Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep trying him.

I've also received a couple of PMs from folks offering to try and help out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 2 Posts
    I did the same thing with an antelope I got back in ?14. The taxidermist in Casper called me after about a year and said it would be done in a week , and asked if I could send the rest of the money. So I did. After about three weeks I tried calling and he said a few more weeks. I called back after a few more weeks and then he suddenly had some medical issues. He was BSing me. Every time I tried calling after that he would never answer. Caller ID was working apparently. So I had my dad call to see if he would answer the phone. He answered right away. This infuriated me. I called him right away and left a really nasty message. Of course he then returned my phone call and was upset with me. Unbelievable! He never should have had me send the money until it was finished. My mistake was sending the money before it was finished and believing him. I?ll never do that again. I would have been fine with it taking longer had he been honest with me. I?ll pm you the name of the taxidermist to see if it?s the same guy. I wish you luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 87 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado T View Post
    While I agree that the OP has waited too long for his mount and something is definitely fishy that he cannot get a hold of him, this statement is not completely accurate. The actual mounting process does take a couple weeks with dry time and finishing, however most taxidermists send capes/hides out to be tanned and that process can take months depending on who they use. I was just quoted 8 months from a local tannery to turn my elk cape around. I won't be using them but there is more to the process than just the actual mount.
    Yes and no. Tanning does not take months, it also actually only takes a few days of sitting in the various solutions. So when you say that tanning ?can take months? that is not true. The taxidermist may be waiting for for months on he cape from the tannery but they are not working on it the whole time, it is just sitting in line like the tanned cape does at the taxi when it gets back.

Fleshing takes less than an hour, tanning/drying takes a week say, actual ?mounting? or putting the cape on the form, setting antlers, eyes, pinning etc takes hours, then drying time and painting is a couple days then a few hours of work again. My buddy does his own tanning and only works on stuff nights and weekends as well as his full time job, hunting and parenting duties and I get stuff back in February/March that I drop off in November or December.

I moved and can?t use him anymore and have no problem waiting for taxi work, but when someone says my taxidermist is really good.. I had to wait two years for my mount. That was not two years of work, it was the same several hours of work spread over 24 months. I was quoted 12-18 months for my deer I dropped off at my new guy a few months ago and he still hasn?t called for my antlers. I expect my cape has been sitting in his freezer or is at the tannery. He?s not ?working? on it.

Not to derail the initial post but it all plays into what the OP is going through.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 143 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsd16 View Post
    Yes and no. Tanning does not take months, it also actually only takes a few days of sitting in the various solutions. So when you say that tanning ?can take months? that is not true. The taxidermist may be waiting for for months on he cape from the tannery but they are not working on it the whole time, it is just sitting in line like the tanned cape does at the taxi when it gets back.

Fleshing takes less than an hour, tanning/drying takes a week say, actual ?mounting? or putting the cape on the form, setting antlers, eyes, pinning etc takes hours, then drying time and painting is a couple days then a few hours of work again. My buddy does his own tanning and only works on stuff nights and weekends as well as his full time job, hunting and parenting duties and I get stuff back in February/March that I drop off in November or December.

I moved and can?t use him anymore and have no problem waiting for taxi work, but when someone says my taxidermist is really good.. I had to wait two years for my mount. That was not two years of work, it was the same several hours of work spread over 24 months. I was quoted 12-18 months for my deer I dropped off at my new guy a few months ago and he still hasn?t called for my antlers. I expect my cape has been sitting in his freezer or is at the tannery. He?s not ?working? on it.

Not to derail the initial post but it all plays into what the OP is going through.
    You are taking things way to literally. Yes, the actual process from tanning to the actual work can be broken down into hours and days, however when you multiply that by the quantity of animals a taxidermists takes in as well as a tannery takes in, the process gets extended. If a hobbiest, like your friend and myself, only concentrated on a few animals at a time then it doesn't take nearly as long. However most full time studios are one-two guys who usually stop work during the hunting season to focus on caping, fleshing and turning the ears, nose and eyes. Then send everything out at once for tanning. Most guys run their business the most efficient and cost effective way they can because there is not a lot of profit in that work. I by no means am condoning how long this particular guy is taking or that he is not returning calls but most shops will quote 10-12 months turn around time. Guys like this are bad for the industry and should be called out as is being done to warn others.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 191 Times in 42 Posts
    Also most taxidermist will not just ship in one or two capes or hides to be tanned. They wait until they have a good amount to cut down on shipping cost. So if you drop a head off at the beginning of archery season the cape or hide might not get shipped to the tannery until the end of the rifle hunts.

I got lucky on one mount and dropped the cape off at the end of the rifle hunts in November and had the mounted head back in 5 months.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 1 Post
    I used to do taxidermy for myself and friends. I wasn't awesome at it, but I did manage to win first place in the amateur division on an antelope and whitetail mount. When I did it, I caped them out myself and salted the hides down. Then I sent the hides to a tannery in New York. Once I got the cape back, I could mount the animal as soon or as late as I wanted to. But at the earliest - it would take 2 weeks once the cape was back (includes cape and paint dry time). As some of these other guys have said, up to a one year wait is fairly normal.

Taxidermist can be an odd breed. Most of them are introverts. They prefer working by themselves and limiting their interaction with people. He may just be ignoring you - which is obviously not very professional - but never the less, it may be the case. I would see if one of the guys on this forum can check in with him. Also - never pay for the entire mount until it's done and you have pictures. Also - I recommend to anyone that if they can - take the cape home with you and have a local taxidermist do the work. That way you don't have to pay for shipping a mount and you avoid the risk of shipping damage. Also - if they don't return calls you can jump in your vehicle and go see them in person. Honestly - you don't have to be a taxidermist in Wyoming in order to do a great goat mount either. There just isn't that much on a goat to mess up as long as the taxidermist uses good tanning practices and follows standard procedure on preserving the skull plate.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    For future reference the less $ you put down on a mount the more incentive a taxidermist has of finishing your critter! The majority of taxidermists take a year + turnover. The taxidermist that have their act together are caught up before the next hunting season starts. If you think about it from a taxidermist's prospective they get paid diddly for a lot of hard, detailed labor. It definitely pays to research taxidermists before giving them work. You usually get what you pay for and it's often worth paying a little extra to hire someone that does exceptional work and fairly good turnover. As you found out it is always good hiring a taxidermist that lives close. I often ask my taxidermist if I can look over the form before he adds the cape and again prior to getting the finished product. That way he can make adjustments. Not all taxidermists are willing to do this...but I make a point of being super close to my taxidermist so he's willing to work with me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I want to thank everyone for the replies again.

I do realize the actual time it takes to do the taxidermy vs. waiting in line/tannery etc. I also researched taxidermist before I went out to hunt. The one that was most recommended to me didn't answer the phone or call back, so I went with second choice. I decided to go local because honestly I thought someone out there would do a better job of mounting the antelope than someone in AL that hardly ever mounts one if ever.

I guess more of what I was looking for is options to resolve the problem.

Is there any point in calling F & G? Not sure they can even do anything at this point?
    Call the credit card company, say the $300 was a fraud charge, and cut my losses on having the mount? Not even sure I'm within the time constraints to do that anymore.
    Lawyer up, but the lawyer would cost more the what I've paid so far on the mount?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,060 Times in 706 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 568 Times in 76 Posts
    Why not take the offers for a member to pop in and check on it for you? Things get done out west face to face on a much more efficient level.

Thanks
    Congratulations

I have responded the member's PMs that have offered to pop in. I also tried calling again yesterday.

After hearing the story above about the bait and swap on the phone numbers, I may have to try that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wjohnson1983 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast