Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 480/277 View Post
    I was just clarifying.
    There is no perfect system. That's why I said you can not legislate based on exceptions. And no system that can't be cheated.
    And once you start exceptions there is always someone that will say
    "Well what about this circumstance "...
    There is always a hardship, real and not. At some point you draw the line. Mine starts at the start.
    I can respect that position. I think either solution would solve the problem. People will be impacted either way and there's no way to please everyone.

You been researching Unit 16 for speed goats? I feel like this is definitely your year to FINALLY draw!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 14 Posts
    9 pts burning a hole!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    its easy ,if u draw a tag u lose your points even if u don't go. I live in Oklahoma and that is how it is here. Arkansas used to be where u could turn in a tag and the game and fish warned them ,if u keep abusing the system we will change it. two years later they completely eliminated points because of people doing this.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,078 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 369 Times in 95 Posts
    There are situations like the ones mentioned for turning in tags that were drawn and get you points back. I had to use one in 2005 when my Dad was dying. I went to Wyoming to hunt antelope and was going to hunt Colorado on the way home for antelope as t opened later. I drew a Hybrid Tag for unit 3 in Colorado and used my points (12). In Wyoming we had finished our hunt when I got a call that my Dad was critical and not expected to live but a few days. We hightailed out and I stopped in Meeker and turned in my Colorado 3 days before the hunt started. They did not ask for documentation, just asked if I wanted my $$$ back or the points...no brainer, points!

Under todays rules I could not have gotten either. The other thing is it is hard to document a situation like mine as a reason to cancel the hunt and get $$ or points returned. I think the license agent or P&W should have a little leeway for this type of situation.

(I got to California 2 hours before my Dad passed)
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 01-27-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    In Idaho we don't have the points system and sounds like that might be a good thing with the way people abuse it in the other states we don't need it. What ever the system is though there will always be someone that will try and cheat the system.

With that said there are always legit reasons like Colorado cowboys situation that is needed in any system that the game and fish implements for emergency's.
    IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, TRY STANDING IN FRONT OF THEM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IDELKFVR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 97 Times in 16 Posts
    In my view, the primary advantage in party applications is the ability to hunt with your family. My boys are unable to do these western hunts due to their jobs, so mostly I go alone or have friends who have the points. I am in the situation where I have a lot more pts. in Colorado than a couple buds who want to elk hunt with me, but in CO on a party app., you go in with the number of the lowest point holder. I always thought that wasn't right, and it should be like the WY system where you share pts. for an average. But, now I can see that the CO system does serve to stop the type of abuse that was brought up at the start of this thread.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 4 Posts
    Another option would be to not allow consecutive years of returning your tag for the points.

It would make them use their points, not put in, or buy another bonus point at least every other year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 191 Times in 42 Posts
    Just make it so that if one turns their tag in all have to turn their tags in.

Or do away with point averaging, take the lowest point holder in the group and that is what you apply with
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 43 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    Just make it so that if one turns their tag in all have to turn their tags in.

Or do away with point averaging, take the lowest point holder in the group and that is what you apply with
    Yep, problem solved. If anybody has an issue with this solution, they're probably bound to be butthurt by anything.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345