Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Packing Elk...

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 174 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    I use horses if I can but have packed most out without them. Usually it's 2 or 3 of us and we pack the elk out in 4 or 5 loads. Each hind quarter is a load, head, cape, and loins is a load, and each front quarter is a load. If it's just 2 of us I will usually take both front quarters in one trip to save going back.

Here is a pic from my first elk when I was younger and dumber. I got smarter after that trip. Wearing all cotton and strapping the head on like I did it wasn't the most enjoyable experience.

Attachment 20520
    Defying laws of physics never works well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 266 Times in 43 Posts
    One thing that I think is a huge help is trekking poles. I can't believe how much they help, I'll never intentionally pack an animal it without them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 194 Times in 42 Posts
    May sound weird to some....but there are times I like the packout just as much as the hunt.
    Depending on the season determines the "getting the meat out method we use......and I like to have options. Numbers in camp drive that plan also.

Aug/Sept hunts I keep at a minimum of 2 strong backs or two horses in camp.
    Nov hunts allow more time to recover so I'm fine with just my self as I know I can make multiple trip with no spoilage.

Packing wise....as CODAK said "I don't give any bones a free ride on my back any more" ...these new "boned out" bags are awesome to maintain shape. With the stock we keep bones in to provide rigidity and tie off points.

2 fronts / 1 rear / 1 front with back straps and loins / 1 front with neck meat / head with back staps / loins.....those seem to be the norm of what we have on our backs.

Lastly.....trekking poles save my knees when loaded.....wish I would have used them a while ago.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 56 Times in 10 Posts
    Ice sleds work great for me, better with snow on the ground. Usually 2 persons and try to hunt uphill so the sledding is downhill. Sleds work best if there are not a lot of deadfalls to go over. Packed 2 elk solo with balancing elk quarters over the shoulder and 2 others with horses, 10+ with the sleds. Also, I take a pack frame in the truck with the sleds, just in case. If no sleds with snow, long rope, ends tied to each quarter (better for snow, downhill, without a lot of shrubs, trees, etc.). Then put the rope around your waist and pull with your body. Never had to bone meat, use gutless though. The slimmer, plastic kid's sled seem to work fine.
    Last edited by meathunter; 12-20-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 1 Post
    You guys have pretty well covered it. Two guys with two Llamas is a pretty good plan. Four trips is reasonable for an elk. I did a solo trip this year 4 miles in. In two full days I boned out the elk and packed it out by myself (3 trips). At the time it was tough and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do it - but I felt this is what I needed to do to make sure none of the meat spoiled. Looking back at it now - it was pretty fun but that's because I didn't twist an ankle and have any unfortunate events. Had something bad happened - I'd be calling myself stupid right now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 234 Times in 47 Posts
    Ever since the 80s all the elk I have been part of have been packed out on our backs or on a sled. For 15 years all my trips were solo so if I Shot one it was 4 trips per animal back to the truck. I have been lucky the past 4 trips I have been showing a friend the ropes. So packing them out has been a pleasure. Danny and I did the marathon pack out a few years ago we killed 2 in 3 days and packed them out. Was interesting but nice having someone else there. I just feel it is part of the hunt and have never had a interest in pack horses. Though the older I get the tougher it gets
    Last edited by 25contender; 12-21-2017 at 08:30 PM.
    DIY Public land Elk hunts are not for everyone but everyone should try it at least once in their lifetime. And for all those younger guys that say I don't have the time, I don't have the money, I'm out of shape or I don't have the experience to do a trip. I only have a few things to say. Take the time to make a experience, Save the money to make the trip, Get in shape so you will enjoy the hunt and the only way to get the experience is to go and make it happen. Hunt on Mark!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    I don't pack #100 even on the Internet.
    Lol. That's hilarious.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 194 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    Lol. That's hilarious.
    I love pulling out my pack string scale at the trailhead after the crowd has a few "drinks" to start weighing the packs they have been talking about weighing so much......more often than not......that 80-100lb pack was 45#s

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 175 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    Defying laws of physics never works well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Figured I could amuse some of you with that one! Live and Learn!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts

I like it when they tell you how much their day packs weigh. It is usually in the 70 lb range until it hits a scale then it comes down to 30 or so if even that.

Back to packing elk, I have done my fair share of it. Usually the most that I'll pack is one hind quarter and no matter what it weights it weighs too much. I think that the most I ever packed up a hill was both rib cages off of a big bull along with the heart and liver. When I stopped with that pack I had a hard time getting going again.

And before anyone says that I should of boned it out, the person that I was packing it for liked to keep the bone in the meat. It adds flavor. I have to agree with him but when you can't walk up a hill with the pack it is time to lighten it up.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast