Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 142 Times in 21 Posts

Better group from my 7mm Rem Mag?

Didn't really need a new gun, but back in the day I won two fantasy football leagues and had $1k burning a hole in my pocket. Being a lefty meant my choices were limited.

Found a beautiful left-handed Winchester model 70, 7mm Rem Mag on Gunbroker and sealed the deal for right around $600. Stainless with red-ish wood stock. PO had purchased the gun and took to Africa for plains game hunt. I put a stainless Leupold Vari-X III, 4.5x10 40mm on top and parked it in my gun safe.

Shot it a few times, but could never get good groups. No where near as tight as my lefty A-Bolt -06.

I've been shooting primarily Federal Vital-Shok 150 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullets out of the 7MAG. Picked up a box of Hornady Superformance 139gr SST's but haven't got to the range yet.

Buddy at work said that gun, with 1:9.25 twist would group better with 160+ grain bullets.

Thoughts on bigger bullets? I don't hand load.

Use this gun primarily for Mule Deer in Nebraska, but would like to Elk hunt in next 2-3 years.

Thanks, D.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 174 Times in 83 Posts
    Heavier bullets generally perform better with the faster calibers like this IME. My .300 WBY loved 180 or bigger, my .300 Win did very well with the Hornady 180 and 200 grain options.

Another general rule, when a gun doesn't shoot a factory load well the reloading bench is the next stop that needs to happen. I have one rifle that will take just about any factory load and shoot it well, all the rest want something with a little more precision.

I will admit though, that my experience with the 7mm calibers is fairly limited but I believe Todd has some experience and he reloads a bit.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 7 Posts
    Try a few and see.

a 140 or 150 TSX type bullet might act like a heavier bullet being a longer bullet, so if you want a lighter bullet that may shoot better I'd look to the TSX variety.

I'd grab a few boxes, and see what group best, 140, 150, 160, 168.

Sometimes a rifle has a different plan than we do... ie., wanting to shoot a 150 or 165 from a 300mag, sometimes they only like what they like.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    With the twist you have 160 and lighter will shoot better. Higher the twist number = less twist. But just because you buy a smaller grain factory round doesn't mean it will shoot better, some guns are fussy. I do reload for my 7mm rem mag.
    Last edited by pikeman1; 11-07-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    7mm rem mag
    Benchmark heavy barrel 26"/ black cerakote
    Timney calvin elite trigger
    Nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56/ scope level
    Bell and Carlson stock/bedded

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 73 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daubs View Post
    Buddy at work said that gun, with 1:9.25 twist would group better with 160+ grain bullets.

Thoughts on bigger bullets? I don't hand load.

Use this gun primarily for Mule Deer in Nebraska, but would like to Elk hunt in next 2-3 years.

Thanks, D.
    The reason the lighter bullets aren't shooting is NOT because of the twist...usually longer, heavier bullets are prone to not shooting well in slower twist barrels.

For a 7 RM, you should be good up to 175's with a 1:9.25...and anything under 175 for sure.

Lots of things cause accuracy...and, conversely, a lack of same. Powder, seating depth, primers, brass, bedding issues, pressure points, etc. etc. etc.

The 7RM's I've loaded for usually liked something in the 140-160 range.

My 7 RM likes 160 AB's and IMR4831...it also liked 160 partitions too.

Rem. 700 bdl, Factory barrel, bedded, floated, timney trigger at 3lbs, Leupold 3-9x40, straight up hunting rig, nothing fancy at all.

160 AB's, 300 yards...3 shots.

5 Shots at 550 yards...was under 3.5" for 4...panicked and shanked one right, that opened up the group to just about 5".

Just shot this rifle a couple hours ago...stacked 2 at 250, third was about .4 inches left...just a pinch over .5 at 250 yards, see no reason to mess with it.

Give the 160's a whirl, cant hurt.

If you need some load data...pm me.
    Last edited by BuzzH; 11-07-2017 at 07:11 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BuzzH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 746 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 197 Times in 66 Posts
    I echo others comments. Try a bit heavier bullet for caliber (160-175). I think you'll be surprised.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts
    I really believe all serious hunters and shooter should be reloading. First...you will find a load that your particular gun likes; 2nd ....you will save money in the long run. It will allow you to shoot a lot more and the more you shoot, the better you get.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I really believe all serious hunters and shooter should be reloading. First...you will find a load that your particular gun likes; 2nd ....you will save money in the long run. It will allow you to shoot a lot more and the more you shoot, the better you getand the more money you will spend reloading rounds to shoot more.

Added a little bit for you in red. Reloading is a curse, you will strive for perfection and even when you reach it you will try to do better.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 16 Posts
    Love some 7mm, doesn?t matter what flavor! I?ve had my best luck in the magnums with 160?s and heavier. That said, if you don?t want to get into reloading try the new Hornady Precision Hunter in .7mm Rem Mag. I don?t personally know anyone whose rifle didn?t like that load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to THelms For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts

I think what we need to ask is what kind of groups is it shooting now with the ammo that you have.

Some rifles will never shoot less than a 1" pattern at 100 yards unless you do a lot of work to them. Where others will make a nice cloverleaf with 3 shots at 100 right out of the box.

Remember this is a hunting rifle and not a target shooting rifle.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast