Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 2 Posts

Folks if ya are worried about competition from me in your unit...no need to worry...PM the info and it will go. no farther...this more than likely will be my 3rd and final elk hunt...father time is catching up to me and the rockies are a long way from home...Just like to make this one count..Thanks Larry...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 100 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    It might be just me but you should of been looking at a unit a long time ago, or your next set of questions will be like "where to find elk in unit xyz."

Just showing up in a unit that you have never been to and then trying to find elk is a very iffy proposition, even for a seasoned elk hunter. Then for a archery hunter that is planning on using 11 years worth of points it gets even harder.

I would actually suggest that you find a unit or two and then go visit them at least once before you put your points down on one to go hunt. While you are in the unit you can check things out such as water sources, camping areas, and most important the terrine to see what you are going to be up against. Also if you can find some elk while looking at the other things all the better.

Then put in for the hunt the following year. I believe that the possibility of your success would go up quite a bit.
    This is obviously ideal.... But it's just not possible for most of the people that live 15+ hours away, and are applying in 5+ states, for 15+ different hunts. I'd love to prescout every unit I'm possibly interested in hunting in the next 2-3 decades, but then I'd just spend my life scouting and never hunting.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If I had 11-12+ years investment in elk preference points I think I would have to see where I wanted to hunt elk with my own eyes before setting fire to my time and money.
    A deer hunt in the area you want to hunt elk is doable for most as a prehunt hunting/scouting trip.
    If you can draw an elk tag in an area every 3-4 years then multiple trips before hand are not as important. Though if you can scout first, it is impossible to have to much information.
    I understand time and money restraints all to well.
    It's a 23 hour drive for me to where I want to hunt elk.
    I have to be able to hunt something after driving that far, even if it is just coyotes, while I scout elk.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 621 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 313 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    This is obviously ideal.... But it's just not possible for most of the people that live 15+ hours away, and are applying in 5+ states, for 15+ different hunts. I'd love to prescout every unit I'm possibly interested in hunting in the next 2-3 decades, but then I'd just spend my life scouting and never hunting.
    I'll have to say that I am with Fink. My wife, kids and I apply in multiple states each year and it would be impossible to pre scout areas area first since we are 1000+ miles away from most of the areas we apply for. On the other hand, we also try to set aside time to do the tag justice when we draw. Case in point, in 2017 my wife drew an elk tag in an area we had never set foot in. I went in 8 days before season to scout, located 39 bulls and we hunted two of the biggest bulls we have ever had the privilege of hunting, though killing them with a muzzleloader proved to be just out of reach. With points, we have 10+ years of draw tags lined up and I try to leverage to learn an area if possible, but on 90% of our out of state hunts, we head into new areas we have never hunted before. With a month to hunt the OP should have a great opportunity of doing well in a unit that requires 11 points. I'd highly recommend that he start September 1 to have some knowledge under his belt when the bulls start getting active around the 10th and after.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 01-04-2018 at 12:02 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 111 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Ditto.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 5 Posts
    Yeah. 10, 12, 20 points gives you the chance to draw the tag of a lifetime. And yes people should probably go scout a unit before they hunt it. Heck I'm only 13 hours away from where I wanna hunt with my pile of points, but will i? Nope. Should I have given up my OTC bull hunt last year to go scout or go on a cow hunt there instead of a buck hunt in Idaho? Maybe, but I didn't. Now, if a guy draws and that's the big hunt for the year and he throws everything he's got at it for a week or so, trains for it, plans it, executes it, works for it, changes plans, etc. I think that is still a good use of points And a great adventure. Remember
    This is supposed to be fun.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 14 Posts
    I think a week scouting before opening day should have you into bulls on the opener.

When my wife and I draw out for antelope, I plan to locate two nice bucks before opening days dawns early light... Grin

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    You might want to visit Toprut.com to quickly check the odds for the units you can draw. A great site that is free and makes it a lot easier to narrow down which units you would at least be likely to draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 2 Posts
    I been applying since wyoming started the pp system..Therr was one yr along that 12 yrs that i failed to get my pp bought...Leaving me 11..1 less than max..I have read studied and listened as much as i possibly could for that 12 yrs...I have followed Mike Eastman and Guy for well over a decade...I have been a member of eastmans...Have been a member of huntin fool...and several more...I have followed wyoming stats for well over a decade..I have a pretty good idea on the top units...i am familiar with Top rut ..I have done as much as i think i can do bein 1200 miles away...i will be 58 yrs old in a couple of days..i will never reach max points...I think it is time for me to go elk hunting...I was hoping what i might could find is someone with real experience....first hand boots on the ground experience and willing to help a flatlander out...I have talk to several wardens and biologist thru out the state and have gathered some good information..But it would sure be nice to land that real hands on connection that tells me this is it...its a no brainer...but that hasnt happen..Everytime i have been west i have made life long friends that i stay in contact with and made memories that will last forever...And i expect before this journey is done it will be the same....I know what i can draw and what i will never draw...Still looking for that connection...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 14 Posts

So, what units are you leaning to?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast