Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 103 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    For the Promaster guys: why do you favor the XC525c over the XC325c? It looks like the 3 section one would be less cumbersome and easier to set up than the 5 section one. It folds down smaller I guess?
    I like the compactness of the folded xc525c. I also run the Outdoorsman panhead on mine and it is a great setup with an 88mm scope. For lighter weight scopes (or binos only) it is tough to beat Sirui T-025x and T-024x.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 173 Times in 29 Posts
    Exactly the same as above for me. I'd have a hard time going back to the ball head though, my buddy runs the Siru and I sure like having separate locking tilt and pan adjustments for grid glassing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    my buddy runs the Siru and I sure like having separate locking tilt and pan adjustments for grid glassing.
    The T-025x and T-024x both use a ball head with a separate adjustment for panning only. That's a hard feature to find in a lightweight ballhead.

Edit: fyi... the 25 folds smaller but doesn't have a sliding center post, it's fixed. The 24 is longer when folded but has a fully adjustable center post.
    Last edited by grizzly; 02-11-2018 at 11:01 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to grizzly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I forgot his had that until you said something. It is better than most light ball heads.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    At the risk of sounding ignorant, what’s the difference between a ball head and a pan head?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    For the Promaster guys: why do you favor the XC525c over the XC325c? It looks like the 3 section one would be less cumbersome and easier to set up than the 5 section one. It folds down smaller I guess?
    The compactness of the 525c can be an advantage, if space is at a premium. It looks like the 3 section weighs the same as the 525c, and has the same load capacity. I have gone to the Suriu VA-5 fluid head. Drastic improvement over the Promaster pan head in every way, but it weighs a few ounces more. The head moves very smoothly and locks in place with no drift.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 12 Posts
    Thanks for the quick responses guys. I was thinking it was more compact. I was searching the net for the best deals and I accidentally ordered the 325. I didn't realize it until it arrived and honestly I loved it and kept it. It was a huge step up from my previous set up. I was second guessing my decision to keep it after reading this thread. I knew the weight was the same and just wondered why the 525 was so highly favored. I don't really love the head and I'll look into changing it out before this fall.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    From left to right... Sirui T-025x ________ Sirui T-024x _________ Promaster T525P (now XC525C)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tripod1_.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	20889

Name:	Tripod2_.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	20890

Name:	Tripod3_.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	20891

The T-025x is using the included Sirui Ballhead with the Outdoorsman's Tripod adapter attached to the Sirui plate. I removed the center post as it is non-adjustable and I felt it made the tripod unstable. The tripod weighs 30oz.

The T-024x is modified as I removed the Sirui quick-detach plate and attached the Outdoorsman's Quick Release Adapter directly to the Sirui ballhead. I did this to remove potential failure points and to eliminate unused weight. Also, it makes it so I can use my bino's and scopes interchangeably between this tripod and the Promaster, depending on the situation. It weighs 32oz.

The Promaster T525P has the Outdoorsman Panhead. It weighs 45oz.

I bought the T-024x and Kowa 554 to use while backpacking as the entire setup weighs 3.8lbs. The Promaster and Kowa 883 weigh 7.4lbs which are great when the extra power and light-gathering ability are an absolutely necessity but are pretty heavy on long hunts.

Hope that helps.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grizzly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Looks like a sweet set-up. I got the little Kowa too, maybe I should look at a lighter tripod set up for it too on those hunts with long hikes. I sure like glassing off the Promaster with the Outdoorsmans pan head though, I even tried the Outdoorsmans micro and couldn't make myself like it after using the regular pan head. I do glass with binos off the tripod regularly either my 10x Leicas or 15x Swaros.

How do you like the ball head with binos? Having the separate pan adjustment maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use the vortex summit ss-p. It is a pan head very smooth horizontal and vertical adjustments. folded length is 14 inches, extends to 54 inches. weighs 2 pounds. I use it on my vortex razor 16-48. rock steady tripod
    Last edited by jmwyoming; 02-15-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast