Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 175 Times in 29 Posts

4 coyotes down tonight!

Last 2 nights have been the best calling of my life, 6 yotes in 3 stands.

Tonight I went out again at 3:30 to try calling. Wind was considerably stronger at 15mph from SSE. I set up with the call/decoy on one side of a finger of a pasture draw and I sat next to a little thicket on the other side. The plan was for the call's sound to be able to carry with the wind and coyotes would be able to approach it from straight downwind without scenting me. The plan actually worked! I used a screaming rabbit for 12 minutes with no coyotes so I did a few howls and silence for a bit. I then hit the pup distress and a pair came, they must have been close already. One hung up and the other came in and gave me a broadside 120yd shot. The call went to a different distress on the Foxbang feature and the second came in about 30 seconds later. It came hard and I had to bark to stop it 40yds from the call, got it dropped too. I let the distress run off and on for 10 more minutes and was about ready to leave when I spotted movement. Another pair was coming in the same way as the first. They were coming good until they hit the scent trail from the dead coyotes and they spooked. One gave me a stopped shot at about 130yds but I had to shoot down into his back as he was facing straight away. He dropped at the shot and I swung to the last coyote. I got it stopped with a bark and short howl I improvised with my mouth at 204yds and dropped him too. When I went to gather them all up I discovered the 3rd yote I shot down into had crippled into a hole about 40yds off. He dropped into big grass and must have crawled into it. The blood trail was massive and I'm almost certain his spine was broke, so he didn't survive long just long enough to get out of reach. They are tough suckers. I got pics of the other 3 if I can make them work. These cool misty nights are proving good for coyote calling. This is the first time I've taken more than 2 from one set by myself. The AR is 6 for 6 now if I count the one that made it into the hole. I am sure I'd have recovered him if he wouldn't have had that hole to crawl in, he had to be darn near out of blood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0804.JPG  

2. The Following 14 Users Say Congratulations to mcseal2 For This Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 778 Times in 131 Posts
    Man your on the dogs! Great job.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 750 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 198 Times in 66 Posts
    Dude! You're on fire!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm going to try to get done early enough to make it out tonight. Today is going to be warmer, sunny, and windy so conditions won't be as good but I can't quit just yet if I can get done working quick enough to get a set or two in.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 73 Times in 17 Posts
    Pretty dogs there, like those light colored ones. Going to sell any hides this year?
    How's your rabbit population this year? We've been on an upswing last couple of years and the lopers are doing really well out here. Sounds like they really like your setup and calling.
    Thanksgiving coyote hunt is in the works for us.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There are plenty of rabbits, no major distemper or mange outbreaks in a while so both populations are doing well. I give my hides to a local kid that traps, just not enough money in them around here for me to want to spend the time on hide prep. I'd rather spend my free time shooting them! Those were some darn good looking dogs though. Fur harvesting season opens today here but I don't think we've had enough cold to make good pelts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 7 Posts
    ar15 nice!

what load or grain bullets do you shoot?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    55gr V max loaded by RAM ammo. It groups better in that rifle than the more expensive stuff with the same bullet. It's moving 2964fps from the 20" AR.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 750 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 198 Times in 66 Posts
    Sweet Rig. What is it?

Thanks
    Congratulations

Thanks guys.

It's a DPMS Prairie Panther in MO Brush camo with a Jard 2lb trigger. I have a Primos Rapid Pivot bipod stud on the handguard I attach my bipod to. I painted the bipod tan to blend into grass better. I have a Bushnell 3200 Firefly 2.5-10x50 scope on it in Burris PEPR mounts. I got the scope on another rifle in a trade and had it sitting around. With the Burris mount the big 50mm objective doesn't affect mounting height so this was a good spot to use it. The power ring turns super easy on this scope so it's real easy to adjust to a close or far yote.

It didn't shoot great from the factory but I really liked the weight and feel of it. I talked to my gunsmith and he suggested lapping the barrel. We gave that a try and it went from 1.5" to consistently under .75" with the same ammo. After it started shooting well enough for me I knew I would keep it and spent the money on the good trigger. That certainly didn't hurt my accuracy either now I get quite a few groups of .5" when I put it on the bench.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast