Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 171 Times in 62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    Thanks. After thinking about it, I might make industry exceptions for aircraft, maybe vehicles and certainly for medical products, including pharmaceuticals. That's why the majority of individual stocks I buy are in tech or health care, though I detest the price gouging in drugs today. I just don't buy those companies.

Appreciate the thread. My personal experience, not all automobiles are created equal. 15 years of experience in high profile role speaking here and I could tell some stories...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,088 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 371 Times in 95 Posts
    One thing I have found is that companies that are a little smaller and are privately tend to have much better products and customer service. The 3 I mentioned (RCBS, Dillon & Leupold) I believe are in that category.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 68 Times in 16 Posts
    I've had a long, terrific run of luck with vehicles. For almost 40 years, I've bought them for $3,000 in the beginning, now more like $10,000, with 100,000 miles on them, sometimes as low as 60,000, from middle-age or older sellers that were the only owners and could show me solid evidence of careful, regular maintenance like log books. I bought one from a pilot that showed me his spiral notebook that had all maintenance listed with date and mileage down to each cash wash.

Usually, I drove to them until their first repair or second at most, usually around 225,000 miles and sold them for a $3-$5,000 less than I paid. I've averaged between $1,000 - $1500 a year in total net ownership cost, including repairs, which have been rare. No way on earth I'd ever buy new and I've owned one reliable vehicle after another.

I have no stories other than times I lost good vehicles because someone stole it on his first day out of prison and crashed it after a police chase, an underage driver made a bad turn and ran into me sitting at a stop sign, the time a guy not totally with it actually broke off a right turn and accelerated in order to T-bone me, the time someone ran into me at 50 mph as I sat parked because she was on her cell phone, the two times people have rear-ended me waiting at a stoplight...or I broadsided an elk that bolted across the road.

I also ran into a deer with the same make and model, and after those two encounters with large ungulates I bought a third in a row of that same model and named it "the deerslayer" and of course never ran into one again. Apparently, deer fear me just as I fear being in a stationary vehicle.
    Last edited by hoshour; 02-14-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 6 Posts
    I've had a long, terrific run of luck with vehicles. For almost 40 years, I've bought them for $3,000 in the beginning, now more like $10,000, with 100,000 miles on them, sometimes as low as 60,000, from middle-age or older sellers that were the only owners and could show me solid evidence of careful, regular maintenance like log books. I bought one from a pilot that showed me his spiral notebook that had all maintenance listed with date and mileage down to each cash wash.

Usually, I drove to them until their first repair or second at most, usually around 225,000 miles and sold them for a $3-$5,000 less than I paid. I've averaged between $1,000 - $1500 a year in total net ownership cost, including repairs, which have been rare. No way on earth I'd ever buy new and I've owned one reliable vehicle after another.

I have no stories other than times I lost good vehicles because someone stole it on his first day out of prison and crashed it after a police chase, an underage driver made a bad turn and ran into me sitting at a stop sign, the time a guy not totally with it actually broke off a right turn and accelerated in order to T-bone me, the time someone ran into me at 50 mph as I sat parked because she was on her cell phone, the two times people have rear-ended me waiting at a stoplight...or I broadsided an elk that bolted across the road.
    I thought you had a timing belt break on a Tacoma during one of your hunts?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 68 Times in 16 Posts
    Yes, I did. That was the only repair on that 4WD truck and it happened just after I bought it from a retiree for $9700 with only 65,000 miles on it. The mechanic that repaired it said the timing belt had just been changed and they had done it wrong. That was a stupid mechanic, not a bad owner, and the truck has given me no more trouble at all so I still drive it and it's a champ.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 338 Times in 60 Posts
    How about Weatheby! Relocating to Wyoming to get away from " Moon Bean " Jerry Brown and his taxes!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sneakypete For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 173 Times in 29 Posts
    I've been very happy with First Lite as well. Also Outdoorsmans tripods and accessories for them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts

I also ran into a deer with the same make and model, and after those two encounters with large ungulates I bought a third in a row of that same model and named it "the deerslayer" and of course never ran into one again. Apparently, deer fear me just as I fear being in a stationary vehicle.
    What vehicles have you had the best luck with? I have had 2 Fords and a Chevy and they were all great trucks. After selling them to my brother all the issues came up but I think that is user error

Northern North East US ...not a masshole !
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Great points, perhaps we should start an investment firm that is geared to the recovery of quality, making the companies great again ? Or how about establishing a list of preferred companies that have displayed and demonstrated business practices that are consistent with ethics and practices that promote standards for the consumer ...

As a side note LL Bean has recently eliminated the quality guarantee the founder started with a lifetime warranty the recent wave (25+years) of low coast goods made in China that they chose to sell have made it impossible to offer a lifetime warranty, due to QC -Cost and vendors who cant be controlled. I believe people will pay for the luxuries and quality they want to obtain, the marketeers are reducing our options for us ... not cool.

I would add that Redding reloading products are and have been great over the years, that includes support.
    Winston Fly Rods had also been great until they started adding lower cost off-shore products to the line up ....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 280ackimp View Post
    As a side note LL Bean has recently eliminated the quality guarantee the founder started with a lifetime warranty the recent wave (25+years) of low coast goods made in China that they chose to sell have made it impossible to offer a lifetime warranty, due to QC -Cost and vendors who cant be controlled. I believe people will pay for the luxuries and quality they want to obtain, the marketeers are reducing our options for us ... not cool.
    I believe the actual reason was the amount of abusers of the warranty. The CEO/President said they are removing the lifetime warranty because they would have people bring in or ask to return products that they used for years and beat to shit. Lifetime warranty does not equal bring it back when it is worn out and we give you a new one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast