammocks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hammocks

Is a hammock anyone's go? I'm just acquiring items to plan for a backcountry hunt. I've changed my mind a couple of times about when, where, and what I'm going to hunt. For now I'm thinking otc elk Colorado bow hunt. So late September October area. I was looking at hammocks that have a bug screen and rain fly.
    Is this anyone's preferred method over a tent or tarps?
    Last edited by Ed B.; 02-16-2018 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 18 Posts
    I have used a Hennessy hammock extensively while guiding wilderness canoe trips for the last few years. It has been a real back-saver for me after a day of paddling and had portaging. However, I do not use it for my western hunts for the following reasons;
    1. Hammocks can be very cold to sleep in, you still need a pad or underquilt or the wind will freeze your bottom side.
    2. There isn't really a weight savings; my complete hammock set-up is 3 1/2#, and my KUIU 2P tent is just over 3# and is quite adequate for two hunters and luxury for one.
    3. There is NO room for your gear in a hammock, it all goes in dry bags under the hammock.
    4. You need stout trees the proper distance apart to hang them.
    5. Weather in the fall is much worse than in the summer and a lot of wind, rain, and cold can make a hammock very much a pain.
    **Having said all that, I do love my hammock, just not for my backpack hunts.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RICMIC For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,273 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 781 Times in 131 Posts
    Nope! Not for me. I tried a Grand Trunk on a deer hunt for 2 nights. I couldn’t sleep! I had to come off the mountain and get my tent.

If you sleep on your back normally you should be fine. I also didn’t like my feet being up higher then normal. I tried to tighten the hammock as tight as possible to flatten it out more but for me it just wasn’t comfortable.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I went to Hammock Hanging about 5 seasons now, for spring, summer and fall back packing and hunting. It is the best sleep for me in the back country after many years on the ground. In fact last year elk season, I slept in one day to past 7 AM, I was so comfy and rested. I never do that! I use my set up during Sept. bow here in CO. and into Oct. as well. There is a learning curve to them in order to get the right hang angle. I can set my hammock up in 5 min.s, which is nice for and afternoon break, lunch or what ever. Another 5 or 10 min.s for the tarp. Yes you need trees, there are plenty to be had up to treeline. You can hang anywhere, it does not need to be flat ground. Like being on the ground you need insulation under you right? I use a double layer hammock, so under me I use during warmer weather a sheet made from the same material you see car sun screens made from, colder weather a thermorest pad. This year I am trying out a new lighter small packing pad. Last year I went with a larger tarp for better coverage, never been wet yet! I use a Kifaru Doobie to cover in or even wrap around under the hammock if needed, so far been warm. I am sure I don't save weight, but its fast, esay, and very comfortable for me. Feel free to ask more.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I have used one many times. As has been mentioned its' cold, but great on the back.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,705 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 178 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed B. View Post
    Is a hammock anyone's go? I'm just acquiring items to plan for a backcountry hunt. I've changed my mind a couple of times about when, where, and what I'm going to hunt. For now I'm thinking otc elk Colorado bow hunt. So late September October area. I was looking at hammocks that have a bug screen and rain fly.
    Is this anyone's preferred method over a tent or tarps?
    Brandon put together a gear lab on hammocks a while back. Overall he was pretty happy with how they performed and for the early season they would be something he would use, especially with the tarp set ups a few have. The advantage isn't necessarily the weight but more the sleep comfort.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 147 Times in 22 Posts
    Can't do it. I sleep on my stomach or sometimes on my side.

The only time I sleep on my back is when i take "power-naps." I can be out and snoozing, and generally wake myself up after about 15-20 minutes feeling refreshed.

For a good night's sleep, it's stomach. Hammocks don't work for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Hammocks give me no back support.No matter how many ways I try I can't get any sleep no matter how tired.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtclod Az. View Post
    Hammocks give me no back support.No matter how many ways I try I can't get any sleep no matter how tired.
    try the alchohol method.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

Done and Done!Still can't sleep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast