Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headlamps

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 100 Times in 27 Posts

Headlamps

My Streamlight Argo gave it up, after about two seasons worth of use.. Looking for a new headlamp, and I want a pretty good one. I keep a bunch of cheap $10-20 headlamps around for waterfowl hunting, local hunting, etc, where I'm not terribly concerned if I lose it.
    I'd like one that is really bright, as this will be solely for back country hunting, I'd go the rechargeable route, if that gets a better lamp, but really anything works here.. Would probably prefer one that has a few different settings, from high to low to maybe a green or read light.

The Black Diamond Icon caught my eye, as did the Browning Blackout.

Anyone using anything they love? Hate? Probably needs to be semi-bulletproof, I'm kinda hard on stuff..
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Love my Icon

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 103 Times in 22 Posts
    Can't go wrong with Black Diamonds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 147 Times in 22 Posts
    Wife and I were in Hawaii on big island last spring. We picked up two Energizer LED's with HD vision Optics at a local store. We were going to ride out on rented bikes to see the lava flow at dark. They worked well. It's all very controlled by the park service...rent bike, ride out on graded road/trail...walk between ropes to designated area to view the "fire-hose" lava flow from several hundred yards away. Lots of people crowded in to small area, lots of headlamps, very controlled.

As we left the crowd and headed back to our rental bikes, some people came walking out of the darkness. On top of the hill a fresh lava flow broke the surface and was slowly coming towards the ocean (where we were). These people had walked for about thirty minutes across old lava flow to where the new lava was working it's way down the hill. Wife immediately wanted to go...I was skeptical. It was pitch black, 30 minutes walking on black lava field. She persisted...and I'm so glad she did.

We walked right up to live lava flowing down the hill. You could feel the heat upon approach.

Long story to tell you the Energizer HD vision worked great! Light weight, runs on 3 AAA's (included), very bright. They are on Amazon for $15 now. For that price you can get three vs. the price of a Black Diamond, and remember, batteries included.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 5 Posts
    I have a NiteCore HC90 and really like it. It is rechargeable and you can adjust it from about 10 lumens to 900 lumens. It also has a red, green, and blue setting. I want to say they are about $50 on amazon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 621 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 313 Times in 41 Posts
    I REALLY like Zebra Lights. We now have three of the H52W, one for my wife and I and one in my emergency kit. They are very bright, and not a whole lot bigger than the battery itself. It is in a machine aluminum case. I normally run them off AA Eneloops, but I will use lithiums on a backpack hunt to save weight. There are Zebra models with higher lumens and different beam cones. I like that model since I try to run any electronics in my pack off of double As. Here is a review on this light.

Review:

https://bladereviews.com/zebralight-h52w-review/

"I’m going to say this up-front so that everyone knows where I stand. In my opinion, the Zebralight H52w is the best light released in the last few years"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 69 Times in 18 Posts
    I have couple of Black Diamonds and like them. Costco has pair of led headlamps for $29, sometimes it is on sale for $19, not sure what brand it is.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 18 Posts
    I have had a slew of the Energizer lights as I could get them at Menards for around $12. I've had brighter, longer lasting lights that were more expensive, but my biggest problem is losing them, so I was reluctant to spend too much. Anyway, my wife used them while sewing in the evening sometimes, and one of them started to arc, and then dribbled burning battery acid down her forehead. I gave her another one and the next week it happened to that one also. In both cases the batteries weren't corroded or appeared to be leaking. I have since switched to Black Diamonds and have no complaints. I guess that you sometimes get what you pay for and the cheapest isn't always the best. The energizers went in the garbage.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,273 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 781 Times in 131 Posts
    I’ve had the high end lamps and the cheap ones. I’ve settled on the Energizer 450 lumin.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another vote for the Zebra light. I have the H53w. Good battery life if you don't run it on high all the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast