Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

.280 AI is very close to 7mm mag in performance. If you reload I would say a custom left hand action , just as well go with the new hot rod out there and take a .28 Nosler for a drive. It has better performance than the .280 AI or the 7mm and all in a short action.
    Lots of Remington 700 SA available out there. Some are likely in left hand as a used item for a building project.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Millsworks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    I'm lefty and love the tikka action. Not a true custom at all but I'm slowly working to flute the bolt, barrel, and custom stock. Possibly will try to change trigger but it is very crisp and I like it. Very smooth action. Sako produces Tikka, with Tikka being the more affordable option. I love Sako, but being a broke college kid I opted for the Tikka Lite since I felt the trigger and bolt were high quality, just the stock was cheaper.

If you wanted a more expensive version the Sako 85 is lefty and is considered one of the best.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 85 Times in 12 Posts
    Quite a few options for a lefty out there. I am not a gunsmith so not sure easiest ones to work with. But I think the Remington 700 is most popular, savage second. Tikka,browning,ruger,sako,nosler also have left hand available. Nosler offers a 280AI. I think lone peak makes a left hand ti version also. Gunwerksand fierce also have a left hand option.
    I have a couple modified 700s and both shoot well. A 300WSM and a 280AI. I had mine skeletonized and tried. One has a jewel trigger, the other a timney. Both are hunting rifles. 7 3/4# and 8# scoped and ready to hunt.
    Just a response to another post, but I am pretty sure the 28 Nosler is a long action

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DRUSS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 142 Times in 21 Posts
    I got a Browning A-bolt 30.06 lefty new back in 2001 or 2002.

Won two fantasy football leagues, and had $600 burning a hole in my pocket...found a lefty Winchester Model 70, 7mm Rem Mag on Gunbroker. Stainless steel with red-ish wood stock. Beautiful fun...and I finally got it to shoot well by bumping up in bullet weight.

I know Montana Rifle Co. makes lefty X2 in many calibers. Pricey, but worth a look.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 17 Posts
    Montana Rifle Company makes and sells just actions if you want to do your own thing, or you can buy their new X3 in many different calibers for about $1300.00 I believe.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Ive heard very mixed things on MRC. I will likely stay away from them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 160 Times in 36 Posts

So what works well for me that can be applied to any model/type/caliber.....left or right handed.

A buddy of mine buys up old Remington 700s from gunbroker......stock condition doesn't matter.....and looks for the older trigger (not sure the number or letter in the serial number that denotes that) . He then sends it off for blueprinting and a rebarrel/fluting. Buys a higher end stock.....synthetic....if you stop there you got a pretty good shooter. When the money and or time is freed up he sends off the bolt to get fluted and handle skeletonized. Lastly when the money and time is freed up he drops in a Jewel Trigger.

Now here comes my opinion part on price vs time vs accuracy (sub moa).

Kimber Mountain Ascent, Christenson Arms Ridgline and Northwest Action Gunworks North West Backpacker......and I'm sure other companies are making pretty high end, light, sub moa rifles for 1800 to 2800 dollars now a days. The price keeps coming down and in some cases due to quantity in ordering parts.....cheaper than the local gunsmith can put together. Add in some custom load development from someone like say 406 Precision ( or make one your self) and you have a lifetime rifle that shoots lights out for say a max of 3500$. Pretty much full custom. I bring this up this way cause the above not long ago used to be a solid 5000$.

Just another perspective is all. Hope that provides some more insight.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12