Thread: Unit 100

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,230 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 764 Times in 128 Posts

Unit 100

How?s the elk doing here?

We hunted Antelope a few years back in this unit and saw some good bulls. I?m a couple short of max points but will start trying to draw for next year after this years purchase of points.

Point creep might hurt me but after reading Guys Wy MRS in the latest EBJ I think it?s time to try and draw.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 371 Times in 95 Posts
    Gave up trying to draw it many years ago.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Thanked 1,060 Times in 706 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 568 Times in 76 Posts
    I hate to discourage anyone but if you are 2 points short of max you will have to win the random lottery to draw that tag to hunt in the next 20-30 years. Just based on last years numbers, it will likely take 10 years before they get through the max point class of applicants. 36 people applied for 5 tags in the special drawing and 62 people applied for 6 tags in the regular draw. Somebody has to draw the random tag I guess... 1 in 600 chance.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A better plan would be to look at units that take 2pts less than max to draw. Lots of options and some of those hunts have great opportunities.
    Do you know what Jim Bridger said about the Indians? " Just when your not seeing any is about the time they are fixing to get the thickest"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 12 Posts
    I agree with Hilltop, you will never catch that unit in the PP draw. I'd look elsewhere as I think 2 less than max still opens up a lot of options. Good Luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 614 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 292 Times in 39 Posts
    Unit 100 is a fun and easy elk hunt, but certainly not the best tag in the state. I had the tag back in the 1990's and there are several units I'd hunt before 100.

I'd recommend you look at units you can draw. The stats mentioned above only include people who are actually applying for a tag. There are a lot of people only buying points. I have two boys ahead of you that I have only bought points for so far to date. Check out the stats on how many with max and one less than max and you will see that you still have a very very very long wait for Unit 100.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 614 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 292 Times in 39 Posts
    I just looked up the nonresident numbers. According to Huntin Fool, (I didn't verify their numbers) the points going into the 2018 draw:

12 points - 1812 nonresidents
    11 points - 1792 nonresidents
    10 points - 2050 nonresidents (IKIC's point pool)

You have 3604 applicants ahead of you and 5654 applicants including your point pool. If you total up the units that are commanding max points or one less than max, you will soon see there are not a lot of tags being issued each year to these point holders. The wait will be long if you are set on a max point type tag.

Just as one example, I have kids with 12, 11, 10, 7 and 5 points and none have applied for a tag yet.

A better option, hunt a very good tag soon, build up 7-10 points and hunt another mid tier unit or start going on general season tags more often.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 01-31-2018 at 07:04 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,176 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 168 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I just looked up the nonresident numbers. According to Huntin Fool, (I didn't very their numbers) the points going into the 2018 draw:

12 points - 1812 nonresidents
    11 points - 1792 nonresidents
    10 points - 2050 nonresidents (IKIC's point pool)

You have 3604 applicants ahead of you and 5654 applicants including your point pool. If you total up the units that are commanding max points or one less than max, you will soon see there are not a lot of tags being issued each year to these point holders. The wait will be long if you are set on a max point type tag.

Just as one example, I have kids with 12, 11, 10, 7 and 5 points and none have applied for a tag yet.

A better option, hunt a very good tag soon, build up 7-10 points and hunt another mid tier unit or start going on general season tags more often.
    On top of this, there are guys who aren't even applying. Just buying points waiting for the perfect year. Which in turn means the creep never really stops.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 73 Times in 24 Posts
    Unit 100 is one of the most over-rated units in Wyoming.

Its a good fat/lazy guy hunt for an average 6 point...if I were a NR I wouldn't burn more than 4-5 points on it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 106 Times in 25 Posts

But having said all that, there is hardly any snow down there and the elk are doing just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast