Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 105

Thread: Corner Hopping

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    677
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 220 Times in 131 Posts
    Congratulations
    59
    Congratulated 99 Times in 26 Posts

    Personaly i feel burden of proof is on law enforcement and any one pressing charges, as for air space argument i think that some of the drone rulings might change that.

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 46 Times in 32 Posts
    Congratulations
    6
    Congratulated 14 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nv-hunter View Post
    Personaly i feel burden of proof is on law enforcement and any one pressing charges, as for air space argument i think that some of the drone rulings might change that.
    So ignore personal property rights and the law as long as you get to do what ever you want to do...

    In a society we all give up some of our rights so that we can all live together, if you choose to ignore some laws out of personal convenience then what stops others from ignoring a law that protects a personal right that you agree with.

    This is a perfect example of what I was talking about, if you can't see the similarity in thinking between a person that ignores the law when they want to cross a corner and what others do when they trespass in a vehicle then I understand where the 10% come from.

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 168 Times in 130 Posts
    Congratulations
    12
    Congratulated 43 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rammont View Post
    So ignore personal property rights and the law as long as you get to do what ever you want to do...

    In a society we all give up some of our rights so that we can all live together, if you choose to ignore some laws out of personal convenience then what stops others from ignoring a law that protects a personal right that you agree with.

    This is a perfect example of what I was talking about, if you can't see the similarity in thinking between a person that ignores the law when they want to cross a corner and what others do when they trespass in a vehicle then I understand where the 10% come from.
    Ok, let's just pretend we are in a state that it is neither legal or illegal to corner hop. Please explain to us how hopping a corner on foot infringes on your property rights.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 388 Times in 137 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 73 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missjordan View Post
    According to the state of Montana it?s trespassing. Need one of the adjacent landowners permission to corner jump.

    I personally won?t do it even though there?s one section in a area that i Hunt that has a good piece of ground that corner jumps. Thing that?s really screwy is the adjacent land is part of the block management program also but I?ve called to ask if we can still hunt it and FWP said no! It?s really unfortunate that this law hasn?t been changed in my opinion


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Statute name and title?

    I don't believe a statute exists regarding corner crossing in Montana.

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 388 Times in 137 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 73 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rammont View Post
    So ignore personal property rights and the law as long as you get to do what ever you want to do...

    In a society we all give up some of our rights so that we can all live together, if you choose to ignore some laws out of personal convenience then what stops others from ignoring a law that protects a personal right that you agree with.

    This is a perfect example of what I was talking about, if you can't see the similarity in thinking between a person that ignores the law when they want to cross a corner and what others do when they trespass in a vehicle then I understand where the 10% come from.
    How is stepping from one piece of public land to another piece of public land a "taking" of private property rights?

    How is that ignoring the law?

    More specifically, what law covers a person stepping between 2 pieces of public land?

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 168 Times in 130 Posts
    Congratulations
    12
    Congratulated 43 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    How is stepping from one piece of public land to another piece of public land a "taking" of private property rights?

    How is that ignoring the law?

    More specifically, what law covers a person stepping between 2 pieces of public land?
    Agreed. It's all about the adjacent private landowner being butthurt over you or I hunting THEIR game.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonArrow For This Useful Post:


  8. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    1,108
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 266 Times in 217 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 166 Times in 21 Posts

    Corner Hopping

    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    Statute name and title?

    I don't believe a statute exists regarding corner crossing in Montana.
    Heres a newspaper article from 2013 when house bill 235 was rejected to make it legal to corner jump. Montana currently has around 800,000 acres that are landlocked public lands

    http://missoulian.com/news/state-and...9bb2963f4.html


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cascade, Colorado
    Posts
    622
    Thanks
    466
    Thanked 190 Times in 141 Posts
    Congratulations
    169
    Congratulated 75 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    I think we are starting to talk about apples and oranges. I suspect the OP was bringing up the point of corner hopping....with a GPS that has a 9m or less CEP ( circular error of probability ), on foot and causing zero damage to ground, fence etc etc.
    I think all would agree....driving motorized vehicles on someone's property is not only wrong.....but trespassing and illegal....simple as that.

    I myself have no issues with corner hopping. It's legal if you can prove where you are at.

    RMEF does a great job at buying small chunks of land to open up bigger chunks that is landlocked or not accessable.
    Yeah, I agree, I think we're making this more complicated than it really is. The OP just asks about corner hopping ... not driving a vehicle across private property (clearly illegal). If you just step across a corner while using an accurate map/GPS you never touch private property at all. There can't be anything illegal about staying on public property just because you got close to private property.

  10. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rochester, Washington
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 23 Times in 1 Post
    “It’s legal if you can prove where you are.”

    Isn’t it legal even if you can’t prove where you are? It seems to be the landowner and/or law enforcement would have to prove that you trespassed. If there is no monument/fence corner at the corner location, then does the landowner even know where the corner is?

  11. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    957
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 339 Times in 221 Posts
    Congratulations
    7
    Congratulated 195 Times in 42 Posts

    Anyone know how much it costs to rent a chopper?

    Yes, this is a serious question.

 

 
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •