Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts

All of the states need a common opening date.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 22 Posts
    I'm just glad it's only from January thru the end of April. I wouldn't be happy if it was year round! I don't shed hunt so have no skin in the game. I do pick up sheds I find when I'm turkey hunting in the spring, hiking in the summer, or even hunting in the fall. Looks like it really only effects the actual shed hunter for the most part?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 215 Times in 48 Posts
    The way that I read it is if you find a shed you better have that permit in your pocket, along with not being able to pick one up during the closed time.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,228 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 410 Times in 105 Posts
    I really think for the average person who is in the woods and finds a shed, they should be able to keep it without a $40 permit. How about just counting our resident hunting license as our permit. There is a problem, but this is just going too far for me.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    The way that I read it is if you find a shed you better have that permit in your pocket, along with not being able to pick one up during the closed time.
    I just re-read it... you might be right? If so, this is really ridiculous! I'm all in favor of making the actual shed hunters comply to closures and seasons and to a lesser degree a permit but making it so you can't pick up a shed anywhere in the state no matter the time of year without a permit seems a little to drastic. We will all pay for the sins of a few...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 8 Posts
    Colorado Cowboy makes a great point. Let the hunting license cover the sheds you find if you happen to pick one up during hunting season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 277 Times in 59 Posts
    Although I am not happy about the license fee I will pay it seeing how I spend a lot of time in the spring and summer searching for sheds! I definitely don?t do it for a fiscal gain but I do enjoy the exercise and seeing what animals made it through the winter. What bothers me most is the fact there is another regulation that I worry will not be enforced. The guys that want to go pick them up before season will still do so. This only effects those of us that already respect the animals and don?t push them on winter range!!
    I experienced this first hand in the northwest corner of Colorado this past year. The area was closed due to the severe winter. We arrived the day before to set up camp and saw multiple people collecting antlers before it opened. Even got pictures of two guys with a load of antlers on their Atvs that broke down in the middle of the trail. Got their license plate and turned it all over to DOW. Nothing came of it! Rule breakers will still continue to do what they want with no regard to the law or the wildlife!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 178 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElkTrout View Post
    Although I am not happy about the license fee I will pay it seeing how I spend a lot of time in the spring and summer searching for sheds! I definitely don?t do it for a fiscal gain but I do enjoy the exercise and seeing what animals made it through the winter. What bothers me most is the fact there is another regulation that I worry will not be enforced. The guys that want to go pick them up before season will still do so. This only effects those of us that already respect the animals and don?t push them on winter range!!
    I experienced this first hand in the northwest corner of Colorado this past year. The area was closed due to the severe winter. We arrived the day before to set up camp and saw multiple people collecting antlers before it opened. Even got pictures of two guys with a load of antlers on their Atvs that broke down in the middle of the trail. Got their license plate and turned it all over to DOW. Nothing came of it! Rule breakers will still continue to do what they want with no regard to the law or the wildlife!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is the constant battle. I see other states following suit and when that happens we will really see if enforcement can be done.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 87 Times in 11 Posts
    Yep they’re going to do it they need to get serious about it ,they need to make the fines More than just a slap on the wrist maybe even make it part of operation game thief. Maybe get other branches of law-enforcement involved sheriffs, forest service ,BLM. There’s no way they have the manpower to try and enforce it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 230 Times in 46 Posts

From listening to the meetings the intent of the law is not to make a average joe hunter/hiker not be able to pick up a shed when they are out hunting or randomly find one. They too seem to feel as if that is not a realistic goal. The intent of the shed season is rather to address what has become a multi-state commercial industry..

The commissioners are listening to all takes on this and I agree that if you have a hunting or fishing license you should not need a extra $40 it should be included. There was also talk of only needing the license for the first month or 2 of the "season" as well as other options.

So if you have input let them know because the commissioners seem to be listening (somewhat rare) on how the "season" will be implemented.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast