Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 220 Times in 41 Posts

That sound like the perfect winter project CC

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 7 Posts
    Small california mule deer buck. I was in a walking boot but still needed crutches to walk. I was so excited after I shot him I drove back and picked up camp and drove home that night!

3. The Following User Says Congratulations to Never in Doubt For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 101 Times in 21 Posts
    Whitetail doe here in Pennsylvania with my dad's 30-06. Shot right through a 2" sapling and hit her. Had to put another round in her when we caught up with her about 200 yards away. All I had to shoot at was her neck and she didn't move again. A family friend from church let us use his stand and he was came along for the recovery. Got the hide tanned and still have it at my parent's place.

5. The Following User Says Congratulations to Wyoming Hart For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 94 Times in 16 Posts
    Whitetail doe with a bow when I was 13. Gut shot her and followed blood till dark, walked home to get a lantern (my dad swore by lantern light for blood trailing) and my dad talked me into waiting till morning. We found her in a creek about 50 yds from where I left off the night before. Was sure nice having my dad there to walk me through the field dressing!!
    Last edited by boiler; 12-14-2017 at 08:34 PM.

7. The Following User Says Congratulations to boiler For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 100 Times in 27 Posts
    Mine was a whitetail doe, when I was 9, and it comes with a story...

I was walking back to the cabin on opening morning, at about 9am, because I was FREEZING! Stupid rubber boots and cotton socks.
    I made it to our pond dam, when I looked across the pond, and there was a doe standing there. I dropped down, and made a perfect shot. She ran about 75 yards (they all run about 75 yards with a .270), and died. My dad shows up a little later, we talk, I go back to the deer, he walks up to the cabin to get the atv.

I hear the atv coming, it's right over the hill crossing the pond dam, only 100 yards away. A few minutes go by, he should be here by now.... I walk up to the top of the hill, and see a big hole in the ice, 4 upside down atv tires, and an orange hat sitting out on the ice.

I run down as fast as I can, screaming the entire way, until I get to the pond where the atv went in. I'm screaming for my dad, getting ready to jump in, when I stop yelling long enough to hear my dad very quietly say "I'm over here." He was sitting against a tree about 15 feet away, completely soaked, and covered head to toe in mud.

He had gotten high centered on an icy log, and had slid into the pond. The atv rolled over on him, pinning him to the bottom, underneath it. Thankfully, after about 50 years of silting in, the pond was shallow, and there was a bunch of soft mud that allowed him to dig out before he drowned.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 268 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post

I was walking back to the cabin on opening morning, at about 9am, because I was FREEZING! Stupid rubber boots and cotton socks.
    I made it to our pond dam, when I looked across the pond, and there was a doe standing there. I dropped down, and made a perfect shot. She ran about 75 yards (they all run about 75 yards with a .270), and died. My dad shows up a little later, we talk, I go back to the deer, he walks up to the cabin to get the atv.

I hear the atv coming, it's right over the hill crossing the pond dam, only 100 yards away. A few minutes go by, he should be here by now.... I walk up to the top of the hill, and see a big hole in the ice, 4 upside down atv tires, and an orange hat sitting out on the ice.

I run down as fast as I can, screaming the entire way, until I get to the pond where the atv went in. I'm screaming for my dad, getting ready to jump in, when I stop yelling long enough to hear my dad very quietly say "I'm over here." He was sitting against a tree about 15 feet away, completely soaked, and covered head to toe in mud.

He had gotten high centered on an icy log, and had slid into the pond. The atv rolled over on him, pinning him to the bottom, underneath it. Thankfully, after about 50 years of silting in, the pond was shallow, and there was a bunch of soft mud that allowed him to dig out before he drowned.
    Wow, glad he made it out.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 778 Times in 131 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post

Holy crap! Wow that had to be scary for both of you. Glad he was ok.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234