Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 97 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jdd2035 View Post
    30-06 its a classic and can knock down most every thing except maybe a bison. Not to mention I own one and don't have enough money to buy anything new lol.
    Took mine with a 270, bang flop. It's about shot placement, with a decent bullet, much more than cartridge.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Took mine with a 270, bang flop. It's about shot placement, with a decent bullet, much more than cartridge.
    See this is why I'm here to learn to be a better hunter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdd2035 View Post
    See this is why I'm here to learn to be a better hunter.
    This is a great place for that. But to be clear, I'm not recommending a 270 for the job, but it will work. The 06 is arguably a better choice for bison etc., as would be other magnums and larger calibers.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 191 Times in 42 Posts
    There is a good story in the currant issue of Bugle magizine that the RMEF puts out in it's ethics section.

A hunter was after elk in the Road Less part of the Utah Book Cliffs when a rogue bison decided to charge the horses just before daylight. A number of the guides and hunters were injured and one person was left behind to care for a injured person while the others went to get help. To make a long story short he ended up shooting the bison as it made another charge towards him and his injured brother that laid on the ground. Yep, one shot from his .270 and the bison went down.

The DOW came in and did a necropsy on the bison and he was quite surprised at what that little bullet did to the bison.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,176 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 168 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    There is a good story in the currant issue of Bugle magizine that the RMEF puts out in it's ethics section.

A hunter was after elk in the Road Less part of the Utah Book Cliffs when a rogue bison decided to charge the horses just before daylight. A number of the guides and hunters were injured and one person was left behind to care for a injured person while the others went to get help. To make a long story short he ended up shooting the bison as it made another charge towards him and his injured brother that laid on the ground. Yep, one shot from his .270 and the bison went down.

The DOW came in and did a necropsy on the bison and he was quite surprised at what that little bullet did to the bison.
    Pretty good reaction there!
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Great story. Makes me want to know what bullet he used. Mine was a 130 gr. bonded bullet placed just behind the ear...not a shot I recommend, but with a dead rest at 75 yards at a relaxed buff, 'twas easy and I knew exactly where to place the crosshairs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 191 Times in 42 Posts
    He didn't say in the article but he was close, how close they also didn't mention. But it sounded like it was a premium type of a bullet for the damage that it did.

In the end the DOW justified the shooting and no charges were brought.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    For a one rifle for everything, my 300 WM with a 210gr Berger.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

I shot a .270 for years. Then my great uncle gave me a 1948 Model 70 winchester in .30-06. I sold the .270. If I were out buying a new rifle I would consider a Weatherby magnum, .300 or maybe smaller. For working in Alaska a Marlin Guide gun in .45-70.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567