Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Corner Hopping

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 158 Times in 30 Posts

Here is an interesting article about landlocked public land in the west. In Wyoming, there is about 750,000 acres of landlocked public land. A bunch of it is totally surrounded by private land and does not lend itself to corner hopping.

I suggest we channel some of the energy in this thread into a program that would improve access to these landlocked lands via access easements or land exchanges.

http://westernpriorities.org/wp-cont...and-Access.pdf
    Last edited by highplainsdrifter; 02-12-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    Don't fence me in!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to highplainsdrifter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 194 Times in 41 Posts
    Thanks for posting that link.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 158 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highplainsdrifter View Post
    Here is an interesting article about landlocked public land in the west. In Wyoming, there is about 750,000 acres of landlocked public land. A bunch of it is totally surrounded by private land and does not lend itself to corner hopping.

I suggest we channel some of the energy in this thread into a program that would improve access to these landlocked lands via access easements or land exchanges.

http://westernpriorities.org/wp-cont...and-Access.pdf
    I just noticed the article makes a blanket statement that corner hopping is illegal in all western states. I don't necessarily agree with that. It depends on the state/county and how they want to enforce it.

Just saying it would be good to have a program that would improve access to landlocked public land, especially the big parcels. There are some efforts being made by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and programs like Wyoming's Access Yes, but they are pretty small relative to the size of the problem.
    Last edited by highplainsdrifter; 02-12-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    Don't fence me in!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Big discussion on Facebook, supposedly 3 different Wyoming wardens told the guy they would cite for corner crossing. I asked for a statute or regulation.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 63 Times in 11 Posts
    I don't know why people say the Game wardens can give you a ticket for corner crossing? You are breaking NO game violations doing it. It would be a civil violation! The Game warden i talked to said it is up to the County Sherriffs department if its trespassing or not. Some counties prosecute and some don't. Thats here in Wyoming. I also think some game wardens "create" their own laws sometimes. There is nothing funner than having a question or scenario and asking a game warden and he has no answer.
    I've did it a few times, matter of fact i've even been to the Regional office and talked to the director about my questions and me and him dug out the ACTUAL game law book to look it up. And HOLY COW, that book is HUGE! But they were all nice and i got my answers, but i have a few more that me and a buddy have come up with to ask next time im up there. I love picking their brain!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,187 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 369 Times in 95 Posts
    Wardens here are peace officers and as such can enforce more than just fish & game violations.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 63 Times in 11 Posts
    Don't get me wrong here. Wardens are peace officers here too, but first and foremost they are looking for game violations. If it's just trespassing, they call the sherriff, now if you take a game animal while doing it, then he steps in. They have alot of jurisdiction that regular police or sheriff doesn't. But i have never seen a game warden give anyone a speeding ticket.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Game wardens in Wyoming do not write Title 6 (criminal) trespass.

A new warden from Rawlins, wrote my friends son a corner cross ticket in 2016 under Title 23 (game & fish) statutes. That ticket was in the garbage the next morning after the Chief Game Warden was notified. People say all the time wardens in Wyoming will write corner cross, but if they do, the will get a lesson from up the chain of authority.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JM77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Does anybody know if a Sherriff/Game Warden can, or would, confiscate an animal that was harvested as a result of corner crossing if issued criminal trespass ticket? Most would fight the ticket, but initially and in the end, what would happen with the animal harvested?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 7 Posts

It's a county by county decision; just got off the phone with the Chief Warden.
    Where I hunt, they don't write. I have no idea about other counties.
    You need to knowingly enter private to get a criminal trespass ticket from a deputy. Signage, verbal communication, etc. and even then, it's a county by county decision by the DA according to the Chief.
    Last edited by WapitiBob; 02-13-2018 at 02:52 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WapitiBob For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast