Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to start

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

Where to start

I really want to come and hunt the states and get some DIY hunting experience. I am not massively interested in big racks and bulls but more after some proper mountain hunting experiences after any wild game. Coming from the UK we do not have any opportunities like this and I am hoping to one day get to the states and fulfill my dream.
    What advice can you guys give a non resident looking for some cheap wilderness hunts? And what sort of time would I need to be successful on a DIY hunt?
    Cheers

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 268 Times in 44 Posts
    If you have never done a DIY, public land hunt. I strongly suggest doing a Antelope, or prairie Mule Deer hunt. Figure out the logistics of it, field care of the meat, then once you fill your tag go take a day or two and check out an area that you'd like to go into. See it, see how big it is, get a feel for what your in for when you do go.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 174 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by go_deep View Post
    If you have never done a DIY, public land hunt. I strongly suggest doing a Antelope, or prairie Mule Deer hunt. Figure out the logistics of it, field care of the meat, then once you fill your tag go take a day or two and check out an area that you'd like to go into. See it, see how big it is, get a feel for what your in for when you do go.
    Solid advice here. Don't bite off more than you can chew!
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts
    I admire your passion to come over the pond to fulfill it.

First off is it a actual wilderness experience that you want or would a area that you can drive a vehicle to and then hunt out of the vehicle or a camp spot work? There are a lot of area where you can drive to a location and then start hunting when you step out of the vehicles door. Where a true wilderness hunt here in the US would require you to pack a camp a ways into a area where vehicles and gas engines are not allowed.

For the cheap side I would suggest a area where you can drive to and camp either inside of the vehicle or just off of the road that you drove in on. There are a lot of areas like this where you can camp and hunt in any of states in the Rocky Mountain area. Now for finding a area that a novice can manage to get a elk and deer at the same time gets a little bit harder.

So for starters I would narrow down a state or two to focus on. Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana would be where I would start and I think that I would start with Idaho. Deer and elk tags can be purchased over the counter there where others you would need to put in for a draw, at least for deer.

Others will chime in here and I am sure that you are going to get a lot of advise.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    I admire your passion to come over the pond to fulfill it.

First off is it a actual wilderness experience that you want or would a area that you can drive a vehicle to and then hunt out of the vehicle or a camp spot work? There are a lot of area where you can drive to a location and then start hunting when you step out of the vehicles door. Where a true wilderness hunt here in the US would require you to pack a camp a ways into a area where vehicles and gas engines are not allowed.

For the cheap side I would suggest a area where you can drive to and camp either inside of the vehicle or just off of the road that you drove in on. There are a lot of areas like this where you can camp and hunt in any of states in the Rocky Mountain area. Now for finding a area that a novice can manage to get a elk and deer at the same time gets a little bit harder.

So for starters I would narrow down a state or two to focus on. Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana would be where I would start and I think that I would start with Idaho. Deer and elk tags can be purchased over the counter there where others you would need to put in for a draw, at least for deer.

Others will chime in here and I am sure that you are going to get a lot of advise.
    I'd be happy to drive and make journeys from vehicle camping. I did not know that this was possible. I have been putting in for non resident tags in Wyoming and Colorado for elk, antelope, and deer for the last two years but would prefer to do some over the counter hunts for experience before using up any points I have. (Is that the right thing to do). I have experience mountain hunting in New Zealand and hunted ibex in Kyrgyzstan this year so have an idea what to expect but am really after some experiences achieving the goal on my own without an outfitter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Makes sense, are the antelope and mule deer tags easy enough to acquire for a non resident?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by s8mdevo View Post
    Makes sense, are the antelope and mule deer tags easy enough to acquire for a non resident?

I see on the other comment you have some Wyoming PP, but how many do you have for each species?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I see on the other comment you have some Wyoming PP, but how many do you have for each species?
    I think 2 for each but would have to check.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by s8mdevo View Post
    I think 2 for each but would have to check.

You have enough to draw a Antelope tag that would get you into an area that as long as you can hit one at a few hundred yards, you'd fill your tag with a respectable buck.
    You have enough Elk points to draw a NR general tag, which is good for around half the state of Wyoming.
    And the deer tag is no different, plenty of different areas you could get a tag in, if your just looking to shoot a new world record, you would do just fine.

For antelope you only need a few days, deer around 5-6 days, and Elk I'd plan on 7 days minimum. Then you'll need to add in whatever travel time you need also.

You have enough points to hunt this next year if you want.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 148 Times in 13 Posts

You can also come out and hunt cow elk. It's very reasonable and success is high. Also like stated antelope is another easy hunt. Wyoming has a lot of public land to hunt on. As a nonresident you can't hunt wilderness in WY without a guide or a resident with a guide slip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast