Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 4 Posts

Find cover water and feed. Then look for elk. Be in good shape the units you mentioned are steep.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah S View Post
    Find cover water and feed. Then look for elk. Be in good shape the units you mentioned are steep.
    Or 30a. If your had to pick one of these? Which would you pick?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 92 Times in 31 Posts
    this is merely a suggestion but it seems you don't have much experience hunting elk, so..... why not pick a unit a bit closer to home and get a bit of experience before expanding out? it will save a bit of coin and you can always travel to new areas later after you learn how to hunt them.
    there are many great units to hunt for elk closer to home. 25,26,27, 33,34,35, 39. not trying to tell you where to go just saying there are better options ,IMO , and closer to home,then those you listed.

many opportunities in the panhandle ,also, I merely listed a few units I have a bit of knowledge in.

like I said , not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to help you out.

it might help others do the same if you told us a bit more about what you are looking for in your hunt. things like weapon of choice, time of year , backpacking in or just day hikes , camping or motels?? such decisions can make a pretty big impact on units to choose.
    Last edited by kidoggy; 01-28-2018 at 08:02 AM.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 5 Posts
    Worry less about your unit and more about how you’ll go about your hunt. You will want to find a bunch of areas that you can hunt/look for elk. Sounds dumb maybe but from my limited Idaho hunting experience and my time spent driving through it for work...the elk are there, you just gotta have a plan to find em in this basin, that basin, that hillside, etc. Like say I’m gonna hunt unit X, I’m gonna hike into Y drainage and hunt day 1, if they’re not there I’m gonna hike into here and camp for a night so that’s 1.5 days of hunting/looking for elk, then I’m gonna...etc, etc

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Elk can often move around, find some water in a good drainage with some sign and you will find the elk eventually there. Most of the canyons I hunt have the chance to have elk in them on any given day if there is water. If not today maybe in a couple of days.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

ill be hunting with a bow thinking mid September, we will probably drive in and do a wall tent
    i picked 48 or 36b because of info i heard from others and gohunt.com, 36b is my favorite cause i have talked to a local in that area, the deer hunting is also good at the same time and its farther away from the bigger cities then 48

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12