Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 90 Times in 20 Posts

Burning Antelope points... Utah or Wyoming?

I'm looking to burn points on antelope in either Utah (9 points) or Wyoming (10 points) this year. Trying to decide which state to pull the trigger on? Looking for any information that might sway me one way or the other. Things like how the herds are doing, better or worse trophy and success potential due to certain factors or even changes coming down the pike with drawing, points, etc.

I'm looking at Utah right now since the draw deadline is approaching. I was previously looking at the Book Cliffs South rifle tag but looks like it took a huge jump in the amount of points to draw. Last year it was 9 for the previous year, and this year looks like 14. So, I guess I'm looking for something else. I'm open to rifle, muzzleloader or archery but usually lean towards the higher success and better trophy potential when I'm going out of state. For example, I can't see burning several years points to shoot an average buck with a 25% success rate during archery season.

Can anyone steer me towards a statewide unit map for antelope in Utah? I can find mule deer and elk but not antelope. I'd like to have a general idea of where certain units are when I'm applying as that might influence where I finally decide to apply. If it's a toss up between a couple units then the one closer to home would win.

Any information or thoughts on this would be appreciated. I'd really like to draw one or the other this year and start burning some points! Thanks...
    Last edited by CoHiCntry; 02-13-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 30 Posts
    In 2013 had a great UT hunt in the SW desert unit. Runs Cedar City, north to Delta, then generally west from both towns to NV. We came in from the NV side. We'd never set foot there till opening day, but had a good idea where the concentrations of antelope were. Thanks biologists. We found my sons buck on the way to a "good" area. There were antelope rutting all over that small area. No idea if it was a fluke or not. But if you choose that unit, PM me and I'll tell you the area. His was 15 1/2" heavy bumpy narly with almost a perfect triangle of a cutter on one side, and about 12" on the other side with that side ending in what I'd call a big knot. Made a great Euro mount. 80" class had both sides been typical. My son is only interested in the meat, so he was happy. There are some good ones in that unit, but it's a huge area. I'd definitely go back again, but am not going back to UT for antelope. Probably burning my elk points there this year and done with UT.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim McCoy View Post
    In 2013 had a great UT hunt in the SW desert unit. Runs Cedar City, north to Delta, then generally west from both towns to NV. We came in from the NV side. We'd never set foot there till opening day, but had a good idea where the concentrations of antelope were. Thanks biologists. We found my sons buck on the way to a "good" area. There were antelope rutting all over that small area. No idea if it was a fluke or not. But if you choose that unit, PM me and I'll tell you the area. His was 15 1/2" heavy bumpy narly with almost a perfect triangle of a cutter on one side, and about 12" on the other side with that side ending in what I'd call a big knot. Made a great Euro mount. 80" class had both sides been typical. My son is only interested in the meat, so he was happy. There are some good ones in that unit, but it's a huge area. I'd definitely go back again, but am not going back to UT for antelope. Probably burning my elk points there this year and done with UT.
    Thanks for the reply! Looks like I could probably draw the southwest desert tag for archery or muzzleloader but the rifle tag takes too many points. IF, everything stays the same. I would probably choose the muzzleloader tag over the archery. Been hearing moisture levels are way down this year which makes me a little nervous about Utah. Do you remember how many points it took your son to draw? I'll definitely check in with you if I try for that unit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 30 Posts
    I forget exactly, seems he had 8 ish. I could go back and look, but points needed then are probably different than points needed in 2018.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim McCoy View Post
    I forget exactly, seems he had 8 ish. I could go back and look, but points needed then are probably different than points needed in 2018.
    They will be different for sure. Was just curious the creep in the last few years if you new off the top of your head how many points it took back then. Not worth looking for. Thanks...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good info guys. I'm also looking to burn lope points in Ut..

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,255 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 778 Times in 131 Posts
    You can draw some great areas in Wy also with the points you have.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I ended up applying for Utah but am pretty certain I won't draw the tag. I'll be looking to apply, draw, and hunt Wyoming for antelope this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    I ended up applying for Utah but am pretty certain I won't draw the tag. I'll be looking to apply, draw, and hunt Wyoming for antelope this year.
    Did you draw your tag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by ROGER SANCHEZ View Post
    Did you draw your tag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Waiting for results...