Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 731 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 572 Times in 77 Posts

Here is a $20 solution to your not so fun shooting. They really make a difference.
    https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...9aACCDI&adurl=

I like the recoil pad for target practice and never notice recoil when hunting. Good hearing protection also can take some of the shock away as well. Perceived recoil is really different when you can't hear it.

If you really want a lower recoiling gun, a 7mm-08 is very nice to shoot in comparison or go with the muzzle brake as suggested above.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 9 Posts
    I agree with Hilltop on the noise factor. I think ear muffs reduce the perceived kick by quite a bit. I usually shoot my 340 WBY with a brake when sighting in but I always take the brake off when hunting. My wife prefers to use my 340 over my girls 270's and says she's never felt the recoil when hunting. I have her shoot the little 270's at the range for practice. They both have brakes on them as well so she has never learned to be afraid of the kick. Rifle noise is what really bothers my oldest daughter but not the kick.

The cost of the ammo is more painful than the recoil.
    Last edited by WY ME; 01-02-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 215 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WY ME View Post
    I agree with Hilltop on the noise factor. I think ear muffs reduce the perceived kick by quite a bit. I usually shoot my 340 WBY with a brake when sighting in but I always take the brake off when hunting. My wife prefers to use my 340 over my girls 270's and says she's never felt the recoil when hunting. I have her shoot the little 270's at the range for practice. They both have brakes on them as well so she has never learned to be afraid of the kick. Rifle noise is what really bothers my oldest daughter but not the kick.

The cost of the ammo is more painful than the recoil.

Sounds like you have a close friend to my .340 Weatherby a stainless MK V that was made here in the USA.

I have found that if you are going to shoot it you can't shoot factory ammo out of it. Mine loves Barnes 225 grain TTSX bullets and that factory ammo is around $110 for a box of 20 the last time that I looked. I can reload the same round for $1.10 a round once I have my cases.

It makes shooting a lot less painful in the pocket book.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    Sounds like you have a close friend to my .340 Weatherby a stainless MK V that was made here in the USA.

I have found that if you are going to shoot it you can't shoot factory ammo out of it. Mine loves Barnes 225 grain TTSX bullets and that factory ammo is around $110 for a box of 20 the last time that I looked. I can reload the same round for $1.10 a round once I have my cases.

Mine is probably older than yours since I don't think Weatherby made any stainless rifles when I bought it. It looks like a stainless but is actually a nickel plated Alaskan model made in Japan about 1993. It has always shot well with factory loads but I've just started to reload again after 20 years. I'm looking forward to shooting affordable rounds once again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 215 Times in 48 Posts
    My load if you want to try it is 88 grains of RL-22 with a Barnes 225grain TTSX and a Federal 215 primer out the barrel at 3000 fps

Per the newest Barnes manual it is a hot load but I have seen no signs of pressure and it was a safe load in their old manual.

Mine was of of the first built here in the US with a stainless barrel and a removable muzzle brake. I just love it.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks, I'll keep that load in mind, I have some RL 22.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 7 Posts
    a 270win is a puppy compared to a 300mag IMO. at least in the examples I've experienced.

so whether 270, 30.06, 7mm08, 308, I think all would be tame compared to a 300 win. mag.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,227 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 410 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post

You are right about factory ammo (especially Wby brand), it really puts a hurt on the wallet.

I have found that it takes a little more tinkering, especially seating depth, loading for Wby rifles. Took me quite a bit longer to find a good shooting load for my .257 & .300. The Wby rifles have a lot of freebore. Once I got the mix right, they are great shooters.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 14 Posts
    Kiss lands, find pressure, kill stuff.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts

I just picked up an American made Weatherby Mark V. They are made in the great country of California Maybe you would like the 7mm Wby Mag? Have them add the Accubrake from the factory. That'd be a deadly elk/mule deer backcountry rifle and caliber. I just picked up the 6.5-300 Wby Mag but that hot rod is not for everyone. Those 7mm ballistics are pretty tough to beat.
    Team Backcountry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast