Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 169 Times in 15 Posts

Stalking tactics

I am curious what you guys may do, that may not seem obvious to others, to help your stalks be successful.

I am a fan of taking off my boots when I get close and go barefoot to quiet down my footsteps. I have stepped on more than my fair share of cactus through the years and have since invested in a few super cheap water shoes with thin flexible soles. They seem to work quite well, but I still prefer walking in my socks when the weather permits. I also roll up my pant legs when I get close so brush doesn't make any noise against my pants.

Does anyone have any advice for stalking in crunchy/loud snow? I have a hunting trip planned next week and the weather is very cold making the snow very noisy. Any suggestions for closing the distance in these conditions?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 35 Posts
    well , the obvious ones .like..keep something between you and your prey when possible. approach from downwind side not just so they don't smell ya but also to help mask sounds you may make.they can't see looking into the sun any better then we can, so use that ,IF possible.

I, certainly ain't gonna walk through cactuses or snow in my bare feet but A big kudos to you ifn yer willin to.

keep in mind , if you can't be quite , neither can they, SO , sound may not doom you but sound unnatural to nature will.

I have walked right up on game by just crouching and moving very slow right in the open. get busted more often then not and would only try it if no other options are open to me but it does(can) work.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidoggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 220 Times in 49 Posts
    This is just me. And my opinions often times are not the best ones but having said that I am NOT a fan of taking off my boots EVER. Taking off you boots and leaving you feet unprotected is a potential for disaster and could ruin your hunt if you step on something. ( Dont ask how I know this)

If you know your are going to be stalking to get close the following items have helped me get a lot closer over the years. (An I like to get as close as possible because I wont shoot at n animal over 50 yards with a bow)
    ALWAYS BRING YOUR SAFARI SNEAKERS. ALWAYS.
    ALWAYS BRING YOUR KNEE PADS. ALWAYS
    ALWAYS WEAR FLEECE. ALWAYS.

Both of these items will help in that crunch snow. But nothing is going to completely silence you.

Leave the rock shielded boots at home if you are stalking animals. They are great for hiking but they ARE NOT BUILT for effective stalking.

I wish someone would have told me this a long time ago. I would have killed a lot more animals...Instead, I learned these things the hard way.
    Last edited by mallardsx2; 12-28-2017 at 03:28 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mallardsx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 730 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 572 Times in 77 Posts
    Use of a decoy can help with a stalk when there is lack of cover. A cow decoy is a good all round option... and no worry if you crunch some snow while doing so. Cows aren't exactly quiet.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Use of a decoy can help with a stalk when there is lack of cover. A cow decoy is a good all round option... and no worry if you crunch some snow while doing so. Cows aren't exactly quiet.
    and hopefully ,with a cow decoy ,no one will shoot an arrow or bullet in your petookie
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kidoggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 165 Times in 14 Posts
    In crunchy snow I mainly still hunt. You walk a a feet yards then stop and scan for at least 5 minutes. You'd be amazed how close you can get using this method. Also get one of these decoys.

https://ultimatepredatorgear.com

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxhunter View Post
    In crunchy snow I mainly still hunt. You walk a a feet yards then stop and scan for at least 5 minutes. You'd be amazed how close you can get using this method. Also get one of these decoys.

https://ultimatepredatorgear.com
    Just don't use one of those decoys on a public land hunt! Good way to end up the butt of one of kidoggy's jokes or worse...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 169 Times in 15 Posts
    Thanks for the tips. I like what I hear so far. Lets keep them coming.

I do like that bow mounted decoy. That would have made several stalks successful earlier this year. It is difficult to draw back on a mature deer in prairie land without them bolting. I had several 160+ inch deer bust from their beds earlier in the season. I don't think I'd use it while the rifle season is on, but I would surely use it during bow season.

Have you used the cow decoy yourself hilltop? Do they hold up in the wind very well? Have you found that mature deer will let you get within bow distance with it?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 220 Times in 49 Posts
    I used a black umbrella to sneak up in a bunch of geese one time when I was a kid. Got me a bunch of them lol

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mallardsx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

I have used a cow decoy for a few different animals but never on a deer. Anything that big and flat is going to be a pain in the wind. I'm not sure how the newer ones you buy are but our old homemade ones required 2 guys. I think for big game, they make the most sense during rifle hunts. There are a lot of videos out there of guys taking antelope with a bow from behind one but can't find any other examples.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast