Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 75
  1. #61
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

    An interesting couple of entries from days past on Grizzlies from the journals of two fellas up on a river in Montana :

    #1 (Captain Lewis, 12 May 1805)
    Captain Lewis, 12in to of the rear canoes discovered a large brown bear lying in the open grounds about 300 paces from the river, and six of them went out to attack him -all good hunters. They took the advantage of a small eminence which concealed them, and got within 40 paces of Bear's oil was a much used edible fat for many years. The Cherokees liked the oil of the black bear-of which a single animal might yield 15 gallons. Oil from Plains grizzlies was sold in New Orleans for many years. Indians sometimes flavored bear's oil with sassafras. An eighteenth-century white traveler remarks that it was "sweet and wholesome" and never cloyed the palate him, unperceived. Two of them reserved their fires as had been previously concerted; the four others fired nearly at the same time, and put each his bullet through him. Two of the balls passed through the bulk of both lobes of his lungs.

    In an instant, this monster ran at them with open mouth. The two who had reserved their fires discharged their pieces at him as he came toward them. Both of them struck him-one only slightly, and the other, fortunately, broke his shoulder. This, however, only retarded his motion for a moment. The men, unable to reload their guns, took to flight. The bear pursued, and had very nearly overtaken them before they reached the river. Two of the party betook themselves to a canoe, and the others separated and concealed them selves among the willows, [and] reloaded their pieces; each discharged his piece at him as they had an opportunity. They struck him several times again, but the guns served only to direct the bear to them. In this manner he pursued two of them, separately, so dose that they were obliged to throw away their guns and pouches, and throw themselves into the river, although the bank was nearly twenty feet perpendicular. So enraged was this animal that he plunged into the river only a few feet behind the second man he had compelled to take refuge in the water.
    When one of those who still remained on shore shot him through the head and finally killed him, they then took him on shore and butchered him, when they found eight balls had passed through him in different directions.)

    #2 Game becoming more abundant this morning, I thought it best now to lose no time or suffer an opportunity to escape in providing the necessary quantity of elk skins to cover my leather boat, which I now expect I shall be obliged to use shortly. Accordingly, I walked on shore most of the day with some of the hunters for that purpose, and killed 6 elk, 2 buffalo, 2 mule deer, and a bear. These animals were all in good order. We therefore took as much of the meat as our canoes and pirogues could conveniently carry.

    The bear was very near catching Drouilliard. It also pursued Charbonneau,who fired his gun in the air as he ran but fortunately eluded the vigilance of the bear, by secreting himself very securely in the bushes, until Drouilliard finally killed it by a shot in the head--the only shot, indeed, that will conquer the ferocity of those tremendous animals.

    Captain Lewis, 2 June 1805
    Last edited by Blackdawg; 12-28-2017 at 11:24 AM.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blackdawg For This Useful Post:


  3. #62
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4,586
    Thanks
    397
    Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Congratulations
    43
    Congratulated 174 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
    An interesting couple of entries from days past on Grizzlies from the journals of two fellas up on a river in Montana :

    #1 (Captain Lewis, 12 May 1805)
    Captain Lewis, 12in to of the rear canoes discovered a large brown bear lying in the open grounds about 300 paces from the river, and six of them went out to attack him -all good hunters. They took the advantage of a small eminence which concealed them, and got within 40 paces of Bear's oil was a much used edible fat for many years. The Cherokees liked the oil of the black bear-of which a single animal might yield 15 gallons. Oil from Plains grizzlies was sold in New Orleans for many years. Indians sometimes flavored bear's oil with sassafras. An eighteenth-century white traveler remarks that it was "sweet and wholesome" and never cloyed the palate him, unperceived. Two of them reserved their fires as had been previously concerted; the four others fired nearly at the same time, and put each his bullet through him. Two of the balls passed through the bulk of both lobes of his lungs.

    In an instant, this monster ran at them with open mouth. The two who had reserved their fires discharged their pieces at him as he came toward them. Both of them struck him-one only slightly, and the other, fortunately, broke his shoulder. This, however, only retarded his motion for a moment. The men, unable to reload their guns, took to flight. The bear pursued, and had very nearly overtaken them before they reached the river. Two of the party betook themselves to a canoe, and the others separated and concealed them selves among the willows, [and] reloaded their pieces; each discharged his piece at him as they had an opportunity. They struck him several times again, but the guns served only to direct the bear to them. In this manner he pursued two of them, separately, so dose that they were obliged to throw away their guns and pouches, and throw themselves into the river, although the bank was nearly twenty feet perpendicular. So enraged was this animal that he plunged into the river only a few feet behind the second man he had compelled to take refuge in the water.
    When one of those who still remained on shore shot him through the head and finally killed him, they then took him on shore and butchered him, when they found eight balls had passed through him in different directions.)

    #2 Game becoming more abundant this morning, I thought it best now to lose no time or suffer an opportunity to escape in providing the necessary quantity of elk skins to cover my leather boat, which I now expect I shall be obliged to use shortly. Accordingly, I walked on shore most of the day with some of the hunters for that purpose, and killed 6 elk, 2 buffalo, 2 mule deer, and a bear. These animals were all in good order. We therefore took as much of the meat as our canoes and pirogues could conveniently carry.

    The bear was very near catching Drouilliard. It also pursued Charbonneau,who fired his gun in the air as he ran but fortunately eluded the vigilance of the bear, by secreting himself very securely in the bushes, until Drouilliard finally killed it by a shot in the head--the only shot, indeed, that will conquer the ferocity of those tremendous animals.

    Captain Lewis, 2 June 1805
    Very cool post, and story! Thanks!
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:


  5. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    331
    Thanks
    440
    Thanked 159 Times in 87 Posts
    Congratulations
    136
    Congratulated 142 Times in 21 Posts
    Very good friend of mine live in Fairbanks, AK for a few years. Her and boyfriend camped often, and carried two things with them on every trip:

    1. Bear Spray
    2. Remington 870 loaded with slugs

    Fortunately then never had to use either option.

    That story is scary stuff...

  6. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,000
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 350 Times in 228 Posts
    Congratulations
    14
    Congratulated 209 Times in 47 Posts
    I would carry two cans of bear spray and leave that "jam-master" at home..

    The BLM carries those 870's in AK. I had to qualify with them years ago. Almost every gun they had would jam about every other shot. Pretty much on par for every 870 I ever shot in my life. lol

  7. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    wapiti, wy
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 25 Times in 14 Posts
    Congratulations
    7
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    jamming a 870 is like jamming a bolt gun, you pretty much have to set out to do it for it to happen.

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RJW For This Useful Post:


  9. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dolores, Colorado
    Posts
    5,315
    Thanks
    1,441
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Congratulations
    307
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mallardsx2 View Post
    I would carry two cans of bear spray and leave that "jam-master" at home..

    The BLM carries those 870's in AK. I had to qualify with them years ago. Almost every gun they had would jam about every other shot. Pretty much on par for every 870 I ever shot in my life. lol
    I've been shooting 870's for 40 years and have never had a problem with jamming. Their Armorer must not be cleaning them good, especially the chamber.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:


  11. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    1,119
    Thanks
    327
    Thanked 328 Times in 242 Posts
    Congratulations
    58
    Congratulated 28 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I've been shooting 870's for 40 years and have never had a problem with jamming. Their Armorer must not be cleaning them good, especially the chamber.
    An 870 was my 1st shotgun, it was a Christmas present when I was 13. I'm 36 now and not a single jam ever and I promise when I was in my teens I never cleaned my guns. Those 870's are like AK's they are just reliable.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:


  13. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Congratulations
    6
    Congratulated 6 Times in 3 Posts
    As a DIY hunter I want to have fun and be able to sleep and hunt on the move and not pack in everywhere a bear fence, bear spray and a 10mm. If I was going with an outfitter I would not worry about the bears. As a bow hunter we have enough to focus on. Therefore I don't hunt in Grizzly county where the elk call can be a dinner bell.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redbowman For This Useful Post:


  15. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    331
    Thanks
    440
    Thanked 159 Times in 87 Posts
    Congratulations
    136
    Congratulated 142 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    An 870 was my 1st shotgun, it was a Christmas present when I was 13. I'm 36 now and not a single jam ever and I promise when I was in my teens I never cleaned my guns. Those 870's are like AK's they are just reliable.
    My brother shot an 870 for years...never jammed once. My 1100...it was a jamming machine! I cleaned it religiously and wiped the rings down dry as was the recommendation back then (80's and 90's). It would jam after third shot of the day, effectively becoming a single shot.

    Almost threw it in the marsh. Gave to my buddy who worked for Cabela's and said, "See if someone there can fix this...if not, I never want to see this gun again!"

    He brought it back to me later, saying their gunsmith recommended lots and lots of Teflon based lubricants (Rem Oil). Never WD-40, as it attracts dirt. Spray down, and leave it almost dripping wet. The gas rings were getting gummed up with powder residue. Causing gun to jam.

    I did as instructed, and that gun never missed a shot from that moment forward. Heck, even dropped in the marsh, totally submerged....and it never missed a beat!

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Daubs For This Useful Post:


  17. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,000
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 350 Times in 228 Posts
    Congratulations
    14
    Congratulated 209 Times in 47 Posts

    Well, I see I am outgunned here on my hated for Remington shotguns.

    I'm glad you guys have had good luck with them.

    So I will just say to each his own and leave it at that! lol

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to mallardsx2 For This Useful Post:

    RJW

 

 
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •