Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 241 Times in 94 Posts

I love it when this thread resurrects itself...just about the time conveniently that everyone is reloading for next year.
    https://www.eastmans.com
    https://blog.eastmans.com
    https://www.wingmen.us
    https://www.instagram.com/eastmanshuntingjournals/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,380 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 441 Times in 116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timr245 View Post
    Have one sitting in my office, unfired. Its the Vanguard First Lite edition. Waiting for my Talley rings to come back from the Hydrographics place. If I can push my handloads to what I believe I can, It will drive a 140gr Accu-Bond with far more energy than a 7mm mag pushing the same pill so I feel like it will be a great big game cartridge. Yes, its an overbore barrel burner but it will still likely last an average hunter a lifetime. I?ll report once I get my handloads through a chrony.
    Even tho it might be considered "overbore", with todays powders you should be able to get a lot more barrel life out of the gun.

I shoot a .220 Ackley Improved Swift that a built about 10 years ago. I don't know for sure how many rounds have gone thru the barrel (Shilen Match SS), probably close to 5,000 and the barrel still looks like new. My loads are all over 4,000 fps. The new slower burning powders are really great .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220 Imp Swift 6 x 20 Leupold.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	22843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220 Improved Chrono.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	22844
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 12-28-2018 at 01:57 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 7 Posts
    Have one sitting in my office, unfired. Its the Vanguard First Lite edition. Waiting for my Talley rings to come back from the Hydrographics place. If I can push my handloads to what I believe I can, It will drive a 140gr Accu-Bond with far more energy than a 7mm mag pushing the same pill so I feel like it will be a great big game cartridge. Yes, its an overbore barrel burner but it will still likely last an average hunter a lifetime. I?ll report once I get my handloads through a chrony.
    Please keep us posted on this, I am planning on getting one but haven?t been able to decide which gun I want to get it in.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    My favorite is my 338 Win Mag. In Savage 116 bear hunter. I am more comfortable with this rifle than any of my others. And still flat enough to shoot 300 plus.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dan maule View Post
    Please keep us posted on this, I am planning on getting one but haven?t been able to decide which gun I want to get it in.
    Ahh the classic GMC/Cadillac debate haha. Both of my vanguards, 257 & 300 wbys, shoot about .5 - .75 groups at 100 with my handloads. So Ive always spent my money elsewhere rather than just telling people I have a Mark V. Just my opinion though. In my experiences the Vanguard is a solid action for the investment.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ahh the classic GMC/Cadillac debate haha. Both of my vanguards, 257 & 300 wbys, shoot about .5 - .75 groups at 100 with my handloads. So Ive always spent my money elsewhere rather than just telling people I have a Mark V. Just my opinion though. In my experiences the Vanguard is a solid action for the investment.
    I had an FFL when Weatherby moved it's manufacturing from Japan back to California. A lot of the wholesalers dropped their prices on Mark Vs dramatically so I picked up a few. Now that I have to pay full price I am looking at the Vanguard but I am not sure which one I want to get as they are offering the 6.5-300 in several models.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 85 Times in 12 Posts
    Hoping to get one that's made in Wyoming.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 948 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 233 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DRUSS View Post
    Hoping to get one that's made in Wyoming.....
    Then you will have to forget the Vanguard since it is made by Howa in Japan. I haven't heard if they plan on bringing the manufacture of them here to the US.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 280ackimp View Post
    AKaviator .... Could you neck up the 270 WTBY brass to 300 WTBY ?? Redding must make a die/expander mandrel for that ?

300 WTBY has become very expensive and hard to find at a decent price....

I have always had a running battle with some buddies about the .277 caliber rounds.....they work, it is as simple as that. I have always said the 270's didnt grow up to be the 7mm's just to poke the hornets nest and make the card game more interesting.

So for the purposes of poking the hornets nest in good fun ...7mm's have it all over the 270's!!
    You cannot make a 300 Weatherby case from a 270 Weatherby case. The case length spec for the 257/270/7mm is 2.549 inches and the length of the 300/340 case is 2.825 inches.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 85 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    Then you will have to forget the Vanguard since it is made by Howa in Japan. I haven't heard if they plan on bringing the manufacture of them here to the US.
    I thought I read that weatherby was moving manufacturing facilities to Sheridan, Wyoming area. I must have misunderstood. If so that would be the Mark V probably?
    Sorry about getting off thread guys.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast