Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

9 BP for deer and elk

Hi,
    I have 9 BP for both deer and elk going into this years draw(and 10 for antelope). I would like to go on a good guided hunt for mule deer(1st choice) or Elk. I will be 69 years old this hunting season so I'd prefer a wilderness hunt on horseback as opposed to backpacking.
    I still get around the mountains. I did a one week drop camp in the Arc Dome Wilderness of Nevada this past season.
    Any suggestions on a good outfitter would be appreciated.
    Roger

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 17 Posts
    I had a deer hunt booked in H for 2018, but when I was on an elk hunt with the outfitter this fall, he recommended that I wait a couple years since the herd took a real hit from the previous winter. I would suggest that you look elsewhere than the west part of WY, unless you have some good info telling you otherwise. You will find that the "good" outfitters are generally booked a couple years in advance, so if you find one with an opening for next year, make sure you check them out before sending any money.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 618 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 293 Times in 39 Posts
    Yep, with the winter kill on deer a year or so ago, you'd likely be better doing your elk now and deer a couple years after that.

I know nothing about "Non-Typical Outfitters" but they are very consistent on some of the biggest bucks taken by an outfitter each year. I believe they hunt Region G. Check out the Outfitter awards brochures to see who is consistent on big bucks.

With this link you can click through year by year to see which outfitters take the best animals in the state and from that determine who is the most consistent each year from the 2017 awards all the way back to 2006. In the last five years, three names tend to pop up year after year for mule deer....Non-Typical Outfitters, Table Mountain Outfitters and Grizzly Outfitters with Non-Typical dominating the awards:

https://www.wyoga.org/wyoga-big-game-awards.php

For elk, I would look at look at Unit 7 with the "Special" tag. It drew at 71% with 8 points last year (your point pool), so with 9 this year you should draw. Outfitted on private would be best and I have heard Wagonhound Outfitters does well.

http://www.wagonhound.com/wagonhound-outfitting

For antelope, I personally would go on a DIY, as there is no "funner" hunt, carve out 7-10 days and TAKE YOUR TIME looking over a pile of bucks. If you want an outfitter for a BIG buck, I would strongly recommend calling Pronghorn Guide Service and talking to Eli Grimmett. I believe they are the best pronghorn outfitters in the country and they head up to Wyoming and outfit there as part of circuit guiding the top areas in Arizona, New Mexico and Wyoming. They CONSISTENTLY take HUGE antelope in all three states.

http://www.pronghornguideservice.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICMIC View Post
    I had a deer hunt booked in H for 2018, but when I was on an elk hunt with the outfitter this fall, he recommended that I wait a couple years since the herd took a real hit from the previous winter. I would suggest that you look elsewhere than the west part of WY, unless you have some good info telling you otherwise. You will find that the "good" outfitters are generally booked a couple years in advance, so if you find one with an opening for next year, make sure you check them out before sending any money.
    Thanks for the feed back. The winter kill was one of my concerns. So it will be elk and/or antelope this years. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Hi, Roger L... I can't help you with guided Elk or Deer hunts. I've got 7 points for Elk and I'm wondering WHY... I'm really just posting to say, "You're my hero!"... Arc Dome at 68... Nicely done! Did you have buddies with you? How'd you do?

Keep at it brother!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 7 Posts
    At your age a horse camp Elk hunt around the Park might be the icing on a long hunting career. Take the wife along and make a vacation you won't forget.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 163 Times in 20 Posts

With that amount of points for elk.. you might want to try for a good unit instead of general tag. Trails west outfitters, Josh martoglio now owns it, hunts some great area and I think you could draw the tag with those points. He is either unit 62 or 63 I believe.. they take good bulls and it's a backcountry horseback hunt to its entirety. He is a top notch outfitter from everything I've heard through the outfitter/guide grapevine. Also, take a look at Wood River Ranch outfitters, similar areas and they have both horseback pack in camp and ranch hunts, and they harvest some great bulls with very high success rates... If you want to go into the Teton wilderness on a general tag, my suggestions would be, Triangle X Ranch outfitters, Yellowstone Outfitters, Wapiti Ridge Outfitters, and Boulder Basin Outfitters. All are horseback pack in, and are top notch outfitters. But in your case, I would try to use those points for more than just a general tag.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk