Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 148 Times in 13 Posts

WY Taking a Look at Technlogy Concerning Hunting

WY is taking a hard look at technology advances in hunting. Saw this in the Casper newspaper. Looks like crossbows and smart guns are the hot topic.

I have no problem with people using crossbows in archery season as long as there actually disabled. The new crossbows are very accurate and easy to learn to shoot. I just don't think they should be applying for hard coveted archery tags like moose, sheep, etc in the western states.

WY has allowed them forever and I've only seen a few people with them while out hunting.

http://trib.com/lifestyles/recreatio...874d7f3b2.html

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 260 Times in 40 Posts
    I got zero issues with someone using a crossbow.
    I have friends that can shoot well over a 100 yards accurately with a compound bow, so what if a crossbow can do about the same. A new compound looks nothing, like a bow from 30 years ago, and I think any relatively new compound bow could be brought into the conversation of being pretty technologically advanced also.
    Personally the people I see using, and hear of using a crossbow are older individuals that have upper body issues (generally shoulders), youth, and petite women that are incapable of drawing effective poundage. So if a crossbow gives an older individual, a lady, or a kid the chance to bow hunt, but a few able bodied individuals are also going to partake, have at it!

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to go_deep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 43 Times in 15 Posts
    The difference is I can sight in a new crossbow at 100 yards, then hand it to my wife,young son, or grandma, and they can kill something with their first shot at a distance that I couldn't possibly hope to kill with my compound. And I'm a pretty fair archer who has been bowhunting for well over 25 years. Crossbows do not belong in the archery season
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonArrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 7 Posts
    I agree 100% with Go_Deep. No problems with crossbows here. I've never heard of a smart gun. What is it?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WY ME For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 158 Times in 30 Posts
    Today, I sent the following email to the Game and Fish Commissioners. I will be mad as hell if they substantially restrict crossbows or trail cameras.

According to a recent article in the Casper Star Tribune, the Commission will consider changes to technology rules at the January meeting in Douglas (although I don't see the item on your agenda as posted on the Game and Fish website).

Apparently there is some consideration being given to greatly restricting crossbows and trail cameras. I encourage you NOT to open this can of worms.

As someone who has lived/hunted in Wyoming for more than 30 years, I have found technology to enhance ethical hunting in a number of ways:

I use trail cameras when bear hunting. The cameras help me to identify in advance which bears are using my baits. Undoubtedly they reduce accidental sow with cub mortality.

Crossbows increase accuracy and thereby reduce wounding mortality. From an ethical point of view, a stronger case could be made for prohibiting longbows because they are notoriously inaccurate.

Crossbows also allow older people (such as me) to continue hunting later into life. Tradition bows and compound bows are harder for older people to pull back and hold steady. Why implement new rules that would take more people out of the sport when participation rates are already dropping?

Finally, many people in Wyoming already own expensive crossbows and trail cameras. To prohibit their use at this point would result in a lot of worthless equipment and a lot of angry sportsmen.

Please vote no on sending this out for public comment. Very few changes are needed in the area of crossbows and trail cameras.
    Don't fence me in!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to highplainsdrifter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 260 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    The difference is I can sight in a new crossbow at 100 yards, then hand it to my wife,young son, or grandma, and they can kill something with their first shot at a distance that I couldn't possibly hope to kill with my compound. And I'm a pretty fair archer who has been bowhunting for well over 25 years. Crossbows do not belong in the archery season
    Same could be said about rifles. You still got to actually make the shot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Heres a smart gun. Basically it's a computer that makes it easy to make shots. There very expensive.

https://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...-rifle-on-sale

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 161 Times in 20 Posts
    I 100% would like to see crossbows made illegal during archery only season by those who are not disabled or need assistance. I shoot my bow every day during spring/summer at least, and I still would never think of attempting an ethical shot at 100 yards, let alone even at 70 unless under perfect conditions, which rarely exist in high country hunting. Crossbows take the actual work of bow hunting out of it entirely. If that is how someone wants to hunt, then they can use their crossbow in rifle season, or put in the work that MOST bow hunters do! I hunted a 200+ non-typical buck this fall during my archery hunt in the high country. That experience was ruined by a group of Utards who not only were using crossbows, but also had spotters sitting on the mountain with radios being led into every stalk. They screwed up my hard work and would not have been up there until rifle season if it wasnt for crossbows being legal. They were fully capable of using an actual bow, but instead they packed in with horses and extra guys to try and kill big bucks with crossbows, which I was happy to see them unsuccessful doing, but in such so was I. Bow hunting is challenging for a reason for both elk and deer, and those who choose to do it put in a lot of effort being prepared. To go sight in a crossbow like a rifle, and use it during archery, is not archery hunting and therefore should not be allowed during archery only seasons unless used by someone who cannot use a normal bow.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mntnguide For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 5 Posts
    Idk. I have no issues with crossbows as method of take.

(As as aside, in my experience they're way more finicky in the breeze that most realize. The bolts seem just to be more sensitive to wind. It takes some time and practice to reliably learn to make adjustments for wind. Just seen too many good ol' boys go out with some new super fast x-bow, with limited range time, and in a light breeze shot are missing or wounding. 'Perfect practice makes perfect')

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations

I'm not 100% against crossbows, but you have a definite advantage using one over the compound or traditional bow. You load your bolt and walk around looking for your animal. With regular archery equipment you have to draw which causes movement and may get you busted. Also you have to hold the bow at full draw, not so with a crossbow. If you want to use a crossbow and it's legal that's fine with me. I just hate when they categorized a crossbow person as a Bowhunter.

I've hunted in WY 35 plus years and I can count on one had the number of crossbow hunters I've seen.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast