Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,273 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 781 Times in 131 Posts

Outfitters selling info

I was just listening to a podcast from another host not Eastmans Elevated discussing some outfitters that will sell info to clients. Specific Info like where to glass from, canyons to hunt in, and where to look for the specific species your hunting.

What's your opinion on this?
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

RJW

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 731 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 572 Times in 77 Posts
    Area game wardens typically provide this information for free if people ask nicely. I have no issue with it I guess but I find it hard to believe people will pay for it? I would view this as a semi-guided hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 11 Posts
    I see no problem with it for outfitters, their guides doing it would be another thing. The outfitter would be smart to keep their own honey holes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 7 Posts
    It's not for me, but I could see it being good for some people. Specifically new hunters, or hunters with a physical limitation. People that either can't afford a fully guided hunt, but feel they need some kind of help.

But a lot of this information is available for free from other hunters, locals, and people in the industry. You don't necessarily have to pay for it.

That being said, I would be pissed to go to 'my spot' and find out an outfitter sold 10 people on that spot haha.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 6 Posts
    I have issue with the people that pay for this crap. I get sick of hearing about this kinda mess. What is happening to hunting? Get off ur lazy butt and do a little scouting. The scouting and adventure will equip u with the skills needed to find the animals yourself without paying someone to tell u to glass here or there. Come on! Just hunt!!!!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swampokie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 215 Times in 48 Posts
    Some people don't have the time to get out and do that kind of scouting not to mention that if it is a out of state hunt they might only have a chance to get to the hunting area once before their hunt starts.

It is not much different than actually hiring a outfitter. When you hire a outfitter you are paying for his knowelege of the area and the animal movements at certain times of the year. So now they are offering advise to hunters on where to go, and instead of having to provide a camp for them they are giving advise on where to go. There is also no difference between that and a person asking on a forum such as this one except that they are getting paid for their advise instead of giving it out free.

It is my understanding that Wyoming is trying to pass a law that will restrict this type of business. But all I have heard about it is through other forums.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    Some people don't have the time to get out and do that kind of scouting not to mention that if it is a out of state hunt they might only have a chance to get to the hunting area once before their hunt starts.

It is not much different than actually hiring a outfitter. When you hire a outfitter you are paying for his knowelege of the area and the animal movements at certain times of the year. So now they are offering advise to hunters on where to go, and instead of having to provide a camp for them they are giving advise on where to go. There is also no difference between that and a person asking on a forum such as this one except that they are getting paid for their advise instead of giving it out free.

It is my understanding that Wyoming is trying to pass a law that will restrict this type of business. But all I have heard about it is through other forums.
    I out of state hunt every year with usually fair success. I hardly ever get to pre scout an area. I still think a TRUE hunter and outdoorsman can find the animals if they are there. Just my opinion but I don't think you should buy a tag in a unit that u have to purchase info on. Again just my opinion but a strong opinion on the topic.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to swampokie For This Useful Post:

11. The Following User Says Congratulations to swampokie For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    I out of state hunt every year with usually fair success. I hardly ever get to pre scout an area. I still think a TRUE hunter and outdoorsman can find the animals if they are there. Just my opinion but I don't think you should buy a tag in a unit that u have to purchase info on. Again just my opinion but a strong opinion on the topic.
    You sound like a really good hunter, congratulations man!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Never in Doubt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 245 Times in 53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP;235866[B
    ]Some people don't have the time to get out and do that kind of scouting not to mention that if it is a out of state hunt they might only have a chance to get to the hunting area once before their hunt starts.
    [/B]

This may or may not be true. I suspect that many are just too lazy to do the actual hunting part of a hunt. To many so called "hunters" the only thing that matters is pulling the trigger. They don't want to put in the work, just post a pic on social media of the results.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gr8bawana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I just don't agree with this statement.

Its not my problem that somebody else doesn't have time to get out and scout, or that they apply for out of state tags. If you don't have the time to commit, don't apply. That simple.

In any given year, I hunt 3-5 states for a variety of species. I do my own research and depending on the tag, show up at least 3-4 days early. If I don't have the time, or anticipate I don't have the time, I don't apply. If my research and scouting isn't good enough, so be it, I get an experience and learn from it. That's what matters most to me anyway, the experience and challenge of hunting new species, new areas, and learning all along the way.

However, its a pretty rare bird when I don't have multiple opportunities at whatever I'm hunting, wherever that may be.

The people that are selling and buying the information are both equally worthless in my book, I draw no distinction between the two. Both are cheapening the experience and hunting for all the wrong reasons. No use trying to convince me otherwise.

Yes, Wyoming is going to pass either legislation or regulation to prohibit this and every state would be wise to do the same. The current bill is not good legislation and will likely not pass this session as it simply doesn't go far enough. The current bill actually legitimizes the practice of buying and selling information...that wont work.

The bill or regulation needs to completely prohibit the selling and buying of information by EVERYONE, including outfitters.

That's the regulation and/or legislation that I'm going to be pursuing...enough is enough.
    Last edited by BuzzH; 01-10-2018 at 12:03 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BuzzH For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast