Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 174 Times in 83 Posts

Who Taught You How To Process Meat?

Admittedly, with two girls under two years old I have been bringing my meat to the processor the last two years due to schedule and time, etc. With all that said I have been wanting to fine tune my craft for when I start to do this again. Who taught you how to process?

For the most part I was self taught from resources like THIS. Other things like YouTube videos we did on the gutless method helped tremendously as well.

So just curious, who taught you and how much do you do yourself?
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts
    My Dad taught me and I am also self taught making sausage, brats and jerky. I also don't cut roasts, just steak, bbq and ground.

I have a big commercial grinder I bought at a meat market auction. I also have a brat stuffer and sausage/burger mixer.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 268 Times in 44 Posts
    Self taught, by a lot of trial and error. I do everything, had a bad experience with a meat processor about 20 years ago, told myself I could do as bad of a job as they did for free, and I likely a lot better over time.
    I'm not perfect but I do traditional cuts, along with different smoked meats, and mixed ground meats.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 7 Posts
    I watched a fair number of videos, then I tried it for myself. The biggest thing was someone told me not to worry if I didn't get it all of in nice, perfect cuts of meat. I wasn't going to be cutting like an experienced butcher right out of the gate. So focus on simply cutting off all the meat as best you can and learn as you go. That helped.

First deer I was by myself and I wasn't sure how it would go but I got it done. Gutless method. I've never gone to a butcher since. Cut and wrap it all myself. I don't grind anything or make sausage, but I would invest in some equipment if I was hunting larger game like elk.

I guess your question was more about processing meat than out in the field. I used to vaccum pack it all, now I just wrap in plastic wrap and then butcher paper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 721 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 572 Times in 77 Posts
    My best friends dad taught me 99% of what I know. He has been in food service his entire life and really knows his stuff.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 17 Posts
    Self taught with a fair amount of trial and error. More on the making sausgae and things of that nature. The actual field part was pretty straight forward to me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 75 Times in 14 Posts
    Pretty much self taught. Lot's of trial and even more error.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 70 Times in 14 Posts
    My father took a wild game butchering class offered at the IGA grocers in Gillette WY when i was young. SO I have learned a lot from him.

I know how to break them down and steak them out and my buddy has a grinder to do burger. I cut a lot of roasts around my elk but will likely make those either into pastrami or steak them out if i run out of other steaks. I do a lot of cubed too - works great for kabobs or stew meat.

I do not do my own sausages, slim jims or summer sausage. There are so many good processors around here, I can get really good finished product and a great variety - so I just drop off 25-40 lbs of trimmed meat per batch at wherever I want. Each place has a "best" specialty - the slim jim guy is not the same as the link sausage guy is not the same as the summer sausage guy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 8 Posts
    i have butchered with my day sense i was a youngster. but he was never into it as much as me so i learned how to do a lot of different things from trial and error. we now do everything from steaks, cube steaks, meat sliced very thin with slicer, burger, roasts, smoked and raw sausage, pepperoni, jerky, caned, bacon/lunch meat, and have even rendered bear fat... we are always trying new things and different ways of using meat.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 174 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wa-hunter View Post
    i have butchered with my day sense i was a youngster. but he was never into it as much as me so i learned how to do a lot of different things from trial and error. we now do everything from steaks, cube steaks, meat sliced very thin with slicer, burger, roasts, smoked and raw sausage, pepperoni, jerky, caned, bacon/lunch meat, and have even rendered bear fat... we are always trying new things and different ways of using meat.
    I am hoping my daughters take to it and we can make it a family affair in the future. My wife wanted to work on learning how to process sausage but with the age of our kids right now it is tough.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast