Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 89 Times in 32 Posts

I wear a size 13 boot. Compare that to the shoulder blade of this bull. I did my best to avoid hitting that massive bone.

Here you can see where the first arrow went through the dead center of a rib and still continued on through.

And here is the size of the Snuffer head used. Big Animals need big broadheads.

On the left is the Rothhaar Snuffer I used for this hunt compared to a Slick Trick Magnum

staysharpguide.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I rode back with ranch hand Dave and the last of the meat and the head of my bull as he explained that within 3 days, the hogs will have eaten the remaining carcass, bones and all. Nothing goes to waste in the wild. Dave said that it would be a good place to shoot the hogs that would come to feast. Back at the truck it was time to skin the bull’s skull for shipping and Kona Dave and I set about pig skinning. Ranch hand Dave wanted to take only boneless meat from the mountain. Once skinned, he removed one entire side of meat as one continuous piece from neck to ham. We flipped the pig and he repeated the process. All the while, the four dogs feasted on the bulls jaw and the tongue meat.

During butchering, the clouds rolled in and the wind increased. In no time, the visibility was less than one hundred yards and the temperature rapidly dropped. I had never experienced such a weather event. Kona Dave skinned the boar skull and was attempting to remove the bottom jaw. I told him that was not necessary and that I wanted the entire skull for the mount. He looked at Kevin and then me and explained that it is a custom or tradition that Ranch hand Dave would take the lower jaw only as this was the first hog for two of the hounds and that Dave would display the tusks. They asked if that was ok with me to surrender the skull to him. I gladly agreed because without the dogs there would be no hogs killed and without Dave's Side by side, we would be hauling beef on foot for several hours. I was happy to surrender both the pig meat and anything else he wanted for all he did for us.

staysharpguide.com

Thanks
    Congratulations

By the time we were finished with the meat we were back to blue skies and sunshine. As quickly as the clouds rolled in, they moved out . All the meat was bagged placed in the vehicles with the bull skull and we began our decent from the mountain along with the bumps and jolts and burning clutch smell. Kevin stopped several times to glass for sheep and turkey and other game he would return to hunt with other clients.Back at Dave’s camp we said our goodbyes and I tipped him for all the hard work he had done for us. We thanked the dogs and headed down the mountain and back to Kona.

This was a once in a lifetime adventure for me. I say that because I doubt I will ever return to the big island for Vancouver bull. This hunt took its toll and Im not getting any younger. I accomplished what I had set out to do and in the process, put the new drop away arrow rest through more of a rigorous test than I could hope to put it through on Wisconsin Dairy farms. It functioned flawlessly as did one of the camera mounts. The other still needs improving.

I hope to return to hunt with Patrick Fisher Hawaiian safaris but it would be for sheep and/or goats. His operation is top notch and I would eagerly recommend it to anyone looking for an adventure. To learn more about Patrick Fisher Hawaiian safaris, Check out his web site at

https://hawaiisafaris.com/

Before I would head back to Hawaii for goats, I'm headed to south Texas for a Water buffalo bow hunt, in fact prior to flying back to the mainland, I placed an online order for Grizzly, two blade, single bevel broadheads since the water buffalo I hope to encounter there, have ribs far more difficult to breach than this bull and I will need the increased penetration of 2 blades and single bevel. I wish I would have used them on this hunt. I think far fewer arrows would have been required to get the job done.

Mahalo for reading.

Here is a video of this Hawaiian Adventure.

staysharpguide.com

4. The Following 3 Users Say Congratulations to Stay Sharp For This Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts
    Wow..great hunt.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 220 Times in 30 Posts
    Dang sharp that awsome
    Trying like hell to live the dream,Nomad

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It was a rush. Now I'm looking forward to Water Buffalo.
    staysharpguide.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Right on! Good trip it looks like! Lots of meat. Are you shipping thie bull skull home?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, the bull skull is being shipped to me.
    staysharpguide.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For the broadhead I'll be trying both Wensel Woodsman and Snuffer. They are similar but the Snuffer is a larger diameter head. Both heads are the same weight (125 grains). a 5mm washer between the most popular betting sites
 end of the shaft and the back of the broadhead to spread the load over the end pf the shaft.

Thanks
    Congratulations

The portion of the hide I cut off my bull for the mount and the partially cleaned skull arrived via Fedx yesterday. The skull still needs a lot of work and I need to tan the hide for the mount and make the plaque.

staysharpguide.com

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast