Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 40 Posts

Weight loss and working out

Ok if im being honest i need to loose 50 lbs and get more physically fit after working outside most of my life now a manager and way more stationary. Blood pressure is slightly high but under control with meds. My gal is kinda a gym rat (crossfit) and has lost 60 lbs and loves working out asked me to do a 6 week program with her that we started on Sunday. It involves a change in diet and working out. Here's the issue im starving and she has skipped her morning gym workout to workout with me at home but her tapes and routines that she does just annoy me. Too much dancing around and no real strenuous exercise. I was wondering if anyone had a plan or routine sets and reps that they could share? Figured id ask here as im like most of us here almost 50 had knee and back surgeries and work and hike but not like i used too. Been doing the couch to 5k running program for carido.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,441 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 886 Times in 153 Posts
    The cross fit thing is too much for me. I hate gyms so I do my own work puts at home.

If your starving you need to eat more. Gradually decrease your food intake till you get to your intake goals.
    Find a exercise routine that gets your heart rate up and after your done makes you feel like you just worked your butt off, then top that work out each day.
    Say your on a stair stepper and get to 50 stairs for 5 reps. The next day try and do 55, the next day 60 and so on.
    This works for me. I can get my first work out in and get a base line then increase from there. You will loose weight and get fit. You have to eat! Don't starve yourself!
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 40 Posts
    Eating lots just no flavor or staying power to it. Low carb and no extra fat would rather not eat most of it then have to force it down

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would fine some foods that are more pleasing to eat then. I'm very limited to what I eat. I don't care for vegetables much and I can only eat a few salads then I'm over it.
    Try some new things you haven't had before.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    You can start off with portion control. Eat similar to your norm but cut it in half.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 18 Posts
    That C2-5K program is excellent. I've used it as a jumpstart many times, it works if you stick to it. Ikeepitcold's advice is solid. Reduce portion sizes and increase the frequency of your food intake. I have limited myself to 3 normal meals a day with measured snacks in between so I'm eating about six or seven times per day and trying to drink as much water as I can in between. Coupled with exercise this will work but, like Rome, your weight wasn't built in a day so patience and persistence are the keys. Good Luck, work hard and you'll get there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to THelms For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    It's hard to make all those changes at once. What worked for me was to find a goal to work towards. Mine was an elk hunt. I really, really, really like crossfit. I think it is the best thing you can do. But, you might just find a YMCA or local gym with cardio equipment. Work up to 1 hour a day, 4-5 days a week with increasing intensity. Treadmill, elliptical, bikes, stairmaster... I used that time to watch YouTube videos on elk hunting that kept me motivated. Once you begin to drop some weight and feel better, then you may want to revisit the crossfit thing.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dru.bishop73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 11 Posts
    I am following this one closely because I am in almost the same boat. My wife also lost a good deal of weight just eating vegetables and those workout videos, which I was not able to do for more than a month. Didn't lose a pound, but did feel better. Patience and persistence are partly where I am lacking. I do think the portion control is also good. The size of your stomach will shrink and you won't feel so hungry is what I have been told, but one splurge and I am back to the same old being hungry. Also I followed marcusdvk on here and his progress for awhile, but I fell of the wagon, so following this one now, too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm 60 years old and 5' 10". I retired from the Marine Corps in 2000 and over the years my weight got higher and higher, when I hit 275 I made an effort to loose weight and got down to 235, I stayed there for the next 5 years until this year when I decided to get back to 190 lbs. I'm down to 205 and still loosing about 2 pounds every week or two. My process is first and foremost: portion control. Your body can burn calories more efficiently if you eat many small meals rather than a couple of big meals. Next, never eat your evening meal after 6 PM, it gives your body time to start the digestion process before you fall asleep. And finally, don't drink soft drinks or eat high sugar foods or snacks.

While I'm not a Crossfit enthusiast, I will say that it works if you follow their diet and exercise recommendations with the added benefit of having better stamina; all things that will help when you hunt. Check out the information they provide about fat, carb, and protein ratios, that's the key to reducing weight. Your body uses fat, carbs, and protein for energy with fat being the most easily processed when there is an immediate need for energy. The problem is that our relatively sedate life styles have made our bodies change from using carbs and protein for our long term energy needs to using fat so our body thinks that it needs bigger fat reserves in order to meet our energy needs. Once you adjust the ratio of those energy sources and you force your body to return to normal you'll loose weight and your overall condition will improve.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rammont For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 257 Times in 103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nv-hunter View Post
    Ok if im being honest i need to loose 50 lbs and get more physically fit after working outside most of my life now a manager and way more stationary. Blood pressure is slightly high but under control with meds. My gal is kinda a gym rat (crossfit) and has lost 60 lbs and loves working out asked me to do a 6 week program with her that we started on Sunday. It involves a change in diet and working out. Here's the issue im starving and she has skipped her morning gym workout to workout with me at home but her tapes and routines that she does just annoy me. Too much dancing around and no real strenuous exercise. I was wondering if anyone had a plan or routine sets and reps that they could share? Figured id ask here as im like most of us here almost 50 had knee and back surgeries and work and hike but not like i used too. Been doing the couch to 5k running program for carido.
    I am not your age but had a similar moment not long ago. I realized that I had put on a bunch of weight after my first little girl was born two years ago. I have had knee and ankle surgery as well as a lot of abuse from playing hockey for years not to mention some insane pack outs and manual labor. I weighed myself this morning and I am now down 30+ lbs from that moment and am actually lower weight wise than I have been in quite a while.

Here are a few of things I stuck to, and they were rules given to me. No credit here to myself, tried and true principles.

1. If my whole body doesn't move, it's probably not worth my time. Kettle bell swings, squats, and jerk/cleans have become a staple. Flipping my tractor tire rather than heavy squats, plus dragging it and beating with a sledge hammer. Very few isolation exercises but when I do them, I am typically standing in ready position. Is that cheating on curls and tri-extensions? Maybe but it helps keep my inner meat head happy.

2. Portion control. Why am I typing this on Thanksgiving? Seriously, my favorite meal all year! Well there won't be two helpings this year, and if I do it will be turkey, I will be skipping too many carbs. However, if I am consistent year round it won't kill me to enjoy myself on Thursday a little bit. Just back to controlled eating on Friday.

3. Workout in the morning, this one is the toughest with my little ones. Reality is though as I get older I need to jumpstart my metabolism and this is a great way to do it.

4. 4-5 workouts per week. Keep them short, rarely do I go over 45 minutes but I get 3 super sets of 6 exercises in. This gets my heart rate up and helps me stay moving.
    https://www.eastmans.com
    https://blog.eastmans.com
    https://www.wingmen.us
    https://www.instagram.com/eastmanshuntingjournals/

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast