Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 158 Times in 40 Posts

Thanks for all the support and the tips.

After reading your posts I'm going to try to
    1 cut out as many carbs as I can. This is rough as beer was a food group.
    2 reduce portion size and change types of foods I eat. I'm the cook and tend to cook like grandma did on the ranch.
    3 work out with some weights doing some exercises and combos of them I found online ( have to start some where right?)
    4 Try new recopies low cal and carb I know me so counting anything won't last neither will eating salad or the same thing day after day
    5 walking and jogging every other day on top of my work outs
    6 stay positive and set some goals

Thanks all and Ill try to post updates

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 339 Times in 57 Posts
    nv-hunter

Also, you need to realize, you won't get in shape over night or even next month. It will take time. Be commited and come up with a routine.

the food will be the hard one. But remember food is fuel, not entertainment.

don't skip beer though, you have to live.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 158 Times in 40 Posts
    I was raised that you eat to live not live to eat. And if you take more the 10 seconds to pick something to eat your not hungry your bored so close tbe dang fridge im not paying to refrigerate the house and go outside and do something! Lol
    My issue is beer and how i cook i make lots of old fashioned type meals.
    Ive watched how hard my gal has worked and know this is a lifestyle change not a diet. Im irritated and hungry hope she doesn't smother me in my sleep.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I read somewhere "you can't out train a poor diet". The older we get the truer this becomes. Beer and bread will make it tougher to reach your goals.
    Nobody said it was easy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LaHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 76 Times in 19 Posts
    I?m 63 and work at a desk an awful lot. I identified three issues - I snack when I?m stressed, I snack after supper and a desk job at my age burns very few calories. I also come from a family in which others had past addiction issues and I thought I escaped all that until i had to admit that if I eat just one bite of something sweet I can?t stop myself until the whole whatever is gone. ?My name is Dave and I am a sugar-holic.?

I?ve lost 25 lbs in 5 months by replacing carbs with protein like replacing cereal with eggs and bacon and by treating sugar as a dangerous substance. I?ve had my ups and downs with that and just have to start a new streak. Also got over picturing salads as chick food. I took Phentermine for a couple months as an appetite suppressant and that also helped a lot in getting me started. Also doing more hiking. I?ve got 25 more to go to hit my goal.

I look better and feel better and those are big motivators. Having 50 extra lbs is like carrying a 50 lb pack wherever you go, 24 hours a day.?Putting on an actual 50 lb backpack is like packing 100 lbs at age 63. Not fun.
    Last edited by hoshour; 11-21-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 174 Times in 28 Posts
    This is a great thread. I turned 50 this year and have been battling my love for food since I was a little guy shopping in the "husky" section for clothes.

Tried it all: grapefruit diet, Atkins, South Beach, high carb, low carb, skipping meals, tons of cardio, all weights, P90x, treadmill, stairmaster, eliptical, etc. Wife had to go gluten free three years ago so I joined her. Discovered I had an intolerance for gluten, and lost a few pounds, but made up for it with meat and cheese (my kryptonite). Other benefit of not eating gluten -- my joints don't hurt, and i don't feel bloated and gassy like i used to.

I can drop 8-10 pounds in a three weeks by cutting back, portion control, watching sodium intake. But I love, LOVE, L O V E to eat. So I work out when I can, and portion control as I can.

Best advice came from University colleague who has his masters in nutrition / health an exercise science.

Me: "what's the best diet plan / nutrition plan to cut weight."

Him: "it's simple...input and output. Take in more calories than you burn, you gain weight. Burn more than you take in, drop weight. It's not a trick...just find what works for you. If you like to eat cake, then workout more. If you don't want to work out more, cut the calories. Good trick is to fill up with empty calories so you feel full -- low calorie vegetables, water, etc. And plan in a "cheat-meal" or two per week...to satisfy those cravings."

In high school I was 215 pounds. Stopped eating so much in college, and stayed around 205. Summers while in college i worked at packing house 50-60 hours a week...would get down to 170-180, then back up to 205 in school. I've gradually watched my weigh creep up over the years...@ 220 this morning and have been in that range for last three years. I'd like to get down around 205, but as long as I feel good, and the clothes fit, I don't worry to much about it.

Stay strong and keep us posted! Good luck!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,950 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 291 Times in 95 Posts
    A lot of great advice here. One more thing to add- Do not eat 3 hours prior to going to bed.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,202 Times in 1,515 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 257 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecollector View Post
    A lot of great advice here. One more thing to add- Do not eat 3 hours prior to going to bed.
    And drink 12 ounces of water immediately when you wake up.
    https://www.eastmans.com
    https://blog.eastmans.com
    https://www.wingmen.us
    https://www.instagram.com/eastmanshuntingjournals/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 70 Times in 12 Posts
    Thanks guys for great suggestions and motivation. Time to get back on the wagon.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 339 Times in 57 Posts

one thing that I have found is this. I am 48 and have been in pretty good shape all of my life. Starting in the mid 30's, I learned every few years, I have to up my game. it might be small, like cutting out a certain food, or major. but either way. I have had to up my game every couple of years, just to maintain.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast