Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 75 Times in 14 Posts

Favorite Long Range Rifle

We've had some very interesting posts lately asking about favorite "all around calibers", etc.
    I've always hunted with the same 30-06 and am very happy with it; but, some of our discussions got me thinking about possibly getting a rifle that's capable of reaching out a little further.

So I was wondering; What's your favorite "Long Range" rifle for big game?

I realize "Long Range" will mean something different to each person, I'm thinking about a rifle that you would be confident taking big game with (elk or even moose) at 500 yards or more.
    I'm interested in hearing about your favorite manufacturer (a custom job or "off the shelf") and caliber.

So what's your favorite?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 778 Times in 131 Posts
    For me it's the 300 win mag. 180 gr Nosler Trophy grade ammo. It's does the trick for me. I target shoot to 1400 yards.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts
    For me it is my .340 Weatherby shooting 225 grain Barnes TTSX's at 3000 fps.

It has enough energy at very long ranges to put large animals down.

My furthest shot with it on a elk was just under 800 yards. Two complete pass through shots. He was dead on the first shot but I have a belief that if a elk is still standing you keep shooting until he is on the ground.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    For me it's the 300 win mag. 180 gr Nosler Trophy grade ammo. It's does the trick for me. I target shoot to 1400 yards.
    That's awesome!
    Who made it ... Winchester, Remington, a custom shop?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    For me it is my .340 Weatherby shooting 225 grain Barnes TTSX's at 3000 fps.

It has enough energy at very long ranges to put large animals down.

My furthest shot with it on a elk was just under 800 yards. Two complete pass through shots. He was dead on the first shot but I have a belief that if a elk is still standing you keep shooting until he is on the ground.
    Sounds like a great weapon!
    What type of scope do you have on it?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    Sounds like a great weapon!
    What type of scope do you have on it?
    A simple Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 with duplex cross hairs. I have thought about going to a Leupold CDS scope but this one works for me quite well. I also used it on my African hunt with shots out to 479 yards.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 175 Times in 29 Posts
    My favorite is the 264 win mag. I have two capable of long range, but one that's set up pretty much just for that. It shoots 143gr ELD-X Hornady bullets with a .625BC at 3240fps very well. The low recoil of the heavy rifle helps me shoot it well without flinching. This is the first season I've hunted with it and I took a big 10pt whitetail on a 150yd running shot (heavy thing swings like a trap gun) and a doe at 321yds facing me. Practicing I shoot my gong to 600yds and a buddies to 880yds. A few days ago in preparation for a coyote tournament I had it out busting 28oz Gatorade bottles full of water at 300yds in a 10mph wind. It's built by Flint Hills Gun Works with a #5 stainless fluted Lilja barrel, Winchester M70 action, laminate thumbhole stock, Timney trigger, and Huskemaw 5-30x scope. The monster scope took some getting used to but it's growing on me.

Mine wouldn't be ideal for your criteria of big animals. It's capable but on the lighter end of what I'd want especially for moose. I'd trust it with 140gr Accubonds at 500yds but probably not as much with the ELD-X yet. Even then I'd want a good broadside shot angle. The ELD-X blew up on the shoulder of the 150yd buck, but I hit him right through the heaviest bone. It killed him but didn't exit and I didn't find any sizable pieces of it in the buck. Impact velocity was 3000fps though so it was a lot to ask of a bullet to hold up to that. The doe at 321yds the bullet hit the front of the chest, penetrated about 2ft and exited the bottom of the chest with little meat damage. After exiting the chest it broke a back leg. She also didn't move after the shot. Impact velocity there was around 2750fps.

That rifle with it's scope, sling, and loaded weighs 13.5lbs. Not bad for short hikes, but not a mountain gun for sure. The weight makes it easy to shoot well. I don't consider myself a long range hunter and don't go looking for long shots. I'm sure comfortable with it in the 250-350yd range though after all my practice even in pretty stiff winds. I practice further to be capable of taking game further, but don't go looking to do so.

For a more portable gun still capable of longer shots I have a 10lb ready to hunt 264WM, and a Rifles Inc 300WM that is 7.5lbs ready to hunt. It has a brake and I use 180gr Nosler Accubonds through it. The rifle is just as accurate as the heavy 264WM, but sure not as easy to shoot well. It's less forgiving and makes me do my part as a shooter better to make the same shots.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    My favorite is the 264 win mag. I have two capable of long range, but one that's set up pretty much just for that. It shoots 143gr ELD-X Hornady bullets with a .625BC at 3240fps very well. The low recoil of the heavy rifle helps me shoot it well without flinching. This is the first season I've hunted with it and I took a big 10pt whitetail on a 150yd running shot (heavy thing swings like a trap gun) and a doe at 321yds facing me. Practicing I shoot my gong to 600yds and a buddies to 880yds. A few days ago in preparation for a coyote tournament I had it out busting 28oz Gatorade bottles full of water at 300yds in a 10mph wind. It's built by Flint Hills Gun Works with a #5 stainless fluted Lilja barrel, Winchester M70 action, laminate thumbhole stock, Timney trigger, and Huskemaw 5-30x scope. The monster scope took some getting used to but it's growing on me.

Mine wouldn't be ideal for your criteria of big animals. It's capable but on the lighter end of what I'd want especially for moose. I'd trust it with 140gr Accubonds at 500yds but probably not as much with the ELD-X yet. Even then I'd want a good broadside shot angle. The ELD-X blew up on the shoulder of the 150yd buck, but I hit him right through the heaviest bone. It killed him but didn't exit and I didn't find any sizable pieces of it in the buck. Impact velocity was 3000fps though so it was a lot to ask of a bullet to hold up to that. The doe at 321yds the bullet hit the front of the chest, penetrated about 2ft and exited the bottom of the chest with little meat damage. After exiting the chest it broke a back leg. She also didn't move after the shot. Impact velocity there was around 2750fps.

That rifle with it's scope, sling, and loaded weighs 13.5lbs. Not bad for short hikes, but not a mountain gun for sure. The weight makes it easy to shoot well. I don't consider myself a long range hunter and don't go looking for long shots. I'm sure comfortable with it in the 250-350yd range though after all my practice even in pretty stiff winds. I practice further to be capable of taking game further, but don't go looking to do so.

For a more portable gun still capable of longer shots I have a 10lb ready to hunt 264WM, and a Rifles Inc 300WM that is 7.5lbs ready to hunt. It has a brake and I use 180gr Nosler Accubonds through it. The rifle is just as accurate as the heavy 264WM, but sure not as easy to shoot well. It's less forgiving and makes me do my part as a shooter better to make the same shots.
    Sounds like you've got some great rifles.
    I appreciate the detailed info, thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 175 Times in 29 Posts
    No problem, hope it helps.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use my old Winchester model 70 chambered in .300 win mag if I expect shots of 400yrds or more.
    But I regularly shoot out to 400-500yrds with a 30-06 and I feel it is plenty capable with a good scope equipped with a ballistic reticle or adjustable turrets.
    The bullets in 165gr or heavier will certainly kill out to 500yrds also.
    The magnums make it a little easier to hit targets though, do to the higher velocities and usually flatter trajectories.
    The 06 loaded with 165gr bullets shoot flat enough to leave some room for error.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millsworks For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast