Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 16 Posts

The 6 CDMR with a 7-35 FFP optic for long distance plinking. I can follow the shot via staying on the reticle and seeing hits/misses. No perceptible recoil. The 7 RM for hunting with either a 4-14 FFP or 5-25 FFP optic. Enough "whack" downrange without the "wallop" of felt recoil.
    "I don't know squat about hunting." Phillips - circa 1959 to present
    NRA - Life Member (Benefactor), RMEF - Life Member, MDF - Life Member

Thanks
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 642 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 250 Times in 54 Posts
    I've shot a 30-06 with hand loads for 20 years from speed goats to elk. I'm gonna make a custom rifle here soon and after all my research I'm leaning very heavily towards a 28 Nosler. It will be a once in a life time gun that I'll hand over to my son someday.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BAKPAKR View Post
    My 300 RUM has been my favorite rifle. It is accurate, flat shooting, and a lefty like me. The recoil is stout, but it doesn?t bother me. Lately, I have found myself carrying my Remington 700 ti in 270 a lot. It is nearly as accurate as the 300 but more difficult for me to shoot well because of its light weight. It sure is nice to carry. If the bolt were on the correct (not right) side, I think the 300 would lose its number 1 spot.
    What I meant to get around to in my original post but did not is that the 270 works fine for the deer, black bear, and elk I hunt, at the ranges my shots usually are (less than 200 yds), and it can easily be put in a light, non-braked package.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 711 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 101 Times in 37 Posts
    for big game ....270.
    flat shooting, easy to find ammo most anywhere and it will drop any animal the world has to offer.

some think it to small but put the bullet in the right spot and it will not fail you
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm a 300 wby fan,

Great brass life, accurate and can push a heavy bullet a long range.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecollector View Post
    I'm calling BS on that round taking a rabbit!! Pics or it never, ever happened!
    I'm not sure I can agree, he just may not have a picture. After all, how many pics of trophy rabbits have you seen, regardless of the caliber they were taken with?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bullofthewoodsjr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 73 Times in 14 Posts
    I hunted my first 25 years with a used 30-06 I bought when I was about 14. Switched to a 7 mag simply because that's what my dad always used. Just over 10 years with that one now.
    I've taken 3 animals with a .35 Whelen. Pronghorn, deer, and a moose.
    Just picked up a like new Sako AV .300 win mag I'm looking forward to hunting with this year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 902 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 201 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bullofthewoodsjr View Post
    I'm not sure I can agree, he just may not have a picture. After all, how many pics of trophy rabbits have you seen, regardless of the caliber they were taken with?
    LOL- I guess you're correct on that one! I'm not sure there would be much left to take a picture of. Just messing with AK and his big Alaskan round.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 180 Times in 31 Posts

I really like my 264 win mags for deer and antelope. They are potent enough to be back-up rifles on my elk hunts. I've had good results with the 140gr Accubond and Berger, and am currently playing with the 143gr ELD-X also.

I like the 300 win mag for elk and will take it on my first moose hunt in a few weeks. I'm shooting 180gr Nosler E tips on the moose hunt. I've used 180 Accubonds in the past but wanted an even tougher bullet for this hunt. They are shooting really well I might stick with them. It's probably not a bad idea to have one rifle set up with an all copper bullet so if the regs change in more states I've got a gun ready.

If I had to pick one for everything it would probably be a 7mm Rem Mag. I'd kinda split the difference between the two I like now. I'd really like to say 280AI but if I'm only going to have one I want it to be common so I can get ammo if need be. I'd hate to get to Bethel Alaska for example and find out my ammo didn't make the trip shooting a 280AI. Good chance if I put word out that I'd give $100 for a box of 7 mag I'd get something I could shoot to save the hunt!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678