Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 12 Posts

Reasonable drop camp/semi guided hunt price

I've been searching for an outfitter to do the semi-guided or drop camp option to get in the outfitter pool for elk. I want to hunt elk again bad but these prices are crazy for a drop camp $1800 and up or $1400 and up for 2 days of just guiding. I'm looking at the Gila mostly but might consider the Santa Fe.

Any Ideas?

It sucks being poor!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 195 Times in 42 Posts
    I looked into this option as well for me and the wife thinking it may be a better option than packing in on our backs. There is no way I am paying $1500+ for someone to take a wall tent into the woods for me and lead me on a pony ride....some of these drop camps are $3000+ in areas that I can walk to in an hour. Horse rentals for $500 to pack out an elk? Seriously?! People are paying this, but not people like me or you obviously.

Besides, I would rather stand on a greased basketball than ride a horse...lol
    Last edited by mallardsx2; 01-29-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 5 Posts
    I'm in the same boat as yall ive been in contact with an outfitter that originally quoted me 1500 for minimal guide services and now were up to 1800. Think its gona be diy pool again and refunds for me!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The thing you need to remember is most of these guys do this for a living. I had 2 elk hunters ask me what I would charge to pack out a bull if they killed one last year. First off I told them it depends on where you kill it, might take all day of hard riding and/or leading your horses to the kill site (elk don't just die where you want them to ) I told them $500 and they said NO WAY wanted to pay $300 I said NO WAY ...Long story short they called me during their hunt and said they had one down and really needed horses to get it up out of the canyon they had killed it in and that they would go the $500. I told them sorry but I'm about 200 miles away right now hunting elk with a good friend of mine. I was thinking next time you come out here elk hunting you should bring 4 or 5 horses ,feed, have Coggins test done on all of them so you can travel with them, pull a horse trailer with you, have all the tack you need, make sure they have all the water they need, make sure you can put an elk quarter on them with out them blowing up and getting some one hurt, make sure they don't run off during the night etc. etc. and you won't need me or anyone else to pack you in or out.
    Last edited by brooks; 02-03-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 1 Post
    Brooks,

I don't own horses, but completely understand and agree with where you are coming from. $500 to pack out an elk is a great deal if you are talking any kind of distance from your vehicle. I'd pay that in a heartbeat if I needed it. It's funny how our car mechanics, carpenters and electricians can charge us $50-$100 per hour to work on our stuff - but when we go do something fun, we hope to pay people helping us out very little. On the other hand to Alambama's point earlier - some of these outfitters who change $1800 to stay in a wall tent for a week one hour away from the trailhead are asking a bit much in my opinion. Most of the time that tent goes up in August and stays up until the last rifle hunt is over. Several groups end up using it. In those cases, most hunters who end up in this situation don't come back the second year. They see how easy it would be to simply pack camp in themselves and save their money.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 11 Posts
    How much value do put on the ability to go into the outfitter pool? That alone should be worth quite a bit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    How much value do put on the ability to go into the outfitter pool? That alone should be worth quite a bit.
    For me maybe the cost of a tag. No more . When your already paying 775 if u draw a tag use of an outfitter number at 1800$ is too much You can get really close to buying a landowner tag for that and not sweat the draw. TOO MUCH!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    $775 for the tag and $1800 for the use of the outfitter number leaves you still $3925 short.... A LO unit wide tag around here is going for $6500. Probably hit the $7000 mark this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not talking about trophy units. Opportunity hunts north. I had chance to get unit 51 archery tag last year for 1200$ bull

Thanks
    Congratulations

I know 1200$ isn't typical but 2500$ is pretty close.