Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 309 Times in 50 Posts

rebarrelling a ruger m77 270wsm

Well I "shot out" my ruger m77 in 270wsm. head space is allowing the case to expand to much.
    So what are my options for rebarreling. I have heard that rugers are not as easy to rebarrel. I don't know if that is true or not. If I just want to throw on another 270 wsm barrel, which barrel companies should I be looking at.

My gunsmith is telling me I will be close to the same price if I rebarrel or buy a new rifle. I have had the stock lengthened to fit me and a timney trigger installed. I would need to do this on the new rifle or rebarrel the old rifle.

I do need to say that I bought this rifle in 2005 and probably have close to 1000 rounds thru it. so I guess I have gotten my short mag life out of it. It has been a great gun and my goto hunting rifle for over a decade. It has definitely done its job. My other rifle is a ruger m77 in 338 win mag, Both guns are set up identical, with the same lengthened stock and timney trigger, even the same scope. I liked that both where twins, just different calibers. this way I didn't need to think about the gun. So rebarrel, or whole new gun. I do have about 250 rounds of 270 wsm 140 gr accubonds. all factory loads. I was getting ready to put a turret style scope on the .270wsm. Ruger does not make this rifle anymore. bummer.

thanks
    tim

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 191 Times in 42 Posts
    If you want just to re-barrel it why not just give Ruger a call and see what they would do it for?

A lot of times by the time that you buy the barrel, pay someone to put it on, re-blue it or have what ever finish you want done you will be close if not way over the price of a new rifle.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,082 Times in 1,189 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 369 Times in 95 Posts
    A few years back I had a barrel setup on a 03 Springfield action. I had my 'smith get a Shilen stainless match grade barrel. The cost of barrel, installation & chambering was less than $400.00. It was chambered for .220 Ackley Improved Swift and he didn't have that reamer, so it was rented. That cost was figured into the total. I have shot around 2000 to 2250 rounds thru it and it still shoots as good as the day I got it. My loads chrono over 4,000 fps.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.220 AI Swift 3 shot group 002.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	20850Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220 Imp Swift with Chrono.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	20851

I would think you should get a lot more than 1000 rounds out of it.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 97 Times in 30 Posts
    If I'm not mistaken, that case head spaces on the shoulder. A barrel generally gets shot out in the throat area. CC is right, barrel life ought to be better than that, unless you have done some very long shot strings and cooked it real good. I'm thinking there is another issue there some where. Not sure why head space would be a new issue due to shooting the rifle. Is it possible the head space issue was there all along? I'm perplexed.

But for a barrel, check Pac-Nor, they do Rugers. But I'm thinking it is something else causing the head space issue.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Call pac nor they do a good job and their barrel shoot great.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One thing you didn't say...has your 'smith actually inspected the gun?
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 309 Times in 50 Posts
    yes, i took it to a gunsmith. i am not a good detail guy. way big picture.
    from what i was told, the wsm cartridges burn stuff up quicker.
    Basically the case is expanding to much and is real tough to unload after you shoot it. almost locks the bolt up, you really have to put some muscle power into to opening the bolt after a shot. the smith measured some cases and this is what he came up with. The case is not growing in lenght, but width. I am not a technical guy, the smith just told me the gun is unsafe to shoot and i had some decisions to make. i like the wsm cartridge, but i didn't realize a much shorter life span for the rifle.

you would think i would be excited for a new rifle, but this rifle has been such a great tool, and it has gone to some great places on this continent.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Are you reloading or just shoot factory loads? I don't see how the case can grow in diameter unless the chamber is oversize. Has this just started? How long has it been for the bolt to be so hard to open? What does the spent brass' primer look like? This has all the signs of too much pressure. If the chamber is too small, it would show these symptoms, but should have been there from day 1.

I would definitely call Ruger and talk to one of their tech people.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 195 Times in 42 Posts
    I bet you ya can find on that hasn't had more than a few boxes of shells fired through it on a used shelf somewhere and transfer a bunch of the stuff over to it for cheaper than you can have that gun re-barreled. Cabelas has guns like that that look like brand new on their shelf all the time around here. You could maybe find one used and take the barrel off of it and put it on yours if you so desired to go that route.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 191 Times in 42 Posts

I agree with CC, if you are shooting reloads. A hard opening bolt is a sign of too much pressure in the load. Also if I was your smith I would want to do a chamber cast to see just what it is, as far as dimensions and the length of the throat.

Stuck cases is one place where the Weatherby rounds get a bad rap in Africa. They will shoot perfectly fine here in the US during our fall hunts but take it somewhere that it is quite warm and even factory loads will cause you to get the rubber mallet out to open the bolt. This is a result of the hot factory loading's and hot temperatures.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast