Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 53 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nv-hunter View Post
    Sure wish nevada would change up seasons and go back to pick your weapon for bucks bulls and antelope.
    Need to give these animals some breaks on preasure. I think it would make for better hunts.
    I'm confused because we do have to pick our weapon, rifle, bow or muzzle loader. That is the season you have to hunt and if you're unsuccessful you're done. Unlike some states that allow you to hunt every successive season until you are successful.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Extrapale View Post
    You're way past due. I drew elk with 7, antelope with 9, and 3 deer tags over that time.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
    It'd be nice to draw a tag... Are you a Nevada Resident? Holy Smokes, if you are a Non-Res go buy me a lottery ticket!

Perhaps this will be the year... I'm 55 years old, so I sure hope I draw soon! hahaha

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 113 Times in 30 Posts
    GR8
    I'm talking about not being able to apply for rifle and archery on the same app like it was before. Or change how they divide tags between each weapon class. As it stands now it based on demand from looking at first choice only is my understanding. IE if you apply for 192-194 late rifle they look at that as a rifle hunter even if you put in 4 other choices for archery.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 121 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    It'd be nice to draw a tag... Are you a Nevada Resident? Holy Smokes, if you are a Non-Res go buy me a lottery ticket!

Perhaps this will be the year... I'm 55 years old, so I sure hope I draw soon! hahaha
    Non resident. None of them were premium units by Nevada standards, but all were good to fantastic hunts. My elk hunt was unbelievable compared to anything I've been on in Oregon, Idaho, or Montana.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 153 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nv-hunter View Post
    GR8
    I'm talking about not being able to apply for rifle and archery on the same app like it was before. Or change how they divide tags between each weapon class. As it stands now it based on demand from looking at first choice only is my understanding. IE if you apply for 192-194 late rifle they look at that as a rifle hunter even if you put in 4 other choices for archery.
    I am a little confused so bare with me, I do not think your statement is correct. Here in NV we get 5 choices, when your number is drawn they go down the list. If there are no tags available for your 1st choice they move on to your second choice. Doesn't matter what weapon is in what spot. For example, I typically apply for rifle first and muzzleloader/archery the remaining 4 choices. One year I got muzzleloader, the last 3 years I got archery and typically my last choice.

Is this what you were talking about?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdub24 View Post
    I am a little confused so bare with me, I do not think your statement is correct. Here in NV we get 5 choices, when your number is drawn they go down the list. If there are no tags available for your 1st choice they move on to your second choice. Doesn't matter what weapon is in what spot. For example, I typically apply for rifle first and muzzleloader/archery the remaining 4 choices. One year I got muzzleloader, the last 3 years I got archery and typically my last choice.

Is this what you were talking about?

I think he's talking about forcing applicants to choose a weapon and make all of their choices for hunt codes with that weapon ... Was that ever the case in NV? I think NV-Hunter says it "used to be" the case for you guys. I've been applying for NV tags for 7 years and its n ot been the case in that time.

I am not certain the choose your weapon application strategy has any impact on harvest rates but it probably does impact draw odds. If Washington is any indication, not for the better... We have to choose rifle or archery and then apply only for hunts with those codes... unless we pay an additional $168 for a "Multi-season" tag, which is a seperate draw... and very difficult to draw in the case of Elk... It's an easy draw for deer. But it makes your resident tag close to $200! Our system is so messed up I'd never wish it on another state.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 153 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I think he's talking about forcing applicants to choose a weapon and make all of their choices for hunt codes with that weapon ... Was that ever the case in NV? I think NV-Hunter says it "used to be" the case for you guys. I've been applying for NV tags for 7 years and its n ot been the case in that time.
    Each unit will have 3 different hunt codes, for example, unit 1 will have a hunt code for any legal weapon, muzzleloader, and archery. I do not remember it being any other way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 121 Times in 23 Posts
    I believe what NV-Hunter is saying is Nevada sets tag numbers based on demand for tags. For example, if 90% of hunters apply for rifle tags as their first choice, NDOW will use their formula to allot about 90% of the tags in a unit to rifle seasons.

It probably uses an algorithm based on projected success rates for each weapon class also.

Say of those 90% who applied for rifle tags, 30 % of them applied for muzzleloader and or archery tags on choices 2-5. Muzzy and bow seasons would not be correctly weighted for tag allocations in this scenario.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Extrapale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 113 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdub24 View Post
    Each unit will have 3 different hunt codes, for example, unit 1 will have a hunt code for any legal weapon, muzzleloader, and archery. I do not remember it being any other way.
    Correct each weapon type has its own hunt code (ie. 4111 is antlerless archery, 4176 is antlerless muzzleloader, and 4181 is antlerless any legal weapon) and when I started hunting in Nv you could only apply for one hunt code on an application, all archery hunts or muzzleloader ect. By allowing mixed choices its made it harder to draw certain premium tags because a archery hunter can put late season rifle as a choice even tho they would prefer to hunt late archery but pick rifle because everyone has a shot with our system. Then if he puts the rifle hunt as first choice it shows more demand for rifle tags and when tag allocations are made they following year it shows higher demand and they move more tags away from archery and muzzleloader to the rifle hunt to satisfy that demand.

Cold sorry I didn't mean to high jack this thread, I'll try to start one tonight with changes we'd like to see made to make it better for all of us and the animals.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 53 Posts

If you really wanted to limit the applications why not go back to forcing everyone to pay up-front for all their tags and license? You would eliminate everyone who couldn't afford to pay all that $$ up-front then wait for their refund.
    That's the way it used to be.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast