Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 142 Times in 21 Posts

Two man Muley spot and stalk in Sandhills of Nebraska. Using a doe silhouette as cover.

I like the idea of this!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daubs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daubs View Post
    Two man Muley spot and stalk in Sandhills of Nebraska. Using a doe silhouette as cover.

I like the idea of this!
    I've watched that video before. It looks to me like a second guy waving around a decoy on top of having to dial for yardage cost him a great buck.

He was at 30 yards, had time to range it. As a new archery hunter my mindset is to make everything as simple as possible. The fewer pieces of the puzzle I have to deal with the better. The bow mounted ones look awesome, but a part of me is just not comfortable with dressing up as something people are trying to shoot.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsenhike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    OK. So first, I am a new elk hunter and bow hunter at that. I have hunted deer all my life and have taken a couple of cow elk with a rifle years ago. This fall I came up on two young bulls feeding in a large clear cut. I dropped my pack and started to stalk quickly as I only had maybe a half hour of shooting light left. I got to within about 75 yards when the closest one alerted and was staring right at me. I was behind a large dead tree trunk. I froze. There was no way I could move without being spotted. Then I remembered there were some range cattle behind me on the far side of the clear cut. I figured I had nothing to lose so I mooed like a cow. I did it twice and the bull relaxed and went back to feeding. I was then able to sneak up to a small bunch of trees within range for a shot. I'm not sure if it is a good tactic but it worked that time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 87TT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 45 Times in 12 Posts
    Dwight Schuh's "Hunting Open Country Mule Deer" is a great source. Can't emphasize enough the importance of ditching your boots and stalking in socks. You will not get injured because you are looking at everything before you consider where to place your hoof, and you are feeling what's there before you pivot and apply your weight.

p.s. always leave some surveyor tape on your boots when you ditch them, searching for your boots is not fun. :-)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 142 Times in 21 Posts
    My feet are super tender, and there is no way I would ditch my boots while hunting. I do have a pair of Under Armour speed freaks that are pretty much like tennis shoes. That's as far as I will go.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 153 Times in 20 Posts
    I never found the need to drop the boots even though I understand the philosophy behind it. This past season I was able to stalk within 20 yards of a 190" buck and his little buddy with boots on. Only got busted cause I could not find the little buddy while waiting for the bigger buck to present a shot. Little buddy ended up finding me at 12 yards....what a rush!! Two weeks later I stalked in to 16 yards on a 180" bedded buck in light wind with boots on. I had to wait 20 minutes or so for him to stand, but when he did my arrow was true.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tdub24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 153 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daubs View Post
    My feet are super tender, and there is no way I would ditch my boots while hunting.
    Same here sir.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tdub24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 169 Times in 15 Posts
    I ditched the boots on a number of stalks this year. My last stalk of the year involved shin deep snow. The snow on top was very crunchy so I toe punched my feet under the frozen part then when my feet were past the crunch I could flatten out my feet. It was about a 2 hour stalk but it was a nice day. My feet did get cold, I did get within shooting distance with almost no wind. I however did not get the shot off which is how my whole bow hunting season went this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    I try not to take my boots off but have in the past. I have a pair of shoes from from Hawaii called Tabis. They are felt soled and made for walking on the reef. They are super thin and light and make stalking easy. Probably no good for the snow though. Crunchy snow is as tough as it gets!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanPickar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 68 Times in 16 Posts

17. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12