Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 2 Posts

I have 11 pp in wyoming for Elk,,where should I be looking...

Any help/advise would be appreciated,,,I probly will be hunting archery only,,,more than likely DIY,,,,cant afford an outfitted hunt but I can stay the entire month of September if needed...

What areas should I look at that would be pretty much a slam dunk draw with 11 pp,,,with good access,,,and good elk potential..

Thanks In Advance

Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 621 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 313 Times in 41 Posts
    With 11 points you are one below max, so you are out of reach of the very top tags. If you plan to hunt a tag that requires 11 points, in September, you will be hunting archery, with your best option likely being a Type 1 tag and then buying an archery validation after you draw (verify the unit you pick can be archery hunted in September).

With that said, the areas you can draw can be found in the Wyoming Game and Fish draw odds. In an hour or so you can quickly narrow which hunts you are right on the threshold of drawing. Look at the odds with 10 points last year, NOT 11, since 10 points is your draw pool. Your odds should likely be better this year by the number of people who drew out. Don't worry about the easier to draw tags, only those you just have enough points to draw. That exercise should narrow your list to 3 to 5 hunts I would think. A few calls to the biologist for those units and you should be well on you way in picking your hunt.

Here is the link for draw odds:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing...7-Drawing-Odds

I see this is your first post, head on over to the new members section and let us know more about you.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 12-30-2017 at 12:47 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 8 Posts
    A gen tag would easily fill all your requirements.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    A gen tag would easily fill all your requirements.
    Sounds like you are looking to do archery. If you are committed to archery, lots of areas would fit the bill and some of the type 9 are decent. If you have a month to hunt and are a rifle hunter too, I'd consider a hunt that opens Oct 1 for rifle and hunt the last few weeks of archery and the first few of rifle if needed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 781 Times in 131 Posts
    I’ll be waiting for awhile on elk at least if I stick to unit 100.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks for replys...i probly will be applying for a limited draw area type 9...I dont see that i ever will have a shot at unit 100 bein 1 pp less than max...i am 58 yrs old its time to go hunting....i am looking at several areas...unit 67...around dubois...i am somewhat familiar with....also thinking about unit 11 and then also 38...i am totally familiar with f an g research info thats available...just really looking for first hand boots on the ground type info...i needca resident friend lol...leaning hard toward unit 38 type 9....thanks in advance..larry walker...indiana flatlander..midwest whitetail fanatic...own raise and train and compete Redbone Coonhounds...bein 58 yrs old them ol mountains are getting steeper all the time.Bein a working man i cant pay those big outfitter prices sorry i just cant...so gotta do the best i can with what i have..so local help and advise would be awesome and greatly appreciated....
    Last edited by coondog; 12-31-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 162 Times in 14 Posts
    A general license tag will give you good access to a lot of very good places. If I were in your shoes I'd be applying some limit quota areas. The reason being is less competetion. Good luck and please post your hunt after you get back.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 8 Posts
    I did the 38 type 9 about five years ago, fun hunt. Looks like you need 8 1/2 points so you have plenty to draw if your looking that route.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 215 Times in 48 Posts
    It might be just me but you should of been looking at a unit a long time ago, or your next set of questions will be like "where to find elk in unit xyz."

Just showing up in a unit that you have never been to and then trying to find elk is a very iffy proposition, even for a seasoned elk hunter. Then for a archery hunter that is planning on using 11 years worth of points it gets even harder.

I would actually suggest that you find a unit or two and then go visit them at least once before you put your points down on one to go hunt. While you are in the unit you can check things out such as water sources, camping areas, and most important the terrine to see what you are going to be up against. Also if you can find some elk while looking at the other things all the better.

Then put in for the hunt the following year. I believe that the possibility of your success would go up quite a bit.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

A full month in most of the better type 9 areas should net you many elk encounters, likely multiple shot opportunities, and a great chance of success. The type 9's were created in part due to the fact that they are conducive to the type of hunt you desire. Consider a comfortable camp set up (ie: wall tent or camper) with the ability to spike out for days at a time in productive areas. Practice with your bow, practice calling, and never forget the wind is your biggest friend and foe, and the weather will just be what it will be. You will have a great hunt.
    Last edited by HiMtnHnter; 01-01-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast