Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 118 Times in 25 Posts

wyoming left over cow tags

The last three years I have really become a die hard elk hunter and just want to do it more and more. I hunted my first year in Wyoming archery and gun and was unsuccessful but kill bulls the last two years in Colorado on OTC tags. So my question is I would maybe like to get a leftover cow tag in Wyoming next year just so I can maybe fill the freezer more and also understand elk better and become a better elk hunter. I haven't done much research on it yet but can a guy get a leftover cow tag around the big horn area and still have a good hunt on public land or are most of the cows getting to private in the later season after they have already been pressured a lot from the earlier seasons? Thanks everyone

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Apply for a full price type 4/5 antlerless license and your odds will be almost 100% but you will not gain a point unless you use that cow license as a 2nd choice. You can apply 1st choice for a reduced price type 6/7 as they don't use points but odds are much worse and be sure to check for restrictions (date/ portion of hunt area/etc).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 73 Times in 17 Posts
    Lots of cow/calf tags all over the state. I would pick an area with good population numbers, which is everywhere almost, and good access and apply for the reduced price cow tag in the draw instead of waiting for a leftover chance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 118 Times in 25 Posts
    the only reason I was thinking of a leftover is cause if I don't draw Wyoming, Arizona, Utah or Nevada I will go Colorado otc and if I have more time to hunt towards the end of the season then I could just get a leftover cow tag. Between my wife and I this year I had one bull, 2 antelope and 4 deer and still didn't fill all our tags so we have a lot of hunting Im just looking for a later season elk hunt if I have time. I just love heading out west every year to hunt and this gives me another reason to hunt out west and then not tied to a cow tag if time doesn't permit. thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

look into area 49, last year season ran till december 15th i think and there is alot of elk down there later in the season when they push off the mountain and a decent amount of public land as well.